R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 AM   #3811
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I use Futaba 4pl wheel. For TC and nitro 200mm. You can use it on all types of cars.

facebook.com/rogergrafix
roger999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 AM   #3812
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger999 View Post
I use Futaba 4pl wheel. For TC and nitro 200mm. You can use it on all types of cars.
Is the Futaba receiver quite big with this? Doing some research i have read that some people running TC say Futaba's receivers are large compared to say KO receivers??
TheHoofmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 AM   #3813
Tech Adept

Problem with futaba is yes most of their receivers are big and quite heavy compared to others. Other major problem is you talk about running multiple cars and receivers and at 70+ a go things will get expensive very soon.

Stick to a major brand like Spektrum, Ko Propo, Futaba, Sanwa, etc.

Spektrum are good value for money. Used to have a DX3S which had everything you need and good feel. You can pick up the orange specktrum copy receivers from hobbyking for 5-7 as well which work fine.

Personally i use a Ko Propo Helios ex10 with specktrum module and receivers. Nice big transmitter for big hands and you can angle the wheel with the drop angle wheel attachment which means your wrist isn't at silly angles. Ko propo are expensive but if you buy a decent model you've got a transmitter for the next 10 years.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:11 AM   #3814
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFAndy View Post
Problem with futaba is yes most of their receivers are big and quite heavy compared to others. Other major problem is you talk about running multiple cars and receivers and at 70+ a go things will get expensive very soon.

Stick to a major brand like Spektrum, Ko Propo, Futaba, Sanwa, etc.

Spektrum are good value for money. Used to have a DX3S which had everything you need and good feel. You can pick up the orange specktrum copy receivers from hobbyking for 5-7 as well which work fine.

Personally i use a Ko Propo Helios ex10 with specktrum module and receivers. Nice big transmitter for big hands and you can angle the wheel with the drop angle wheel attachment which means your wrist isn't at silly angles. Ko propo are expensive but if you buy a decent model you've got a transmitter for the next 10 years.
Have looked at the brands you mentioned and from what I have seen, Spectrum dont seem quite as well built as the rest, although they are cheaper so....

Think i'll look at the KO Propo range with Futaba / Sanwa a close second and see what deals I can find.

Appreciate your time and advice, many thanks.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:34 AM   #3815
Tech Fanatic

I have had and Sanwa radio and cannot notice big diffetence in size of receivers, they are quite same with Futaba. Big difference is in price. Sanwa is very dear conpare to Futaba. Just my 2 cents. Anyway all new speedos are smaller than older one so if the receiver will be a bit bigger still will be plenty of space for speedo and servo.

facebook.com/rogergrafix
Old 02-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #3816
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoofmeister View Post
Have looked at the brands you mentioned and from what I have seen, Spectrum dont seem quite as well built as the rest, although they are cheaper so....
Nothing wrong with the quality of spektrum and they are on equal terms with the others. Only problem the ever had was the scroll wheel was on a weak roller pin that would snap if you pressed it too hard. Think that has been fixed now but you could always buy alloy one anyway.
YZFAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #3817
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger999 View Post
No new car on this event?
IF there will be new car present somewhere soon, then it will be in hands of top drivers at international race such as ETS.
lochness42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #3818
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maizer View Post
Hi I have just got back into on road. I have been racing off road for 26 years and have not tuned a on road car for a long time and when I did it was a 12th scale. I have run my Schumacher TC 2 times in practice. I need to know how to fight traction rolling. Any help would be great.
if you are using normal tires others are using:

maybe reduce the rear uptravel/droop-reduce the weight shifting to the frnt which can cause it to flip in the corners when the frnt tires bite hard

(CA gluing the frnt sidewall helps to get by the day if you are desperate)

Last edited by poochy; 02-26-2013 at 12:53 PM.
poochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #3819
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lochness42 View Post
IF there will be new car present somewhere soon, then it will be in hands of top drivers at international race such as ETS.
Yep, probably we need to wait until first of March

facebook.com/rogergrafix
Old 02-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #3820
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPrz View Post
Long time since I've posted since I haven't really been able to test the car out for a month and a half, but I was having oversteer issues, so totally rebuilt the car to manual specs except for a few changes here and there (post 3764). Much much better, and feel pretty confident that there isn't something majorly out of whack, but I'm still getting too much oversteer. So I moved from blue springs in back back to white. Also experimented with anti-roll bars and finally settled on 1.2mm in front and 1.4mm in back. I'm going to have to experiment some more. In theory, I should go stiff in front, but then I lost steering and still every once in a while the tail would whip around. It was strange. Was hoping it would be totally dialed and it certainly wasn't, but I didn't have enough time before racing began to experiment enough. Hope to get back in a couple of weeks.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions you made.
DO NOT RUN WHITE SPRINGS! What is happening is the car rolls to the side until the chassis hits the ground causing the rear to loose traction and 'whip around'. Run lighter rear swaybar and heaver swaybar in front. How much droop are you running? Probably should run less in rear or even less all around. Run 1 to 2 springs heavier in front. 1 spring should NOT make a car that oversteers start pushing ever.

