Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 01:50 AM
JGH
Tech Adept

Default "Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Hello everyone,

After some positive feedback from the racers on the TRF416/416WE topic I will start my own Thread which all of you can use for questions about the 416(WE) and SpeedPassion motors.

I will do my best to keep up on this thread and try to help out you guys as good as I can.

Best regards,
Jilles Groskamp
Old 03-31-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Congrats on your recent form Jilles, very impressive.

Do you guys play rock paper scissors to see who wins?

Cheers from Down Under

Bradd Vercoe
Old 03-31-2009, 02:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hi Jilles,

Congrats on your recent top form and winning the 3rd round of ETS.

It would be great if you could posts up your setups.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:48 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

hi, Jilles. thanks for creating the thread bud. Would you suggest a thicker top deck on the WE for foam asphalt racing, to lessen the flex.
and also how can i reduce the chatter from the spool when i have the steering on full lock? (will this affect the handeling or should i not worry too much)? thanks for any help cheers from South Africa
Old 03-31-2009, 03:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by sagejyoung
hi, Jilles. thanks for creating the thread bud. Would you suggest a thicker top deck on the WE for foam asphalt racing, to lessen the flex.
and also how can i reduce the chatter from the spool when i have the steering on full lock? (will this affect the handeling or should i not worry too much)? thanks for any help cheers from South Africa
For foam asphalt, i would suggest running a 1way, no need for a spool on foam, it will just bind up the car mid corner.

Run front and rear gas car foams, but to 26mm wide, start with 37 shore, if track is grippy go to 40 shore.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 AM
Tech Adept

ok cool, i will be sure to fit the one way.... any advice on the chassis flex?
Old 03-31-2009, 03:36 AM
Tech Regular

Default Pictures

Fancy posting some pixs of your 416, minus the body? ... as they say pictures paint a 1,000 words

Thanks
Old 03-31-2009, 04:37 AM
Tech Elite

Default Foam carpet set up

Jilles, can you post set up for foam on carpet? If you don't have it can you advice me what I should do to the car for it to handle good for foam carpet race? At least i ll have an idea and a point to start with.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Jilles pronounced yeelees right? lol any how just picked up a 416 we and havent tried it yet ,gonna keep an eye on this thread
Old 03-31-2009, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Jilles

I'm switching to the 416WE very soon, and after some advice;

What is your 'usual' methods of additiving and warming your tires - both indoor and out. And what are your current recommended additives again for both indoor and out?

Many thanks
Oli
UK
Old 03-31-2009, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother
Hi Jilles

I'm switching to the 416WE very soon, and after some advice;

What is your 'usual' methods of additiving and warming your tires - both indoor and out. And what are your current recommended additives again for both indoor and out?

Many thanks
Oli
UK
Fancy a change then Oli?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:32 AM
AWK
Tech Master

Jilles,

Thanks for creating this thread! My questions would be when you guys get to a track, do you have a usual method which you try to setup your car with? I.e. are there some adjustments you try before other adjustments? Do you have a base setup? What kind of "feel" do you look for in your car?

I would also say any pictures of your car would be great to see.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CarKing
Jilles,

Thanks for creating this thread! My questions would be when you guys get to a track, do you have a usual method which you try to setup your car with? I.e. are there some adjustments you try before other adjustments? Do you have a base setup? What kind of "feel" do you look for in your car?

I would also say any pictures of your car would be great to see.
As mentioned by Carking, I wish to know the same things. Just for a novice guy
Old 03-31-2009, 01:49 PM
JGH
Tech Adept

Hello Bradd,
I wish we could do this sometimes but Marc won't do it.

Jonest,
The set-up of the LRP race is very similair to the ETS set-up of Poland. We normally play with shockoil between 400-500 and anti-dive or normal flat in front.

Sagejyoung,
I actually ran my car ones outdoor with foams and it feels less grip then with rubber tyre so I suggest the same topdeck to use for foam outdoor. For indoor foam carpet you might have to use a thicker topdeck but Tamiya has no other option then 2mm. The chatter which you get running a spool is normal, when you drive you will not notice it anymore.

ANdyUK99,
I will post some pics later of my car, no problem.

Dameetz,
I will make a set-up sheet for basic foam on carpet and post it tomorrow.

Michrcarver,
That's correct!

Oli,
Well for indoors we never use tyrewarmers, CS yellow or LRP carpet 2 is most used at indoor races.
For outdoors I recommend Tyre Tweak for most type of tyres and tracks, this with tyre warmer for about 20min on 60 degree.

Carking,
The whole winter we had a decent basic set-up which works at all track pretty oke. So when you come to a race we don't worry about any set-up changes till the track has the same bite as it will be for the race. Normally we only play with shockoil, indoor this is between 400-500. If the car traction rolls we make it wider on the hex. 1mm wider.
It sounds easy but actually with this car it is easy to have the right pace all the time.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default JGH

Did you notice a difference going from the 416 to the 416WE? Do you switch back and forth between the 2 or is there an advantage of one over the other on certain tracks?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.