Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Team Tekin Battery Nurse - Whats your thoughts? >

Team Tekin Battery Nurse - Whats your thoughts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Team Tekin Battery Nurse - Whats your thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Team Tekin Battery Nurse - Whats your thoughts?

I have read just a small bit on this new battery product. There is not alot of information available, hope to hear from a few of you who have this product, or better yet - how about you battery guru's, is this battery technology really beneficial over the long run?

For all who reply - Thank You
Old 05-08-2007, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Some battery matchers will dis it, as it should prolong the life of your cells, others will sing its praises.

Basicaly, it doesn't do any magic, it keeps your part charged cells at a set voltage per pack, to stop the cells from self discharging. It basicaly helps the cells during the rest period to stay in good condition.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:01 PM
Team Tekin

I got mine early last week and what I've noticed from my packs is that it doesn't seem to take that one charge/run cycle to get them pack to top punch. I race more 4wd mod offroad then anything and I always noticed prior to using it that my best race packs always needed a "wake" up run. I'd charge 'em up run them for 4-5 minutes of practice, discharge and recharge. Then the next run would have more pucnh then the last run. This was especially true with my stock packs.

I would imagine that other people will see this result or something entirely different since no two people treat their packs exactly the same.

I used to pretty much doing the charge, discharge, tray(tekin), 5 minute charge, pack up.

Now I don't have to do anything more after the traying. Simply stick 'em in the Nurse and dont' worry about it. Nice thing too is that this can be left this way almost indefinately. This is great for those of who travel for days to get to a race. When you get there simply plug it in! The case is very robust and I can't imagine anyone wearing it out or breaking it. Padding is nicely cut and fits even my saddle packs with ease. There will be more info on it as the team plays with it more I'm sure.
Old 05-08-2007, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Randy, try just letting the cells cool off then slap them in the Nurse, the voltage of the cells should be higher going in, and easier stabilised, then before use, remove, discharge, tray and charge, will be even better.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have one and only one view on it:

Time to go Lipo

Seriously. I spent more this season on battery maintence things then I did on actual batteries. And the next "big" battery buy I do, I will need the new discharging devices in order to keep them in their prime (for the first month of use, at least). Remember how we used to treat GP 3300's? "Oh whoops, I havn't charged them in two months. Oh well, two cycles and they are back." Now if you wait two weeks without a full charge on them, they are pretty much toast. I guess thats why the battery nurse was made....
Old 05-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Tech Regular

It deffently looks cool. But, will trickle charging your packs for long periods of time hurt them in the long run? I don't know, but if you remember you are not suppose to trickle your packs after they have peaked. My first thought was " Is this what running NiMh has come too?" I would rather spend the same money on a Lipo and charger.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It doesn't trickle charge them. It just holds them at the voltage they already have. another great product from Tekin!!!!!!!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Regular

Sounds like a trickle charge to me.??
Old 05-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Team Tekin

Trickle charging is done constantly....at a slow pace. The Nurse simply "holds" the voltage. This may be done on one pack quite frequently then say a stronger pack. This is what's cool about it. For someone like me who runs both nitro and electric..this keeps my packs in check without fear or worry.

Cookie: I'll try that soon. I was asked to play with it and see what I thought. I figured I'd simply "add' it to my normal reg.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Budman
It doesn't trickle charge them. It just holds them at the voltage they already have. another great product from Tekin!!!!!!!
How can it hold them with out some form of charging? If let sit long enough most/some IB or EP cells will self discharge to zero volts...
Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Tech Master

Lets make this clear, there is no 'chraging' involved in this process, the system literaly holds the packs at a set voltage for storage, it don't charge or discharge it just holds a voltage.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:43 AM
Tech Regular

so you need to run it off a power supply? or 110v?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DA_cookie_monst
Lets make this clear, there is no 'chraging' involved in this process, the system literaly holds the packs at a set voltage for storage, it don't charge or discharge it just holds a voltage.

You could make it even clearer by telling us the "HOW".

The only way I know you can hold a pack at a certain voltage and prevent it from dropping below that voltage is to charge it, trickle or through occational charge pulses.
Old 05-09-2007, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

I have seen a Battery Nurse in the flesh but I have not had the opportunity to use one.

The Battery Nurse runs off mains voltage.

I couldn't comment definitively on what it actually does, I'll leave that to the Tekin engineers, but it does seem to me that it is effectively a trickle charge with an adjustable voltage.

You can't just "hold" a batteries voltage without putting something into it - we all know that these cells self-discharge if left untouched.

Personally speaking I am not keen on trickle charging race cells, the advice I have always been given is that it will make them "soft", however I couldn't say for sure whether the Battery Nurse is a conventional trickle charger or not.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Master

I don't know exactly how it works, but got told specificaly from Jim Campbell, that it doesn't 'charge' the cells in any way, it just holds the cells at a set voltage.

It runs, at home, off a mains adaptor, but it also takes a 9v (PP3 ?) battery to maintain voltage whilst going to the track.

If you get a battery and show it 1.2V, the battery will come up to 1.2V without actualy being charged.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.