Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Default Best Dyno

I'm looking at Dynos with a view to professional use.

Options seem to be... CS Motor Checker, Robitronic Pro Master, Fantom Facts.

Superficially, each offers the same functions - testing motors and printing readouts - is any one superior? or any one particularly limited? Prices definitely vary.

It seems the Fantom is the new Industry standard, since CS have discontinued the Turbo Dyno.

Thanks for any input.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:37 AM
Tech Adept

I certainly rely on my Fantom Dyno. I had a Tekin dyno for several years and got to where I could setup my motors pretty well with it. With the Fantom you can effectively see the exact effect of every change you make in motor setup. It is consistant and highly reliable. I use an 12-Volt auto battery as the power source for the dyno and as a result have never had any of the problems I have heard from folks who use a less powerful power source.

Have no experience with the robotronics but I personally think the Fantom is worth every penny of the cost and Dave Clary's software makes it a great piece of equipment.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 12-05-2003, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

If you're looking at dyno's by what the professionals use, it's an either or type of thing. Usually the oval guys swear by the Fantom, and the roadcourse guys like the others (CE, CS, or Robi).

In the real world, the good dyno's are similar to the CE turbodyno. Acceleration dyno's are typically used for quality checks and power testing above about 500 Hp.

Without getting into the big argument about why acceleration dyno's are not as good, I'll say that if the dyno makes you faster on the track it's good enough.
Old 12-05-2003, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Post CE TD45

If you can find one on EBAY or someplace similar then the Competition Electronics Turbo Dyno 45 is the way to go. We have both the Fantom and the TD45. I feel the Fantom gives a good overall performance evaluation of the motor and the TD45 basically tells you alot more about the motor, what it is doing and actually what changes you did to the motor that make it work better.

Just my opinion,

Later,
Old 12-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

A dyno is a tool, and which ever one gives you the information that allows you to get the most out of your motors is the "best" dyno. I still use a Tekin dyno, and have been accused of running my brushless in stock. I know what to look for on that dyno, what makes a difference on the track, and if I have someone dyno my motor on a Fantom it will look good too. Just remember, you don't race dyno's. You can go crazy spending hours dynoing motors to get an extra 100 rpm, 2 more watts, or another point of efficiency, but it's the on track performance that makes the difference.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well said, RC Driver gary, that's absolutely right. There are one or two of them that may not put out numbers as reproducable as others, but the main ones(like the Fantom, Robitronics, old CE Turbo Dynos, Tekins, etc.)use a consistent means of powering the system & loading the motor in test, & they all can provide good numbers to work with. It's just a matter of which one is the easiest for the individual to understand & apply the data it produces(& for me that happened to be the Robi), & by far the most important thing is how the motor runs on track, regardless of the numbers it produces on a dyno(& I have seen a few that ran MUCH better in a car than it did on my Robi). If I were shopping for one now, I think first I'd check out which one was most easily servicable(for example, if my Robi needs service, it'll be difficult because I'd have to ship it to Austria for that, no one in the US handles it anymore since Trinity switched to the Fantom, & if I knew that'd happen, I might've bought the Fantom instead), & then see if I could play around with an example of each. This is where it pays off to have buddies who have one, so you can see how they work for yourself & see how each presents its data(& as I said, for me the Robi was the easiest for me to get comfortable with).....
Old 12-06-2003, 12:34 AM
R/C Tech Founder

Someday, I will create a slick chassis dyno. Just you all wait and see
Old 12-06-2003, 09:39 PM
Tech Elite

I have a Robitronics, and it shows alot of data, but alot of it is stuff you don't need to know. Big Jim has some very good reasons for using a CE dyno, but then again I think BJ is a f***. Unless you are going to be racing 4-cell I wouldn't get the Fantom, as it does dyno motors at 4 cell voltages and motors often can look and perform quite differently with different voltages.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Track!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2003, 09:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Greg:

Hi,

your right..... lansing today????

Futureal:

Hi,

what about the Thor chassis dyno??? you can still find them around and they worked rather well.

Dynos:

I have both the CE 45 and the Fantom. I use them both at the bigger races. I had Dave C. write a 1/12th scale programm that i play around with in touring. as for raw data both wll give numbers to work with. I use the torque #'s on the C.E. 45 mostly (on stockers). I'm not tosure what one I'd give up if I had too.
Thanks
Old 12-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
..., but it's the on track performance that makes the difference.
Originally posted by Greg Anthony
The Track!!!!!!
Yep.., the best dyno is "the track".
Fantom Facts is very easy to work with
Old 12-06-2003, 10:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

wench... oops, wrench, nope, taking a week off after the 3 classes at the Champs... I need sleepie!
Old 12-07-2003, 04:23 AM
Tech Adept

Greg:

You WUSS.

I'm still going after another 80+ hr week...and a case of Red Bull
anyways see ya the track. Mini is going mod soon so watch out!!!!!! 7x1's all the way

Thanks
Old 12-07-2003, 12:24 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally posted by TimXLB
what about the Thor chassis dyno??? you can still find them around and they worked rather well.
Do you have any pics or know where I might find some? I have heard of them but never actually seen one, I'd love to check one out.
Old 12-07-2003, 12:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

no, I just needed sleep!!!!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.