R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #2536
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to tfrahm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherry2blost View Post
Are we likely to see them back judging by the Schumacher USA news?
I sure hope so, but I tend to believe that we may not unless Speed Passion picks them up as US reps or something... I wish I would have known about this earlier -- Adam called me to tell me an order I had placed was being cancelled, and at the time I just assumed they were out of stock... Although, now that I think about it, he did mention that Speed Passion was bringing up a new web site around March 1 to provide online sales of SP products... I wish I would have made the connection then and asked some questions...

I've been changing over to SP ESC's, etc. after years of buying Novak... Now...?
Biff Racing Team #420 (Ah... The "good old days"...)
The local indoor Offroad Track: The RC Race Barn
TLR22-3.0, TLR22T-2.0, TLR22SCT-1.0
tfrahm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:40 AM   #2537
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 206 (100%+)

I wonder how long they are going to be operational before closing?

I hope that Speed Passion can keep Adam and Shawn as part of a USA operation.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:55 AM   #2538
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I hate to ask, but is there any way to get the performance out of the SP LPF comparable to the Tekin RS or Mamba Max Pro? I recently installed the LPF in my sedan with an Orion Vortex 17.5 and simply cannot hang with the other guys that have gone the way of the boost/turbo. I've tried the 110 and 107 versions and prefer the 107. I'm running a 6.0 FDR with 26 degree timing on the ESC and about half the timing advance on the motor (sorry, don't have exact degrees at the moment).

Last night I pulled off the track at 170F degrees on the motor so I'm pushing it about as hard as I can. The Tekin/MMP guys are coming off the track much cooler and are faster. I'm still tinkering with gearing but I don't think that's really the issue. The other guys' acceleration AND top speed blow me away. Some are running the same car and close to same setup so it can't be that. One guy running a SP is hanging with them but still just barely hanging and his temps are way too high.

My theory is that since the other ESC's are adjusting timing based on RPM they are essentially shifting gears. At low RPM they have the torque of low timing advance then it increases at higher RPM when the load isn't as great. This generates less heat so they can gear higher. Correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm a bit of a noob in this area.

Can we expect the next software update to get the Speed Passion LPF on the same level as the Tekin? Am I just missing something and it already is if setup properly?
Numburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #2539
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Well the fact that Adam and Shawn haven't posted in this thread for awhile, we might not get the level of "forum support" from Speed Passion and/or Schumacher.

This is not good at all.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 AM   #2540
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Things are being worked on

Stay tuned for Monday
Old 02-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #2541
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numburn View Post
I hate to ask, but is there any way to get the performance out of the SP LPF comparable to the Tekin RS or Mamba Max Pro? I recently installed the LPF in my sedan with an Orion Vortex 17.5 and simply cannot hang with the other guys that have gone the way of the boost/turbo. I've tried the 110 and 107 versions and prefer the 107. I'm running a 6.0 FDR with 26 degree timing on the ESC and about half the timing advance on the motor (sorry, don't have exact degrees at the moment).

Last night I pulled off the track at 170F degrees on the motor so I'm pushing it about as hard as I can. The Tekin/MMP guys are coming off the track much cooler and are faster. I'm still tinkering with gearing but I don't think that's really the issue. The other guys' acceleration AND top speed blow me away. Some are running the same car and close to same setup so it can't be that. One guy running a SP is hanging with them but still just barely hanging and his temps are way too high.

My theory is that since the other ESC's are adjusting timing based on RPM they are essentially shifting gears. At low RPM they have the torque of low timing advance then it increases at higher RPM when the load isn't as great. This generates less heat so they can gear higher. Correct me if I'm wrong here. I'm a bit of a noob in this area.

Can we expect the next software update to get the Speed Passion LPF on the same level as the Tekin? Am I just missing something and it already is if setup properly?
Unless you are on a really small track, I think you may be undergeared and over-timed.

Try returning the motor and ESC timing to the defaults - the reduced mechanical timing gives you some punch and temperature back. Then add teeth to the pinion.

With my 13.5 setup I had tried the "max timing, gear down" approach and it didn't work any where near as well as the "standard timing, gear up" approach.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:50 AM   #2542
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Quote:

I'm running the same LPF in my Xray T2 007 set up for RCGT...I run the 107.
duo 2 17.5
78 spur, 28 pinion 48pitch gears
FDR = 4.74
motor timing to second mark, 20 degree???
"DRRS" = 9
"AMTS = 8
car is fast and has good bottom end as well...I run on aspalt tracks..just watch your motor temps...and were all waiting for a program update
The Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:56 AM   #2543
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

as much as i love adam, not in a gay way, sorry adam, I'm sure everything will work out fine. isn't Josh C. the speedpassion rep, or something for the usa.
#49, #25a, #91, #7, #12 the ones to watch.... UPDATE. #12 is your new AMA GNC #1

A Northwest Team of Positive actions
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 11:02 AM   #2544
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
as much as i love adam, not in a gay way, sorry adam, I'm sure everything will work out fine. isn't Josh C. the speedpassion rep, or something for the usa.
good...cause he's a gay ops I mean good guy
Old 02-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #2545
Tech Legend

have you tried a different motor?
Old 02-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #2546
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
have you tried a different motor?
No, unfortunately I don't have access to a different 17.5. I plan to eventually get a V3 but don't have the cash for it now. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the Orion and I've only gotten it to 170 that one time.

I'm going to tinker with gearing/timing some tomorrow and see what I can get it to do. The track is 50x80 I believe, carpet.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #2547
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to geubes

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hawaiian View Post
I'm running the same LPF in my Xray T2 007 set up for RCGT...I run the 107.
duo 2 17.5
78 spur, 28 pinion 48pitch gears
FDR = 4.74
motor timing to second mark, 20 degree???
"DRRS" = 9
"AMTS = 8
car is fast and has good bottom end as well...I run on aspalt tracks..just watch your motor temps...and were all waiting for a program update
Interesting. I ended up at 4.85 with motor timing set to Max DRRS at 8 and AMTS at max (8)? running 107. motor didnt get above 53 degrees C with ambient temps of 5-10 degrees (uk).
geubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #2548
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by geubes View Post
Interesting. I ended up at 4.85 with motor timing set to Max DRRS at 8 and AMTS at max (8)? running 107. motor didnt get above 53 degrees C with ambient temps of 5-10 degrees (uk).
yeah its a good setup....nice and fast
Old 02-19-2010, 01:53 PM   #2549
Tech Legend

Quote:
No, unfortunately I don't have access to a different 17.5. I plan to eventually get a V3 but don't have the cash for it now. I don't think there's anything "wrong" with the Orion and I've only gotten it to 170 that one time.

I'm going to tinker with gearing/timing some tomorrow and see what I can get it to do. The track is 50x80 I believe, carpet.
I would suggest that you :

- Reset everything on your Speedo and Radio
- Reconfigure your Speedo and Radio together as suggested by Adam on here
- See if someone could try out your motor at the track, and you try there "fast" one
Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #2550
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I think all you guys are over thinking your cars.