Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
What are some must have tools for Onroad racer? >

What are some must have tools for Onroad racer?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What are some must have tools for Onroad racer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default What are some must have tools for Onroad racer?

Just got into onroad racing and I have a ta05, looking and picking up a losi TC of some sort soon too. This hobby is fun

ANyway, I was wonder what are some must have tools for a RC Racer onroad/offroad?

I have the hex drivers, nut drivers, screwdrivers and a soldering iron.

I hate borrowing others tools and I would rather have my own.

Sorry if there is already a psot like this

thanks
Old 04-05-2009, 03:18 AM
Tech Initiate

The list could go on forever, but stick to the basics first, build your tool collection as you go. A personal must have is a body reamer.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Xenon Camber gauge, Ride height gauge, and a Tweak board. Start small and soon enough you'll have all you need.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

In my opinion, you MUST have setup tools. Check out the Hudy all in one setup station. It may seem pricey on the front end, but the quality and precision are second to none and you will never have to buy any other setup tools again. Everything is included in a very nice aluminum carrying case. You will have everything you need to check your downstops, droop, camber, toe, tweak, steering throw, ride height, etc......... Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Regional Moderator

Wire cutters/strippers, tweezers, arm reamer, snap ring pliers, X-acto knife, replacement blades, shrink wrap, electrical tape, 3M double sided tape, super glue, ty wraps, turnbuckle wrench, power strip, pit light, roll of blue shop towels, motor spray, car stand, shock holder (when building shocks), q-tips, paint brush (for cleaning the car/body), blue locktite, shoe goo.

Other things to consider picking up would be spare shims, screws, nuts, body clips, spare wire.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
Wire cutters/strippers, tweezers, arm reamer, snap ring pliers, X-acto knife, replacement blades, shrink wrap, electrical tape, 3M double sided tape, super glue, ty wraps, turnbuckle wrench, power strip, pit light, roll of blue shop towels, motor spray, car stand, shock holder (when building shocks), q-tips, paint brush (for cleaning the car/body), blue locktite, shoe goo.

Other things to consider picking up would be spare shims, screws, nuts, body clips, spare wire.
I could swear you were looking in my tool box, missed a few things though.lol
Old 04-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zdiddy
In my opinion, you MUST have setup tools. Check out the Hudy all in one setup station. It may seem pricey on the front end, but the quality and precision are second to none and you will never have to buy any other setup tools again. Everything is included in a very nice aluminum carrying case. You will have everything you need to check your downstops, droop, camber, toe, tweak, steering throw, ride height, etc......... Hope this helps.
and still.. all those camber adjustments are only accurate if the surface you are using it on is perfectly level.. which is why in my opinion a normal RPM camber gauge is more than adequate
Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nick Priest
and still.. all those camber adjustments are only accurate if the surface you are using it on is perfectly level.. which is why in my opinion a normal RPM camber gauge is more than adequate
I would have to agree and If your car has any Slop in it, The station will be off anyway... He said He was just starting out, So I don't think this is a need for now. Sure later down the road when he needs those extra 10ths of seconds, but just starting out, I think a set-up station is not top priority.

Josh

But If you have the money to blow on it, go for it
Old 04-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Not really "must have's" or tools but nice to have....pit board, tire truer for foam tires and tire warmers if you race on cold days or night racing.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Elite

Depending what car you buy the list changes somewhat.
Most kits though these days come with a small bag of tools which are enough to put the car together bar a screwdriver, I think, but I suppose you have something like that already.
For the beginner though I would recommend one thing only and that is duct tape (or gaffa tape or whatever you want to call it). Once the car is put together it will go withour problems. Your only problem is going to be crashing hence the body will suffer the most and that's where duct tape comes in handy.

One comment on the list above though. Of all the tools mentioned the body reamer is probably the most unnecessary since most kits come with the bodies predrilled in the right spots. I still don't have one after more than a decade in the hobby.

Everything else is a good idea but not really necessary and you would really have to dish out close to about one grand for all the tools and instruments. As someone already said, take it easy and buy tools when you need them.

Also I noticed you don't ask about batteries and chargers and that should be a good chunk of your budget too. Radio equipment as well and on and on. If you don't have all this, you might get scared once you find out what it costs.

Good luck.

Last edited by niznai; 04-05-2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Depending what car you buy the list changes somewhat.
Most kits though these days come with a small bag of tools which are enough to put the car together bar a screwdriver, I think, but I suppose you have something like that already.
For the begginner though I would recommend one thing only and that is duct tape (or gaffa tape or whatever you want to call it). Once the car is put together it will go withour problems. Your only problem is going to be crashing hence the body will suffer the most and that's where duct tape comes in handy.

One comment on the list above though. Of all the tools mentioned the body reamer is probably the most unnecessary since most kits come with the bodies predrilled in the right spots. I still don't have one after more than a decade in the hobby.

Everything else is a good idea but not really necessary and you would really have to dish out close to about one grand for all the tools and instruments. As someone already said, take it easy and buy tools when you need them.

Also I noticed you don't ask about batteries and chargers and that should be a good chunk of your budget too. Radoi equipment as well and on and on. If you don't have all this, you might get scared once you find out what it costs.

Good luck.

What TC kit comes with a body anymore? And even then, precut and mounted?
A body reamer is a sound investment for sure. It has more uses than you may think as well.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:25 AM
Regional Moderator

Most of the TC "kits" I've seen don't even come with a body. The vast majority of "kits" that come with pre-drilled holes aren't kits, they are RTR, and most aftermarket bodies that come pre-drilled are from the vehicle manufacturer. None of the Protoform, Parma, Black Art, etc., TC or 1/12 scale bodies come pre-drilled.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Top end kits indeed don't come with bodies, etc, I agree, but I didn't think we were talking about that for a person who is a real novice. I think it would be a waste of money. Kits like Tamiya TA05 for instance come with bodies and they are predrilled (or were some time ago). Even if I am wrong though, a body reamer is really not the first thing you need and as I said, I am doing fine without. A pair of scissors used intelligently does the same job.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:06 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by Smileyboy
Just got into onroad racing and I have a ta05, looking and picking up a losi TC of some sort soon too.
Top end kits indeed don't come with bodies, etc, I agree, but I didn't think we were talking about that for a person who is a real novice.
The OP indicated that he was considering getting a Losi TC. Hence, no included body, and the need for a body reamer. A reamer is a way better tool to use than a pair of scissors (and safer as well, since it is more controllable). Good luck making the holes for the TC wing with a pair of scissors.

A Dynamite reamer is about $17, but the Hudy is better for about $33 at Stormer. The Axial one is $9.99 at Stormer.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CarbonJoe
The OP indicated that he was considering getting a Losi TC. Hence, no included body, and the need for a body reamer. A reamer is a way better tool to use than a pair of scissors (and safer as well, since it is more controllable). Good luck making the holes for the TC wing with a pair of scissors.

A Dynamite reamer is about $17, but the Hudy is better for about $33 at Stormer. The Axial one is $9.99 at Stormer.
I've been racing for 10 years and NEVER owned a body reamer, A dremel does fine. It is nice to have it a tight squeeze. Don't think it's a must though.

Pit Board is a nice thing to have, The Hudy one is nice. Works to do the camber and what not, and the old school bubble gauges. There is a "low tech" way to test tweak too, so really it's not all needed.

Edit: Before any A-holes say a Dremel cost more than a Reamer, IF YOU DON'T HAVE A DREMEL THEN A REAMER IS A MUST.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.