"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 AM
Tech Regular

My set-up will be posted soon as at this moment I don't have scanner.

Jilles[/QUOTE]

Hi Jilles,

first of all many thanks for your effort to share the information with us and answered to all our questions.

If you want to use the attached TRF 416 editable set-up you won't need a scanner near you anymore

Thanks,
Marco (lynx75)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 07-14-2010, 02:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Jilles, What O ring is it that you used in the Spec R gear diff?
Old 07-14-2010, 02:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks jilles

one other question regarding rear toe, have u ever tested running less toe-in like going from 3.0deg to maybe 2.5 or even 2.0 or is using the standard 1XA and 1E the best combination?

thanks
Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JGH
My set-up will be posted soon as at this moment I don't have scanner.

Jilles
Hi Jilles,

Did you run the diff's high or low?
I normally run them high as this gives me the fastest laptimes.
What is your feeling about diff height?

Thanks mate!
Eirik
Old 07-14-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hi Jilles

I understand that your bearings are sponsored by ABEC35. I am confused by the wide variety of bearing types available. May I know which type of bearing do you request for? How do you think they fair in terms of performance?

Ronaldo
Old 07-14-2010, 05:30 AM
Tech Addict

If you look at pictures of JGH's car the bearings have orange seals, so that means the bearing is the X series oiled ceramic hybrid.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey Jilles well done at the worlds! It all started with the interference, if it were not for that you would have been pole and had a clear track to show your true speed that all could see from qualifying... You had them worried

Not sure if it's too big a secret!! but could you tell us what tyre additive you prefurred and how you were preping the tyres before the runs..

I personally think tyre prep is 75% of the battle...

Ps will you ever make an appearance over here in the UK?? Maybe one of our nationals like Hara did last month? It would be great to see you perform on one of our outdoor tracks...

All the best

Paul Pinkney
Old 07-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Jilles, what CST oil did you run in your gear diff. ?
Thanks.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JGH
- CraigM
We used pretty much standard geardiff, only thing was new o-ring to avoid leaking, I guess spec-r will change this already.
1mm under motormount is to get little more chassis roll and then to avoid touching the motor from the ground. With the new more narrow chassis you can run little more chassis roll to get more traction especially on a low traction surface/tyres like WC.
Hi Jilles, thanks for your reply - it certainly creates a buzz on here whenever you share your knowledge with us.

I have one more quick question, I noticed the team running the front shocks on the second most inside hole on the shock tower. What effect does that have on the handling of the car?

Thanks as always
Craig
Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hi Jilles!!!
I have some questions for you
What kind of motor and esc do you use recently?
Are they modified?
What is your favourite body for small circuites?
Do you know if tamiya will release a new modell or just an 416X WE (Will it have gear diff?)

Best regards

Lorenzo
Old 07-16-2010, 03:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Hi Jilles, it a great asset to have someone with your skills/ knowledge willing to share it

With you guys using the the new li-po chassis and spec-r gear diff + raising the engine do you think Tamiya will be out a new version of the car eg: TRF 417 next year?
Old 07-18-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reply Jilles, one more question:

I know that it depends on the tire and the environment a lot, but what is your general tire prep for rubber tire, asphalt track that has no traction? Which additives do you use to clean the tires and for grip?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

hi jilles,

When did you using a harder spring and softer spring?

harder spring for high grip & humidity, technical layout
softer spring for low grip & humidity, smooth layout

Right..?

And

what body you suggest on indoor asphalt track (high traction)??
Speed6 or LTC-R..??

Thanks!!!!!~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 07-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Hi Jilles
Thanks for your always kindly answers!!!
My question is:
1. How many rebound were you used when you race on carpet?
2. Except shock/spring setup get some different, are there any other different between asphalt and carpet? I mean rubber tire.
3. Can you post your basic carpet setup sheet for me? Because I have less experience on carpet...
4. How do you think about TA05 ver.2? Do you have comments or suggestions for this car? How it compare with 416? I mean drive feeling...similar or not close?
5. I hear about you are very love TB EVO5, is that true? Can you share some setup for me? I am also loved the car so much and TB03 also...

Thanks!!!

Jon
Old 07-19-2010, 08:07 AM
JGH
Tech Adept

- Marco
Thanks! As i'm not a computer freak I haven't got adobe on my laptop here so I will try to open the file tomorrow at my home computer.

- Jonny123
Spec-R had a clear colored renewed o-ring for all of the TRF drivers just before the worlds as the standard black o-ring had a little leakage.
Not sure you will get the new o-ring already with the diff.

-AZ416
In most situation I always like to run 1XA and 1E. I think with the LIPO crazy horsepower you need at least 3.0 degree to get the rear a little stable.
For stock class I recommend to try 1X and 1E or 1X 1D.

-Eirik
At the worlds we ran low diff. At the euros last year I ran my rear diff high as it gave more rotation, so more steering. I think the diff high only works when the traction is good.

-Ronaldo
Yes, I use ABEC35 bearings for my 416. You can get them in a set for the 416. I think quality is really good. Tamiya bearings are also very good, I only like the ABEC35 middleshaft bearing better then the Tamiya one.

-Paul
At the worlds the additve was for sure a big part of the performance and result. I really don't know what we used as this came all from Japan and had all kind of japanese signs on the bottle. Normally for outdoors the Rheinard Additive works really well. Also regular tire tweak works in most conditions.
Elliott also wants me to join some race ones in the UK. I have a pretty tight schedule and most of the time I stay in Bangkok as well.

-jag88
At the worlds I used 1000W

-Craig
Shock more inside gives little more turn into corner, little more aggressive.

-Lorenzo
At this moment I use Orion Vortex Motor, most of the time 4.5T
I use a Tamiya Volac/LRP speedcontroller.
For a small track I recommend the LTC-R Protoform body.
Not sure what and when Tamiya will release something new.

-Taman
If I'm not wrong I think the new Lipo chassis is already available. I'm sure Tamiya will also come out with a geardiff, when I don't know but for sure it will be good!

-Musti
For cleaning the tyres I normally use motorcleaner, for prep the tyres Rheinard or Tire Tweak works really well in most conditions.

-Teamsanwa
Good suggestion about the springs.
Highspeed/traction I like the regular Speed 6
Technical track I like the LTC-R

-Jon
For carpet I use 20% rebound
For carpet I always use Tamiya spring, outdoors I like Hot Bodies springs
I think somewhere on this thread you can find a good basic set-up for carpet, otherwise the LRP masters set-ups will be really good starting set-ups.
I never drove the TA05 before
I always like a shaft car, but I'm sure a belt car is the better/faster one.

Oke, next two weeks I will be in Housten for the Worlds 200mm, will try to keep this thread up and going, need to take flight now back to The Netherlands from Bangkok.
Later.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.