Wiki Posts
Search

"Ask" Jilles Groskamp Tamiya 416 & 417, Team Orion Motors

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:05 AM
Tech Adept

Default Team Orion Motors

Hi Jilles,

I am going to run 13,5t motor this summer, but what shall I pick up the VST pro mod. or stock one?

We will race under the sportsman rules (0 timing) on both esc and motor.
Gearing down to 3,500 is allow.

Thanks
CP
Old 05-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi, Jilles

A question about the 417 TITC setting.

Why use the -0.5mm spacer for the FF/FR suspension mount? Only for more front rolling and traction?

Thanks and Best Regards
RS

Last edited by srw_g; 05-08-2011 at 09:41 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Adept

I would like to talk about oil brand...

Jill, you use Much More oil, right ? Why not Tamiya ones ? Is it the same, I mean 400 MM egal 400 Tamiya ?

Other question : You use HPI silver front and rear... What is the equivalence for tamiya spring ? Because it's weird that everybody use the same spring front and rear with the HPI one, and out of the box, we have blue tamiya front and yellow rear...

Thanks in advance
Old 05-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Jilles

Currently running Orion 4.5 about to purchase the new generation of the motor

Running in 12th scale between 36rollout and 40 depening on esc setup.. how different would the setup need to be with the new motor??

Can you tell us more about new Orion esc??
Old 05-09-2011, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

When sweeping the front arms going from a CC blocks to CB blocks what does this do? More mid to end of corner steering?

Cheers
Old 05-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

Jiles, Back to your 2 oring shock set up. Do you find yourself running the same wt oil as before with this or do you change the oil slightly to suit this oring set up? I am using this currently on my Mi4CX and really like it. Even though i am not running a tamiya I Love the advice in this thread. Regards Benzaah.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

Thank you Jilles!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Tech Regular

Hi Jilles,

how you do to stop leak from the spec-r gear diff?? btw good luck on your upcoming race...
Old 05-10-2011, 06:20 PM
JGH
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by shikakae123
Also thank you for the reply!!!
No problem!

Originally Posted by Blueman Austria
THX for your feedback, and good luck for your next races...

Will you run the TW Euros in Austria this year?

Greetings Blueman
Thanks! Yes, I will do the Euros in Austria!

I again! :-)

Another few questions:

When you look at the shims under the chamber links in the kit instructions for the 417 are 4mm fornt and 3mm rear. Is this a good balanced starting point for any surface? asphalt and carpet?
When you change things there, how much should you do this, and how does it afect the handling of the car?

What about wheelbase? I never runed anything other than kitsetup in my Tamiyas? Is there also a suggestion for a change?

My problem is that my car is a little lazy in fast sweepers, so other drivers can carry slightly more speed in this sections.

My setupfor asphalt:

HPI sliver with MM 400 oil, no rebound all around
B-C, and XA-E with 0,5mm shims alaround,
1,5 front 2 negative chamber
Front spool, rear spec R Diff with 1000 oil.
Droop is front 5mm rear 4mm (meassured when the car is without tires flat on the setupboard with the gauge under the arms)
5mm front, 5,5 rear ground clearance
Shocktower front one hole inner (from the middle)
Rear in the middle.
Body is an LTC-R
The rest is all kitsetup

Thanks Blueman
If you car feels lazy try harder spring, such as HPI Purple.
Downstop 6mm front and 5mm rear makes the car also faster response.
As for the wheelbase, I have been running only 1mm shim in the rear of the front suspension arms, which is 1mm shorter wheelbase then before.
As for the camberlink shims. I normally run like 5mm front and 4mm rear if the traction is good, if low traction you can run 4mm and 3mm to give little more chassis roll.

Originally Posted by Cp Grafix
Hi Jilles,

I am going to run 13,5t motor this summer, but what shall I pick up the VST pro mod. or stock one?

We will race under the sportsman rules (0 timing) on both esc and motor.
Gearing down to 3,500 is allow.

Thanks
CP
Not really understand your question? What's VST?

Originally Posted by srw_g
Hi, Jilles

A question about the 417 TITC setting.

Why use the -0.5mm spacer for the FF/FR suspension mount? Only for more front rolling and traction?

Thanks and Best Regards
RS
This felt for me little more steering and the car doesn't roll as much.

Originally Posted by kedal
I would like to talk about oil brand...

