Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Comm Lathe - which is a good / crap one??? >

Comm Lathe - which is a good / crap one???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 02:00 PM
Tech Regular

Hi all....

I am thinking of getting a comm lathe, can someone recommend a good one? I recently saw one that has a separate attachment which is for re-serating brushes... are they any good?

I aint rich but am willing to invest.... I couldn't believe how quickly my P94 needs a cut!!!! now I have a few motors in need of attention in that department

No clue.....

p.s. I am running 2 stock and one mod at the mo.....
Old 02-05-2002, 02:05 PM
Tech Adept

Default Lathes

You can get a really good cut with just about any lathe out there. Most of the difference is in the user.

I see your in the UK, if you can get hold of an Orion or LRP lathe those are nice and pretty reasonable. If you want to spend a bit more get a Hudy.
Old 02-05-2002, 08:06 PM
Regional Moderator

Comm Lathe from Hudy's are the best.... And I'm using the automatic ones
Old 02-05-2002, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

I'm looking at getting the new Fantom lathe, it is really trick. But it is on the very expensive side!!
Old 02-05-2002, 10:18 PM
Tech Initiate

You can pretty easily get a lrp or orion lathe in europe, but the orion one is the better. It provides a better finish on the comm, plus it doesnt have ball bearings, so you have always have smooth armature spin. You can also adjust the movement of the armature(left, right) on the orion, which you can't on the lrp. I am favoring the orion, because i have one, but others say that its also better. The orion comes with a carbite tip and still cuts better than the lrp with the diamond bit.(unless you get the armature to spin straight and in the center on the lrp)

Hope i helped

matej
RC Team Vrhe
Old 02-05-2002, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

team cobra pro comm lathe - ive been using this for over 3 years with no problems. i recently replaced my carbide bit. i got it for $99 from tower. for a little more $, you can get a cobra lathe with a diamond bit, although i think beginners should first learn to cut with a carbide bit. about a brush serrating tool, im using one made by racetech. its a separate unit. i havent seen the one you described. i got it used for only $10 with motor. i think its less than $15 new but you need a drive motor. i mainly use this to break in new brushes and to reserrate old brushes for reuse on practice motors. the downside is the serrations are not as deep as the serrated brushes that you can buy.
Old 02-05-2002, 10:58 PM
Regional Moderator

i have an lrp lathe....it comes with a diamond tip, batt, slave motor, and a spare armeture!!!
and its is about the same price as the orions , but the orion is just the lathe (as far as i know!!!?).....anyway i think its a good lathe, nothing to complain about!
hope this helps!
Old 02-06-2002, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've only owned Cobra lathes so far, and I have absolutely no complaints with them. The Orion lathe looks VERY nice as well, if I were to replace my current Cobra lathe, I'd go with either the Orion or Hudy.

One thing to watch out for... If you buy a lathe that has the option of bearings or v blocks to hold the armature, choose the V-blocks. Bearings will be okay for a while, but over time, wear and any particles that find there way into the bearings will result in degradation of the cutting quality. V-blocks don't have this problem.

Trips
Old 02-06-2002, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks to everyone ... I think I will start with Orion.... as I only have time to do the odd race here and there so I wont think need anything more serious.... Also I am getting very confused about all the lathes I have seen so far need to get the cutting bit some even motor and stuff... I just want a good starting package and if I want to upgrade, I can di it later....

Now who is the local Orion stockist I wonder.....
Old 02-06-2002, 10:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

u could also try a trinity lathe. i use the the true lathe 2 but they have a newer versiopn out it is the true lathe 3 both come with a carrying case ,carbide bit, a buch of armature tubes and cutting fluid u only need a drive motor. there only about 150 bucks
Old 02-06-2002, 02:32 PM
Tech Master

I have a cobra lathe that works very well but I just noticed that the pulley on the motor wobbles when there is no belt on it. Is there a way to fix that.
Old 02-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

With any lathe....V blocks are a must.

My list of lathes....in order of preference....

Team Cobra Motor Builders lathe....excellent!
Twister Mod lathe - oldie....but cannot be beat!...good luck finding one.
...and a tie for third place......Team Cobra mod lathe and Reedy mod lathe.