R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   F1 should hire r/c racers! (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/287547-f1-should-hire-r-c-racers.html)

Greg Sharpe 04-04-2009 09:34 PM

F1 should hire r/c racers!

Watching Singapore qualifying this morning and the announcers started talking KERS tech ....and low and behold they mentioned how the teams were "developing" their battery programs. Specifically mentioning the batteries working best at temperatures just below their thermal threshold, I can't help thinking we've all got a couple decades of experience to fluff up our resumes before mailing them across the pond. :lol:

..and Kimi learned about thermal runaway on Friday!

rezenclowd3 04-04-2009 11:04 PM

Yup, poor Kimi was sitting just above a battery on a thermal runaway. The announcers, and I read somewhere on formula1.com, that the teams using the battery solution are using LI-ION batteries. I do wonder how they are getting away with charging these huge batteries every lap. I want 1 and a half minute charges as well!!:lol:

I do wonder if they would see any advantages with LIPO, LiFE or LiMg insead of Li-ION.

Atomix 04-05-2009 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by Greg Sharpe (Post 5641565)
Watching Singapore qualifying this morning and the announcers ...............

I think you mean Malaysia.

Maybe they shouldnt hire rc drivers after all :rolleyes:

TryHard 04-05-2009 02:08 AM

KERS charges from the rear brakes only, effectively converting some of the braking energy into charging energy for the batteries... which is then re-converted into power when the KERS is deployed...

Anyway, with some the limitations on the current KERS systems (amount of storage they can have / power they can produce), they are pretty much fully charged after one big stop... ;)

Some more info http://www.f1technical.net/features/...b6d89901aefaf0

HiH
Ed

SlowerOne 04-05-2009 04:05 AM

KERS systems re-charge from the engine on the overrun. On acceleration, the energy can be fed back in to the drivetrain. The batteries are rumoured to be A123 cells, not the usual NiMh, Li-on, etc. as we know them. A123 cells can be re-charged in much less time than any other type currently available, and RC has yet to experience their advantages.

The Williams flywheel system is looking better and better as the time goes on, as it is more reliable and has less control system issues. Still, I'll bet there are a load of mechanical engineers in our ranks, so get those CVs in soon! :nod:

Greg Sharpe 04-05-2009 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Atomix (Post 5642105)
I think you mean Malaysia.
Maybe they shouldnt hire rc drivers after all :rolleyes:

I've got the latest Verizon FIOS DVR, it records shows in the future. :nod: $9.95/mo, well worth it.

CarbonJoe 04-05-2009 06:23 AM

I wonder if the electrical KERS teams are using LiPo sacks? And they are charging them that quickly? Better not let ROAR find out. 1C charge rate maximum. Don't they realize that charging above 1C will reduce the life span of the pack? Oh, and that you shouldn't charge the pack in the car?

/sarcasm

Bigger Brother 04-05-2009 07:50 AM

I was "led to believe" that the batteries the F1 cars are using are not LiPo/LiIon/NiMH or even the A123 cells, due to the incredible charge rates they need to sustain (something like fully charged in 5 seconds). Additionally, the cells are completely replaced after each race weekend.

To me, the flywheel idea always seemed the better option, but given that Ferrari, Renault, McLaren AND BMW have all gone the battery route, there must be something right there ;)

Nick Priest 04-05-2009 07:56 AM

KERS is really gay!

May as well just give them another 80 horse power.. infact if F1 is supposed to be the most technologically advanced form of motorsport on the planet then I say.

Give them back:
Turbo's
V10/V12 Engines
All aero dynamic aids
Skirts
Fans
Electronics
CVT Gearboxes
2 meter wide cars not this pissy 1.8 meter

Just basically really push the car to it's limits and actually make it interesting... I mean they couldn't even race in the rain today.. what are these people.. race drivers or fanny footballers?

JoshM20 04-05-2009 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Priest (Post 5642741)
I mean they couldn't even race in the rain today.. what are these people.. race drivers or fanny footballers?

Rofl, :lol:

Syber Serulean 04-05-2009 12:46 PM

could they be Toshiba's SCiB battery?

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/12...eleases-march/

SlowerOne 04-05-2009 01:39 PM

KERS is really gay!

May as well just give them another 80 horse power.. infact if F1 is supposed to be the most technologically advanced form of motorsport on the planet then I say.

Give them back:
Turbo's
V10/V12 Engines
All aero dynamic aids
Skirts
Fans
Electronics
CVT Gearboxes

Just basically really push the car to it's limits and actually make it interesting... I mean they couldn't even race in the rain today.. what are these people.. race drivers or fanny footballers?

Are you from America? The land where they don't race anything in the rain... at all... ever? And footballers play in the cold, wet, hail, snow, ...

Guessing that you were taking the p**s about them racing in the rain, you are not alone in thinking that a return to no-holds-barred technical rules might be no bad thing. However, that isn't what Mercedes, Toyota, Ferrari, BMW and Renault want in order to be seen to relate to the real world.

Still, there's always the 'off' button on the TV... ;)

Stuart Pid 04-05-2009 02:18 PM

Formula 1 should not be a "spec" class.
Slowerone, guess you don't know much about racing in the states. We race anything from lawnmowers to snowmobiles.

trailranger 04-05-2009 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stuart Pid (Post 5643660)
Formula 1 should not be a "spec" class.
Slowerone, guess you don't know much about racing in the states. We race anything from lawnmowers to snowmobiles.

And among other things raced are MEN dressed as Drag queens. So I wouldn't act too proud of racing anything in the states.

wingracer 04-05-2009 07:32 PM

KERS is really gay!

Give them back:
Turbo's
V10/V12 Engines
All aero dynamic aids
Skirts
Fans
Electronics
CVT Gearboxes

That sounds like a great idea except for one thing, it would be physically impossible to drive the cars at their full potential. They are pulling over 5 g's now. Give them all that and they would black out in two laps. Not to mention all the drivers and spectators getting killed from 300mph crashes.