R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #76
Tech Master

Thank you for posting your setups and explaining it!
Yes, RC is fun. There are times when I feel burned out, but I just can't let go of it.
Good luck on your races!
redbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 PM   #77
Tech Apprentice

Hey Jilles,
Do you usually use the lightweight Mazda Speed 6? and also how far back do you mount the wing? I have mine mounted about 2.5mm farther back than the farthest indent on the wing, for a little more mid corner steering on the sweepers should I move it a little farther forward? or what would you recommend. I'm using a setup similar to your basic asphalt setup.
Tremor24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:15 AM   #78
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello Jilles,

How does the anti dive affect the car's handling? When do you decide to use this setting?
Did you try LTC-R body?

Best regards,
Hugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:35 AM   #79
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JGH View Post

Thanks! I have been very happy with the TRF team which gave me very nice results so far. 0 Rebound gives more traction, indoor rubber carpet I use a little rebound just by experience, I never use full rebound as it feels not so grippy, and I don't run much on bumpy tracks.
Actually a harder spring gives more traction but there must be enough traction to use it. Nowadays with the over powered cars we use quiet soft spring ( 13-18pound) to get the car easier to drive. With harder spring you also heat up the tyres more fast. I can't really give you an answer about the shock oil/spring question.
Just out experience I always use 6mm downstop in front and 5 in the rear. For example when I test outdoor and I go to 5.5mm downstop in the rear, the rear gets lose in the middle of the corner, go to 4.5mm it gets too stable.
In front sometimes we play indoors on carpet with 6.5mm downstop, almost no uptravel for little more easy drive, not so much steering. Rollcenters I always use just from experience 0.5mm in the rear and flat or 0.5mm anti-dive in front.
Thank you for your compliment, i love my hobby that's why i'm so motivated to go fast and never give up.
Thank you for the invaluable replies Jilles.. appreciate it.
CLK@racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:04 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Jilles on your foam carpet set up, you set 1mm uptravel for front and 1.5mm for rear, do you mean set the downstop 1mm and 1.5mm on the downstop block?
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 07:32 AM   #81
Tech Rookie
Default hi ,jilles

please post set up TITC 2009

thank you from thailand :-)
mamaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:09 AM   #82
Tech Adept
Default Rebound?

Hi Jilles, I'm little confused about the rebound you mentioned above always used 0 rebound. Is that only for either Mod or Stock on any kinds of asphalt traction condition? Since I'm running Stock 13.5. Thanks!
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:01 PM   #83
Tech Regular

Hello Jilles,
many thanks for share with us your tips and consideration, wonderful.

Just a confirmation please :

1) Is downstop underarm and rebound stroke the same thing ?Does means how arm is raise below the knig pin, doesn't it?

maybe see you in Italy.

Thank you in advance,
lynx75 (Marco)
lynx75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:53 AM   #84
Tech Adept

Yes, I alwasys use light weight speed 6. I always mount my wing as far as the regulation says, 10mm behind the rear bumper.

When you need more turn-in steering I always use anti-dive, makes the car more aggresive.
I have tried the LTR body and it gives more steering but is more loss in high speed sweaper compared to normal speed 6.

With foam racing I never check downstop under the arm as with the variation of tyres diameter and ride-height you can't really tell what number downstop you need to use.
When the car has 4mm ride height, I push the chassis in front 1mm up till the wheels get of the ground, rear is 1.5 mm. Hope this is clear enough.

The worlds set-up is same as the TITC set-up!

Also for stock I suggest to use little rebound.

I never understood the rebound stroke line in the set-up sheet but I think it's how much mm the springholder is tight down on the shock. Maybe someone else can answer your question?

JGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:29 AM   #85
Tech Initiate

Hi Jilles,

Thank you for taking the time out to answer some questions for us all. Im suprised that more Top drivers dont take the time out to do this as im sure this sort of support will sell cars, i will definatly now switch to a 416.

A couple of quick questions for you

Tweak- I was curious about how you go about making sure your car is tweak free, is there a method for doing it and do you use things like tweak guages and balancing tools...also what is an aceptable spring collar diffrence left to right?

Steering throw- Its something i have played with alot do you have a bench mark angle you always start from? i have found that you can really upset a car with a lot of lock and make it equaly as bad with not enough!

Tyres- If you feel that the cars tires are over heating But changing to another compound is not an option how would you go about curing this with set up changes, obviously smoother driving helps but i was wondering if spring changes can help at all?

Thanks Again
Green Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:32 AM   #86
Tech Elite

Thanks again Jilles, that clears my confusion.
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #87
Tech Adept

Green Speed,

Thanks for your kinds words. I think it's a good thing to have a thread like this so I can help everyone out.

Chassis tweak:
I always set my chassis on two support blocks and then I tight up the topdeck. After a crash I always untight the screws and do this. Then I first check the downstops without shocks. After I check the length of the shocks I put on the shocks and check the downstops again. I always measure the distance from the spring collar to the top so all left and right are equal. Sometimes I match some springs and try to find two with the same length but the differents is minimum anyway.

I always use 90% lock so the steering block have 2/3mm distance till the caster blocks, must have little play.

A softer spring helps to avoid tyre overheating as well as run thicker oil. Like Worlds in Thailand we ran HB blue spring(14Lb) with 700 oil.

JGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:48 PM   #88
Tech Champion
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi Jilles,

From the standard setup, what would you change to gain more mid-corner steering? At the local track, I have good intial, but seems to want to wash out a bit mid-corner, or it's not rotating quick enough.

I've been thinking of shortening the front wheelbase to start, do you have any other suggestions?

| THard.co.uk |
TryHard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:02 AM   #89
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

miccal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 AM   #90
Tech Adept

Hi Jilles,

First off well done for starting this thread !! awesome info so far tx

I have a question about the setup on your esc, could you post what settings you running ?

Xray T4 15' - Hobbywing V3.1 ESC - Reedy Modified Motors - Thunder Power Batteries - Protoform - Much More
SlideMasteR is offline   Reply With Quote