R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-03-2003, 04:23 PM   #1
Send a message via ICQ to Calvin Ng
Default Increasing Runtime And Voltage on Cells

wonderin but how do you increase runtime and voltage on cells

any battery zappers that work really well???

what are some good results?
Calvin Ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #2
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I don't think you can increase runtime without charging at a lower amperage. To increase voltage in the short term zapping can work. If you zap your looking at an increase of .01-.02 volts per cell. If your running 3300's just run them and take care of them.
fatdoggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:38 PM   #3
Tech Elite

I don't think it is possible to increase both. Since the total power output of the cell is governed by the types and amounts of chemicals inside the cell, the only thing that Zapping can do is exchange one for the other.

By zapping, the internal physical structure of the anode is changed to reduce internal resistance, thus increasing output voltage at the expense of runtime.

Higher voltage output, but reduced run time= the same TOTAL NET power output of the cell.

When I say Types and amounts of chemicals, I say this because during the manufacturing process, some cells receive more or less of any given chemical, whether its in the electrolytic solution, or in the anode and cathode. Variance in tolerance of each of these factors change the discharge characteristics of the cell. That is why "Matching" is important; to group similar cells together, so no one cell is going dead before the others, and thus becoming damaged from reverse charge polarity (that is what happens when one cell is dead, and the other 5 are still going)

So, long story short, You must trade one for the other.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2003, 04:57 PM   #4
Tech Master

I don't beleave you can increase both also... you pretty much gotta choose one or the other to increase really. and zappin does work to increase the volts but take life away from the pack... so it's a sacrfice you'll have to make kinda, or you could deadshort them but then that will take away run time tremendously so thats prolly a no but that increases them about .02-.03 volts though...
JoshR 85 is offline   Reply With Quote