Wiki Posts
Search

bearing maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)
Default bearing maintenance

What are you guys using to clean and lube your bearings?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I dry ice them or mobil 1 5w-30 motor oil. Once they feel bad I toss them lube just covers up a bad bearing for a short time .
Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Elite

Well I just got my carbon set for my car and though it was a good idea to clean and lube the bearings while I had it all apart. I don't think any of them are bad. I do happen to have some synthetic 5w30. I'll use that.

--pakk
Old 04-02-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

clean them in an ultrasonic cleaner

let them dry

soak in WD40

then a drop of bearing oil
Old 04-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

"ultrasonic cleaner"
"bearing oil"

Your going to have to be a little more specific with me. That was my question, "what cleaner and what oil?"

--pakk
Old 04-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pakk
"ultrasonic cleaner"
"bearing oil"

Your going to have to be a little more specific with me. That was my question, "what cleaner and what oil?"

--pakk
try this: http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=docs&id=5
Old 04-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Tech Initiate

I leave mine to soak in a cup of brake cleaner over night to degrease them.
Take them out and check each bearing is free by spinning them on a spike or reamer.
Then I soak them overnight in a light oil.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:38 PM
J B
Tech Rookie

Hi pakk,

For cleaner you can either use motor spray found at your local hobbie shop or brake cleaner(i prefer crc brake cleaner)

For oil you can either use bearing oil found at your local hobbie shop or a light motor oil like some of the other guys mention.

either of the cleaners will work the same.same for the oil.you will not gain 232 horse power by using one over the other.

J B
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

I wouldn't bother with that kind of process these days. With brushless torque you will find that bearings packed with grease are just as fast as light oil and one tenth the maintainence.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Clean them with dw40 then spin them and spray more dw40. Once you see all the black stuff gone. Soak then in motor oil. Then take them out and put them on a dry towel. Let them drain out all the oil. It doesn't take a lot of oil to keep a bearing safe. Then once all drained. Put back on the car.

Make sure there all drained out or it will be a mess on the car.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Tech Adept

If you want your bearings to go very, very smooth get your hand on some TCE (Trichlorethylenium) but be careful, this is very toxic and harmfull stuff. It removes all residue from the bearings and after 10 minutes soaking in this stuff, couple of drops of OneLube( mostly used in 1:1 racing and can be found in specialized car part stores). Your bearings will spin like crazy.
Z
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcpoint
Iget your hand on some TCE (Trichlorethylenium)
You're typical Trichlore IS, your typical hobby store motor spray. I haven't used it in years, but if it contains chlorine it probably isn't the best thing to use as chlorine is horrible for metals. Non-chlorninated brake cleaner would be the way to go... wont rust metals, doens't eat rubbers or plastics, and evaporates just as fast as trichlor. And, you can get it super cheap at walmart. Make sure its NON chlorinated. And of course...use in a well ventilated area, and wear safety glasses. I use it to clean my firearms, and everyonce in a while you will get a splash back, and that stuff BURNS the eyes baby.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

I don't think chlorinated compounds are used anymore in comercially available products these days. I think the spray available in hobby shops is just isopropyllic alcohol or some such.

But you don't really need all this chemical arsenal. Some good old petrol will dissolve any grease and leave no residue. If you're really finicky, you can wash the bearings in methylated alcohol and just lube them with your choice of oil. One thing I do is leave out one of the shields (preferably the one on the cage side) in bearings that face each other and run a smear of silicone sealant on shafts and holders to make sure no crap gets inside. Gearbox bearings need no shields at all (in fully enclosed gearboxes).
Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
I don't think chlorinated compounds are used anymore in comercially available products these days. I think the spray available in hobby shops is just isopropyllic alcohol or some such.
You're probably right... but just in case somebody DOES use brake cleaner... there ARE chlorinated and non-chlorinated versions. Always use the non.

Originally Posted by niznai
But you don't really need all this chemical arsenal. Some good old petrol will dissolve any grease and leave no residue.
For those of us in the states, do mean reagular old Gasoline? WD-40 is also a great cleaner/degreaser, but does leave a residue.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use some good ol' motor spray (whatever the LHS has that's the cheapest) and i soak those suckers good (overnight or so) and then i give them a healthy blast of compressed air (around 40 psi, do note that this may cause rubber seals to blow away like a mobile home in a tornado) untill they spin like there is no resistance.

Then i add a drop of trinity's royal oil to each bearing. Good stuff indeed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.