R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #1351
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,747
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post


Glad you guys took the post well!

Blkdoutrvo - Excellent, looks like you are comfy with you setup!
1.) really? Just file it down? *I'm sitting here with files, so... really?*
2.) well,, I typically run for pace than hot lap and while I can't say I don't sometimes leave an impression on our boards, I'm still finding more wear than I'd like...... could easily just be me though. For those 'rare' times I do though, I'm thinking a kydex bumper plate is my next move. hate or love the idea?
3.) I have chewed through 3 steering plates, is my reason for bringing it up.

Captain Stacker - In my most humble opinion, "run what you brung". plastic or alloy, just get to the track to have a good time and learn. Enjoy the larning curve and take it one step at a time, you could easily go as cheaply as possible and build up as the need calls. Gets you to the track the most with the least effort. Eventually you'll want to upgrade and get 'this' or 'that' but just go to try and get laps in. Good luck!

Owen - nice call, it won't be the last time I flub a funny on spelling. I'm down with a good looking car, but the most frequent question for Shui drivers seem to be the looks. And really, thats fine, but it's an easy mark to make fun of

Sir - I managed to teach and make a qual at the race, put me 3rd behind Haynes and Amato. It was good enough(with a couple tweaks) that I was in second when I managed to break out my bad. Pulled some lap times on par and I thank you for returning her to me unharmed. I'll try again when I have something a little more solid.

Heading to the January Jam this weekend, we'll see......
I fit Losi LCD's up front, I don't know if there was any performance gain, but I always got good life out of them in the type-r, and now have no full lock chatter. Use the losi steering knuckle, xray t2 shims for the chubs, trim the inside of the chubs to clear. Corraly blades fit the pin, but you need to dremel the stock spool to use those.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #1352
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,155
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdog View Post
What spur gear are you guys running for 17.5 and 13.5? 64 pitch? Thanks guys
114 seems to be the hot ticket right now with the team
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #1353
Tech Master
 
The Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,451
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

qcrc, very interesting I'll try. I managed to mangle a little but the other 8 or so Mi4's at our track have been going through a decent amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
I fit Losi LCD's up front, I don't know if there was any performance gain, but I always got good life out of them in the type-r, and now have no full lock chatter. Use the losi steering knuckle, xray t2 shims for the chubs, trim the inside of the chubs to clear. Corraly blades fit the pin, but you need to dremel the stock spool to use those.
Larcher, you are a scholar and a gentleman.


Adam is gay for steamers.
__________________
Sponsors for 2013 - NoVak / Team Scream / liquidrc.com
The Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #1354
Tech Elite
 
Jerry P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,436
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
114 seems to be the hot ticket right now with the team
I'm also down with the 114 spurs with 17.5.
__________________
Jerry P
Awesomatixusa - Side Piece Racing - LRP - Sweep Racing Tires - Mike L Designs - TQ Wires - Crispy Critters Raceway

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:13 AM   #1355
Tech Master
 
Me_MrTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson
Default

Need some diff help..

After running for a few minutes my diff nut seems to be coming loose?? spinning the left wheel (which is where the grub screw is installed) running the spur on the right hand side.

Anyone else seen this before. I tighten it up but still comes un stuck.. Big race meeting this weekend and the first outing any help would be welcome


Thanks
Alex
__________________
v-dezign // black diamond

Hoot RC for Local Supplies > www.hootrc.com.au
Me_MrTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:48 AM   #1356
Tech Fanatic
 
lochness42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 824
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Have you fully tightened grub screw against diff scew? - it's there to prevent loosening.
__________________
Pavel Balint
| Schumacher racing-cars.com | RCSGraphicWorx.co.uk | Cat K1 | Cougar SV2 & SVR |
Schumacher cars build videos http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9780E62C20A0EC4F
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #1357
Tech Master
 
Me_MrTyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,801
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Me_MrTyson Send a message via Skype™ to Me_MrTyson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochness42 View Post
Have you fully tightened grub screw against diff scew? - it's there to prevent loosening.

Shall re-tighten everything on the diff, testing today so shall post if that has not fixed everything.

