Community
Wiki Posts
Search

4 wheel steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default 4 wheel steering

I have a question for you TC experts. I'm building a FWD TC. The design would lend itself to 4 wheel steering easily. Would there be any advantage to having 4 wheel steering on a front wheel drive TC? This is a racing TC, not a drifter. Thanks, Don
Old 04-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Maybe better rotation? Why would you make it FWD and not 4WD?
Old 04-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

I'm using a Tamiya FF01 front end as a "power unit". I also have a Yokomo YR-F2 in my stable-it runs very well. The car I'm building will have an inline battery pack and an As. 10L front end at the rear. I run mostly stock and FWD fascinates me. Don
Old 04-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have a ff01 there very nice cars! i think 4ws will prabably get you way better stearing around corners but stearing it at high speeds will probably have you unstable do to the reaction of the stearing and how sensitive the stearing will be.

cool project but you'll get tires of it maybe. ill stick the a hooked up ff01 car front motor front wheel drive and front stearing only
Old 04-05-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

On real cars with 4WS, honda made one that I know of, the wheels turn both the same direction and opposite directions of each other depending on speed and corner radius. At high speeds and small radius corners all 4 wheels turn the same direction to help speed the turn. Only on low speed and small radius turns did it turn opposite directions like a rock crawler. As I remember the rear turn angles were pretty small.

John
Old 04-06-2009, 04:03 AM
HzR
Tech Rookie

It would definately be an interesting experiment! Post some pictures when you're done.

The full size cars that have been built with 4WS only used very small steering angles as mentioned before. I think it was 10 degrees opposite steering for parking at speeds under 10mph I think and only about 3 degrees same direction steering at higher speeds. I guess the car would get too unstable otherwise.
Honda had a mechanical system and an other brand an electrical version years ago. I know the new Renault Laguna that has just been introdced also has a similar system.

You would probably need some sort of mechanism or micro controller to manipulate the steering angle coming from the receiver and going to your wheels.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have heard of people using 2 M03 front ends, bolting them together in the middle and having a dual motor, 4wd 4ws mini. By all accounts they fly!
Old 04-06-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Regular

Hmmm-food for thought. I could limit the throw on the rear steering mechanically. I'm in the process of laying out the components and drilling the chassis now.(3/32 G-10) I've already got the holes for the front and rear suspension done.It looks like I need to go to the LHS and get a servo. I'll post pics when I'm done. Don
Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Theres a guy at my local track that custom built a mini t buggy with 4 wheel steering it actually handles quite well. Definately something cool to mess arround with
Old 04-06-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The bigger problem, is that if you convert or make a front wheel drive, 4 wheel steering car, you cannot race it in a TC class...
Old 04-06-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Regular

Really? What makes it illegal? In ROAR rules (5.3.1.3) FWD is classed as 4 wheel drive. As for 4 wheel steering ? Don

Last edited by DLS II; 04-06-2009 at 09:23 AM.