Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scribbler
Help!!!

I'm having problems with the diff in my 416WE. I can freely adjust the camber on the left rear side of the car, but the right rear, if I adjust the camber past -.5 degrees the drive shaft binds against the nut on the diff. To add to the inconvience it put too much pressure of the plastic blade, and I constantly have to change it(Blade breaKs or get distorted).

I got the car second hand, and I'm not sure if the previouse owner changed parts to suit his "setup" or what. Is there anything obviouse that I'm missing, and can you give me the part numbers that you use for the Diff spring, Aluminum diff joints, and any other parts neccessary to rebuild the diff to a usable state.

With the way i've got the car setup I need between -1 to -1.5 degrees of camber for it to work properly. In short if I can't fix this, my car is going to continue to be a handful to drive. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance for your time. Hope to hear from you at your earliest convience.
When I ran the 416 with that setup I just removed some of the material on the diff nut with a round file, as long as you stay on center of the bolt hole and don't take a lot off the nut so the ears are weakened you should be good. If you run any narrower than what you have you'll have to go to the shorter axles.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hey Jilles,

Congrats on the newborn.... See ya at TITC 2011.... if got time, maybe dropping by at Futaba Cup...
Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

jilles: the MTCC race was great. had a good turnout (see the results in the Manila forums here in rctech) which what made it a great event for us. It was a bit tiring personally since i basically organized and ran the race but there were guys who were there always willing to lend a helping hand during the race like Ralph, Ronchie, Greg and the other guys. Its always hard to race and race direct at the same time but it was all worth it seeing the guys enjoy the race and we got great support from the local hobby shops in terms of prizes. Maybe next time you can join just for the fun of it. As for TITC, I am still not 100% on that. But I really wanna go. Just have to work out my schedules here as it's difficult to leave work just like that.... but we'll see! Good to hear all is good with you new family! Yes, all the lack of sleep is always worth it!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Jilles,
Congrats! Hope the family is all doing well.

Thanks again for all the advice over the years, was great to meet you earlier in the year at the TC Euros. Hopefully the little one doesn't keep you away from the track too much longer!

Good luck in 2011, hopefully I'll meet you again trackside somewhere!

Oli
Old 12-08-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Hi

I was wondering what combination of drive shafts u normally run for front n rear? Thanks see u at TITC
Old 12-08-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Jilles,

Congrats with your son, wish you all the best.
It become buzzi times with the newborne.

Good Luck.

Ed Ijzerman

Last edited by eded1; 12-08-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Jilles,

Congrats with your baby.

I've some questions:

1. Is it suggested to drill a hole in shock top cap and put blue O ring for a little rebound setting in indoor rubber carpet?

2. I'm using Sorex tire and Hara V2 insert for outdoor racing. The shcok is 0 rebound, 3 holes piston, TRF blue O ring insert, a hole drilled in the top cap. But I find that there is too rolling in the corner, even if the oil is 700......

My suspension blocks are C/C amd XA/E with 0.5 or 1mm spacer.

Is the 0 rebound setting is not suitable to Sorex? Would you please give some ideas?

3. About the damper, A car's damper is 3 holes with 60wt oil, B car's is 2 holes with 45wt oil. If A and B have the similar rolling status in the corner. What's the performance difference between these two different dampers?

Thanks and Best Rgds
Srw_g

Last edited by srw_g; 12-27-2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

hi there... is the option lipo chassis for the 416x the same lower deck used in the 417?
Old 12-12-2010, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Jilles, congratulations on your child, do not know if this is your first child, now you need a good setup for fast changing baby diapers, it's time that to let us help you.

Greetings, Luis C.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:41 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by VooDooPH
hi there... is the option lipo chassis for the 416x the same lower deck used in the 417?
Nope, they aren't the same... especially the bulkheads & motor mount mounting area. 417 is 2mm narrower than the 416 Lipo chassis.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by srw_g
Hi Jilles,

Congrats with your baby.

I've some questions:

1. Is it suggested to drill a hole in shock top cap and put blue O ring for a little rebound setting in indoor rubber carpet?

2. I'm using Sorex tire and Hara V2 insert for outdoor racing. The shcok is 0 rebound, 3 holes piston, TRF blue O ring insert, a hole drilled in the top cap. But I find that there is too rolling in the corner, even if the oil is 700......

My suspension blocks are C/C amd XA/E with 0.5 or 1mm spacer.

Is the 0 rebound setting is not suitable to Sorex? Would you please give some ideas?

Thanks and Best Rgds
Srw_g

Hi there,

I have too found that drilling the hole in the shock cap makes the car really mellow and rolls allot with Sorex tires.
For me I have found this setup to be the fastest with sorex tires:

Red foam on top of bladder cut too 3mm, no hole inn cap, 550wt oil, 3 hole pistons. Make sure you build the shock with as little rebound as possible.
The red foam is to support the bladder so that it wont collapse during heavy cornering. I have found this gives more steering and more corner speed.

For carpet, take the foam thing out, this gives more initial traction and is better suited for carpet racing.

Cheers,
Eirik
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Eirik
Hi there,

I have too found that drilling the hole in the shock cap makes the car really mellow and rolls allot with Sorex tires.
For me I have found this setup to be the fastest with sorex tires:

Red foam on top of bladder cut too 3mm, no hole inn cap, 550wt oil, 3 hole pistons. Make sure you build the shock with as little rebound as possible.
The red foam is to support the bladder so that it wont collapse during heavy cornering. I have found this gives more steering and more corner speed.

For carpet, take the foam thing out, this gives more initial traction and is better suited for carpet racing.

Cheers,
Eirik
why not use an o-ring instead?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Where do you get the red foam to use on the shock bladder below the cap?
Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jonest
why not use an o-ring instead?
When I cut the foam to 3mm it is the perfect thickness, the bladder will just slightly move. The O-ring is only 2mm, so the bladder will move more.

Originally Posted by Tron
Where do you get the red foam to use on the shock bladder below the cap?
It comes with the kit
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 AM
Tech Initiate

hi jilles

how are you?

can you tell me please if you do not mind, in set-up the point that you use Appeldorn, can say that space used on the front and rear ?

thank you very mich
regards, ciro

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.