Thanks
Alex
__________________
v-dezign // black diamond

Hoot RC for Local Supplies > www.hootrc.com.au
Me_MrTyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #1358
Tech Fanatic
 
lochness42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: London, UK
Posts: 824
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Well that should help with that. Only occasion when my diff was loosening was my first practice with new car and I didn't know much about it. Since that I never had problems with loose diff.
__________________
Pavel Balint
| Schumacher racing-cars.com | RCSGraphicWorx.co.uk | Cat K1 | Cougar SV2 & SVR |
Schumacher cars build videos http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=9780E62C20A0EC4F
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:37 PM   #1359
Tech Master
 
Rdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Maple Valley, WA
Posts: 1,620
Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochness42 View Post
Well that should help with that. Only occasion when my diff was loosening was my first practice with new car and I didn't know much about it. Since that I never had problems with loose diff.
Ditto on that one I had the same issue at first too
Rdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #1360
Tech Elite
 
BlackedOutREVO's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 3,788
Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear View Post


Glad you guys took the post well!

Blkdoutrvo - Excellent, looks like you are comfy with you setup!
1.) really? Just file it down? *I'm sitting here with files, so... really?*
2.) well,, I typically run for pace than hot lap and while I can't say I don't sometimes leave an impression on our boards, I'm still finding more wear than I'd like...... could easily just be me though. For those 'rare' times I do though, I'm thinking a kydex bumper plate is my next move. hate or love the idea?
3.) I have chewed through 3 steering plates, is my reason for bringing it up.
Yup, I dremeled mine, but same difference

Haha yeah, I know how that is. The parma bumper makes a big difference from what I hear

And no idea how you have done that lol, ive never had any issues with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdog View Post
What spur gear are you guys running for 17.5 and 13.5? 64 pitch? Thanks guys
For 17.5 a 114 would be good. Im going to 118's for mod though Big ol spur gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson View Post
Shall re-tighten everything on the diff, testing today so shall post if that has not fixed everything.

Thanks
Alex
Did you loc tite the diff screw? I forgot to put the jam screw a few weeks ago in mod and I have my diff flipped and it never came un screwed.
__________________
R1 Wurks/Awesomatix USA/Roche USA/Protoform/Solaris/Mo Speed/Speedworld Raceway
BlackedOutREVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:27 PM   #1361
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hello,

I got an Mi4LP for christmas, and I'm starting to build it this weekend. I'm going to be running at Hangar 30 in Seattle, which is a carpet track, about 90ft x 40ft. I know SkyPilot is local, but if you're reading this and you're a local Schumacher driver, please send me a PM!

Anyway, I'm currently planning on 17.5T where I'm sure I'll be in the B main for a while, but I may run it in 21.5T for a couple events to get used to it, since I'm still a n00b.

To start with, I'm planning to run the following:
Tekin RS ESC
Tekin Redline motor
Tower TS-140 Servo (.13sec @6v, 82 oz-in, 1.6"x0.8"1.5", 1.9oz, metal gear)
JR 75mhz AM Receiver (not too heavy, but it's pretty big)
Orion 3400 LiPo (if it fits the chassis properly). Not sure how heavy it is.
Hot Bodies Tybe B impreza (61738) body (I like Subarus)
Jaco Blue pre-mounts with Paragon

I've read the Mi3 build thread (Let's Build a Schumacher Mi3!) once, and will read it again before I get started.

I've never built a high-quality kit with this much carbon before. So even the most mundane tips are much appreciated.

Also, if there are any must-have upgrades that'll help the car hold up better when I smack the boards (and I WILL smack them... I've only done maybe 20 heats so far, and none of them have been clean), I'd love to hear about them.

One specific thing I'm not sure about is how the front spool will work in 21.5T Scale Spec / RCGT class. I'm pretty sure people in the 17.5 class are running front spools, but I think at least one of the fastest scale spec guys are running ball diffs in front.

Thanks,
-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:47 AM   #1362
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Hrm. The manual doesn't say anything about gluing the chassis like the XRay manuals do. Is gluing recommended or not? If I glue it, is tire glue OK, or should I get some other kind of CA?

