Wiki Posts
Search

Help Removing Novak Velociti Motor Heatsink

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default Help Removing Novak Velociti Motor Heatsink

Recently, I purchased a used Novak Velociti 4.5R which seemed to be a good deal since it included an already installed Novak Heatsink. However, this is turning more into a nightmare as I cannot remove the heatsink. I have already removed the endbell, but the heatsink is extremely tight on the other half of the motor. The person I bought it from told to dremel it off, but I was wondering if there was another way. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrxnfx
Recently, I purchased a used Novak Velociti 4.5R which seemed to be a good deal since it included an already installed Novak Heatsink. However, this is turning more into a nightmare as I cannot remove the heatsink. I have already removed the endbell, but the heatsink is extremely tight on the other half of the motor. The person I bought it from told to dremel it off, but I was wondering if there was another way. Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do? Any suggestions would be appreciated!
you can either take the rotor out of the motor and use a heat gun to heat it up, if not as a last resort use a cutting disk on a dremmel and make a small cut then slide it out.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
you can either take the rotor out of the motor and use a heat gun to heat it up, if not as a last resort use a cutting disk on a dremmel and make a small cut then slide it out.
Thanks for the advice! I did contemplate heating up the heatsink to try to remove it, but I wasn't sure if it would work. I was trying to avoid cutting it off to avoid damaging the motor can. I guess there really isn't too many options!
Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Heating it should work. I have a Novak motor that still has the purple ring on it, when cold it will not turn, but after it heats up from running, it spins freely. The heatsink should be similar.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (99%+)

Yep use a heat gun after taking the rotor out, I've done this many times. Some fall off some need some help just be carefull not to burn your fingers, that alu ring gets hot.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Use a heat gun. Wear gloves. Be careful not to melt the plastic parts of the motor. Be careful when you put the heatsink the next motor. It might be a good idea to dremel a little on it (just removing the internal anodizing should be enough). Worst case - send it to Novak. I had to do that after one was so stuck that even with heat I couldn't get it off.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

You know, depending on which heatsink it is, the Novak 1/8th scale conversion heatsink has 2 screws that hold the heatsink tight to the motor. If the heatsink has a flat bottom with 4 screw holes on the corners, check to see if there are 2 holes just below the top of the fins on the flat side of the heatsink, if it does have these holes, take a 2mm allen and see if there are screws in those holes. That may just let the heatsink slide off without troubles.

I may also just need a screw driver slipped between the fins to release it.

I would like to see a pic of that heatsink/motor combo before setting any heat to it, you may not have to!!

Just 2cents worth
Old 04-01-2009, 01:05 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the replies!!! That's why this forum is one of the best for r/c!!! After heating up the heatsink with a heatgun, it only moved a little. As a result, I ended up scoring it with a dremel first and then filing the rest to carefully cut through the rest without damaging the motor.