TRUST ME ON THIS.
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #3821
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Radios:

KO = Teeny tiny receivers, but I've seen people have receivers die or lose bind more than I'd expect. Also expensive.

Futaba = 4pk is kinda heavy. Expensive receivers.

Sanwa = M11x is a great deal right now, because they're trying to clear stock. RX-451R is the super fast receiver, and I've also seen it discounted a lot.
M12 is $$$, but very responsive. I recently got one, and am liking it so far, but have yet to run it on my home track for a proper evaluation. Receivers are decently small, and Sanwa is reasonably priced if you order from Hong Kong. Also, you can pair the M11x or M12 with the Sanwa SRG-BL or SRG-BLS for stupidly low latency.

Spektrum = DX3R is decent. Very light, good for small hands. The SR3100 and SR3520 receivers are really expensive, but they're quite small (only KO is smaller I think). You don't want a lower-end (non DSM2) radio or receiver, as they're more prone to dropouts. I've never had a drop out with the SR3100 or SR3520, though. I'm not sure about their new radio with new protocol, haven't heard anything about it.

Radio Post = I've heard the servos are pretty good, but the couple local team drivers for them dropped them like a bad habit due to drop-out problems. Steer clear.

If you run the front belt toward the battery side, then with the Spektrum SR3100, you can mount it crosswise, and push it inward toward the belt, which lets you move it forward a bit. That will give you maximum ESC room.

With Spektrum SR3520 and Sanwa RX-471 (M12 recvr), you can put them in lengthwise inboard of aft servo mount. Leave like 3mm to the belt, and make sure your servo saver / horn won't hit it or the wires at full lock. Doing it that way gives you pretty ample room for the ESC and a larger spur/pinion.

With the tiny KO receivers, you can probably do whatever you want and still park a BMW 7-Series on the electronics side.

I've never used Futaba or KO stuff personally.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #3822
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoofmeister View Post
Can anyone help with this?

Interested in knowing what people are using for TC and their thoughts/recommendations.
M12
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #3823
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer X View Post
DO NOT RUN WHITE SPRINGS! What is happening is the car rolls to the side until the chassis hits the ground causing the rear to loose traction and 'whip around'. Run lighter rear swaybar and heaver swaybar in front. How much droop are you running? Probably should run less in rear or even less all around. Run 1 to 2 springs heavier in front. 1 spring should NOT make a car that oversteers start pushing ever.

TRUST ME ON THIS.
Thank you! What you're saying makes perfect sense and would definitely explain what's happening. OK, so I'll go back to blue in back and up one spring rate in front. I'll also spend some more time playing with the swaybars. I'm running 2mm of droop off a 10mm block.
JohnPrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #3824
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Radios:

KO = Teeny tiny receivers, but I've seen people have receivers die or lose bind more than I'd expect. Also expensive.

Futaba = 4pk is kinda heavy. Expensive receivers.

Sanwa = M11x is a great deal right now, because they're trying to clear stock. RX-451R is the super fast receiver, and I've also seen it discounted a lot.
M12 is $$$, but very responsive. I recently got one, and am liking it so far, but have yet to run it on my home track for a proper evaluation. Receivers are decently small, and Sanwa is reasonably priced if you order from Hong Kong. Also, you can pair the M11x or M12 with the Sanwa SRG-BL or SRG-BLS for stupidly low latency.

Spektrum = DX3R is decent. Very light, good for small hands. The SR3100 and SR3520 receivers are really expensive, but they're quite small (only KO is smaller I think). You don't want a lower-end (non DSM2) radio or receiver, as they're more prone to dropouts. I've never had a drop out with the SR3100 or SR3520, though. I'm not sure about their new radio with new protocol, haven't heard anything about it.

Radio Post = I've heard the servos are pretty good, but the couple local team drivers for them dropped them like a bad habit due to drop-out problems. Steer clear.

If you run the front belt toward the battery side, then with the Spektrum SR3100, you can mount it crosswise, and push it inward toward the belt, which lets you move it forward a bit. That will give you maximum ESC room.

With Spektrum SR3520 and Sanwa RX-471 (M12 recvr), you can put them in lengthwise inboard of aft servo mount. Leave like 3mm to the belt, and make sure your servo saver / horn won't hit it or the wires at full lock. Doing it that way gives you pretty ample room for the ESC and a larger spur/pinion.

With the tiny KO receivers, you can probably do whatever you want and still park a BMW 7-Series on the electronics side.

I've never used Futaba or KO stuff personally.

-Mike
Can't ask for more than that!

Many thanks Mike
Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 AM   #3825
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by maizer View Post
M12
Thanks Maizer.

M12 looks nice, many things I like about the layout