Jill, you use Much More oil, right ? Why not Tamiya ones ? Is it the same, I mean 400 MM egal 400 Tamiya ?

Other question : You use HPI silver front and rear... What is the equivalence for tamiya spring ? Because it's weird that everybody use the same spring front and rear with the HPI one, and out of the box, we have blue tamiya front and yellow rear...

Thanks in advance
The reason I use MM oil is that the whole team started to use this many years ago and it's better starting point for everyone using the same brand oil. I think I explain in previous posts, carpet = Tamiya white/blue asphalt is HPI silver most of the time.

Originally Posted by Me_MrTyson
Jilles

Currently running Orion 4.5 about to purchase the new generation of the motor

Running in 12th scale between 36rollout and 40 depening on esc setup.. how different would the setup need to be with the new motor??

Can you tell us more about new Orion esc??
Honestly I didn't try the new motor in 1/12 yet. I'm sure you will have more power with the same turns. The new Orion R10 speedo now it's in his final stage to be finished!

Originally Posted by Smartypants
When sweeping the front arms going from a CC blocks to CB blocks what does this do? More mid to end of corner steering?

Cheers
Less entry, more mid and exit steering.

Originally Posted by Benzaah
Jiles, Back to your 2 oring shock set up. Do you find yourself running the same wt oil as before with this or do you change the oil slightly to suit this oring set up? I am using this currently on my Mi4CX and really like it. Even though i am not running a tamiya I Love the advice in this thread. Regards Benzaah.
I think with 2 o-ring vs 1 o-ring the oil differents is about 50Wt. Instead of using 600Wt with 1 o-ring I use 550Wt with 2 o-ring. Thanks for your message.

Originally Posted by RL.2002
Hi Jilles,

how you do to stop leak from the spec-r gear diff?? btw good luck on your upcoming race...
You can't really stop it 100%, but use some thick grease around the o-ring.
Use oil at least 1000Wt, thinner will leak more.

Jilles
Old 05-10-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Hello Jilles-

Are you racing the Reedy Race in Union City, California in a few weeks? Maybe I will make a special trip to see Team Tamiya. You, Marc, Elliot and Viktor are all signed up in the Invitational class.

So also big thanks again for answering my newbie questions.

If you have time a few more: For 417 what steering spacers should I try for ackermann on different types of tracks? Also what types of tracks and conditions do you recommend running front arm sweep? Always 1D/1B for sweep or other combinations?

Thanks
Brett
Old 05-10-2011, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

THX Jilles!

I think with the harder spring you mean HPI Pink (not purple) right?

Greetings, and see you in Austria!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:36 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks Jill ! I found some HPI silver spring, so I could try this soon ! I will try the MM oil too, I'll let you know my feeling about this setting.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:09 AM
JGH
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Tron
Hello Jilles-

Are you racing the Reedy Race in Union City, California in a few weeks? Maybe I will make a special trip to see Team Tamiya. You, Marc, Elliot and Viktor are all signed up in the Invitational class.

So also big thanks again for answering my newbie questions.

If you have time a few more: For 417 what steering spacers should I try for ackermann on different types of tracks? Also what types of tracks and conditions do you recommend running front arm sweep? Always 1D/1B for sweep or other combinations?

Thanks
Brett
Brett, unfortunate I will not attend the Reedy this year. Marc and Viktor are attending this race. Elliott is still in school so I think he can't race either.
For the ackermann I always use 2mm shims, this in combination with 1mm shim on the back of the front suspension arms. I almost never try 1D/1B but you can try on big tracks with sweepers.

THX Jilles!

I think with the harder spring you mean HPI Pink (not purple) right?

Greetings, and see you in Austria!
Thanks for the update, I mean pink! See you in Austria! Is there any chance for practise at the euros track somewhere around July, you know?

Originally Posted by kedal
Thanks Jill ! I found some HPI silver spring, so I could try this soon ! I will try the MM oil too, I'll let you know my feeling about this setting.
Let me know how it goes!

Jilles
Old 05-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JGH
Less entry, more mid and exit steering.
Many thanks
Old 05-11-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry I was so unclear, but english is not my main speaking.

I mean which orion motor is best for 13.5t stock racing.
The racing version or stock version.

Plus if I want to get a gearing of 3.500 shall I use 64p or is 48p a better option?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.