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #1363
Tech Master
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Hello,

I got an Mi4LP for christmas, and I'm starting to build it this weekend. I'm going to be running at Hangar 30 in Seattle, which is a carpet track, about 90ft x 40ft. I know SkyPilot is local, but if you're reading this and you're a local Schumacher driver, please send me a PM!

Anyway, I'm currently planning on 17.5T where I'm sure I'll be in the B main for a while, but I may run it in 21.5T for a couple events to get used to it, since I'm still a n00b.

To start with, I'm planning to run the following:
Tekin RS ESC
Tekin Redline motor
Tower TS-140 Servo (.13sec @6v, 82 oz-in, 1.6"x0.8"1.5", 1.9oz, metal gear)
JR 75mhz AM Receiver (not too heavy, but it's pretty big)
Orion 3400 LiPo (if it fits the chassis properly). Not sure how heavy it is.
Hot Bodies Tybe B impreza (61738) body (I like Subarus)
Jaco Blue pre-mounts with Paragon

I've read the Mi3 build thread (Let's Build a Schumacher Mi3!) once, and will read it again before I get started.

I've never built a high-quality kit with this much carbon before. So even the most mundane tips are much appreciated.

Also, if there are any must-have upgrades that'll help the car hold up better when I smack the boards (and I WILL smack them... I've only done maybe 20 heats so far, and none of them have been clean), I'd love to hear about them.

One specific thing I'm not sure about is how the front spool will work in 21.5T Scale Spec / RCGT class. I'm pretty sure people in the 17.5 class are running front spools, but I think at least one of the fastest scale spec guys are running ball diffs in front.

Thanks,
-Mike
Mike, (nice name by the way )

I'm out of southern Oregon, and I am running th MI4 all over. Haven't touched Washington yet for touring car, but I plan to some time in the near future.

Anyway, the things you may need to look into for the Mi4 for basic upgrades are the Parma bumper (out of stock most places as far as I know). That should help with bending cvds, which is a weak point on the MI3 MI4. Build the car as per instructions, that's a big deal to make a good ride. Instructions are pretty good.

On the chassis, I sanded some of the edges with 600 grit sand paper, then I used a paint pen to give them a finished black look. Some I did not even bother to sand, just painted pen'd.

Front diff made my dads under powered Mi3.5 feel way twitchy. But if you do decide to purchase a diff, wait for a bit. There is a after market pulley coming out with more balls. Make for a smoother diff.

Also, I have heard that the Subaru is not aggressive enough to make fast laps. But are you running RCGT like you mentioned? If so, you can't run the hot bodies Subaru anyway. If you are running TC, pick up a Mazda speed for safe keeping.

-Mike Owen
__________________
powered by anti-anxieties, sarcasm and chipotle
Owen RaCing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #1364
Tech Champion
 
abailey21's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,155
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen RaCing View Post
Also, I have heard that the Subaru is not aggressive enough to make fast laps. But are you running RCGT like you mentioned? If so, you can't run the hot bodies Subaru anyway. If you are running TC, pick up a Mazda speed for safe keeping.
What do you know of the Skyline bodies??

Specifically http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/17538/

http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7467/

and http://www.hpiracing.com/products/en/7427/
__________________
K.C.C.O.
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #1365
Tech Master
 
Owen RaCing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mountain Valley
Posts: 1,940
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by abailey21 View Post
The new style skyline is sick. Some body needs to come out with a 510 for RCGT. Now that would be pretty awesome.

Everybody need's to stick to Touring anyway.
__________________
powered by anti-anxieties, sarcasm and chipotle
Owen RaCing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot Bodies Cyclone Frank McKinney Electric On-Road 19761 10-14-2016 04:50 AM
Schumacher Corner meche Electric On-Road 27727 07-20-2015 08:38 PM
2009 SEQ Onroad Interclub LOSI123 Australian Racing 348 01-06-2010 11:08 AM
Racecraft TC Challange 2 Kylelim Singapore R/C Racers 82 08-01-2009 01:07 AM
Schumacher Mi3/3.5 parts and roller!!! Eastcoast13.5 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 21 07-19-2009 02:15 PM
Opinions on TC's hippie Electric On-Road 58 07-08-2009 11:14 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:44 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0