Wiki Posts
Search

Carpet Racer

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Carpet Racer

Howdy guys I'm new into the whole world of RC's... Currently I only own 1/8 off road nitros.. I'm looking into getting into the 1/10 AWD touring cars... I would like a good decent brusless rtr platform to tinker around with until I can afford an XrayT2009.... I'd appreciate some good guidence on this please...

Ive been looking at the HPI sprint 2 Flux as an rtr and the losi JRX-S... but I'm not sure so any help would be great...

Thanks,
Alex
Old 03-31-2009, 02:26 AM
Tech Master

Hi mate, if funds are limited, I would have a look at one of the new breed of 200mm pan cars. I have a BMI chassis and it runs brilliantly. I know that you are intrested in TC's but after running mine around our local track, loads of people came over to see what was under the shell, and then really suprised to see it was a pan car with 'only' a 4 cell pack in it! It outran the TC's with ease as well!! By getting one of these chassis's, that would save you a fair bit for your brushless setup, etc. Food for though, cheers!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingman2
Hi mate, if funds are limited, I would have a look at one of the new breed of 200mm pan cars. I have a BMI chassis and it runs brilliantly. I know that you are intrested in TC's but after running mine around our local track, loads of people came over to see what was under the shell, and then really suprised to see it was a pan car with 'only' a 4 cell pack in it! It outran the TC's with ease as well!! By getting one of these chassis's, that would save you a fair bit for your brushless setup, etc. Food for though, cheers!
+1!

You can't go wrong with a 200mm Pan Car. These cars have been gaining massive popularity recently because of ease in setting these cars up and how much fun they are to drive. They cost a bit less than touring cars as well.

You should look into a car that accepts 2s LiPo battery packs such as the Darkside, CRC Gen X 10, Corally CCT, and the BMI 10R with LiPo plate. 2s LiPo and 17.5/21.5 comboes are popping up all over the place recently for both indoor and outdoor. 4-cell NiMH packs are becoming "passe" nowadays.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

i am for sure running a 2 cell lipo indoors.... some somthing in the 10.5 turn motor.... also whats a pan car? 190mm is the restriction on car length in the competitive racing in-which i want to compete in...

Alex
Old 03-31-2009, 10:07 AM
Woz
Tech Apprentice

the 190mm is related to the width. you want to race in 10th Electic Touring Car. Try speed passion motor/esc combo, should save you some pennies. 10th Pan is a new class, 200mm width and rear wheel drive. Look in the For Sale section on this forum and you'll probbly find a nice bit of kit. There's hardly any brushless rtr packages atm, your better off paying seperately. If you do want a RTR package, i recommend the Cyclone RTR's decent cars, good setup and great start to TC's. With your xray in mind, the Cyclone isn't that different, so you will be able to take most of the things you learned from the cyclone to the xray. Hope this helps...
Old 03-31-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Even though you're budget minded, dont go with a RTR setup like the Cyclone S. Buy a good used high end chassis instead. Cyclone TC's are better since they have the aluminum parts on there already that will save you loads of broken plastic/graphite parts down the road.

Because you'll end up spending all this money on a RTR only to want more. And you'll lose in on your investment as a lot of these RTR dont have good resale at all. I learned that the hard way. So did my wallet...

So I'd say a used chassis, a lipo, lipo charger(onyx230), a radio system, and electronics of your choice. If you want new, and are willing tot ry out a new company. Teamwave, from what I hear, is putting out a really amazing ESC/motor combo. The motors are Speed passions relabeled. Teamwave isnt new themselves but there ESC/motor are. Radio you can go spectrum now used for well under $200. Or look into somethign cheaper if you want to.

But I will say this. You'll want to upgrade. It happens. And when you start off on the cheap side, you end up in the long run, spend ing a lot more money, than if you just bought good stuff from the start. And good doesnt even mean expensive. YUsed radio and chassis arent that expensive.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RC-DriftNewb
Even though you're budget minded, dont go with a RTR setup like the Cyclone S. Buy a good used high end chassis instead. Cyclone TC's are better since they have the aluminum parts on there already that will save you loads of broken plastic/graphite parts down the road.

Because you'll end up spending all this money on a RTR only to want more. And you'll lose in on your investment as a lot of these RTR dont have good resale at all. I learned that the hard way. So did my wallet...

So I'd say a used chassis, a lipo, lipo charger(onyx230), a radio system, and electronics of your choice. If you want new, and are willing tot ry out a new company. Teamwave, from what I hear, is putting out a really amazing ESC/motor combo. The motors are Speed passions relabeled. Teamwave isnt new themselves but there ESC/motor are. Radio you can go spectrum now used for well under $200. Or look into somethign cheaper if you want to.

But I will say this. You'll want to upgrade. It happens. And when you start off on the cheap side, you end up in the long run, spend ing a lot more money, than if you just bought good stuff from the start. And good doesnt even mean expensive. YUsed radio and chassis arent that expensive.
Well i basically already have my car set up mentally... Going to run sensored.. 2 cell lipo probably an SMC 5000mah.... got a good deal on a venom pro charger w/ balancer and power feed for $80.... jaco tires/wheels... dont knwo what servo yet... i have a JR xs3 I could use i guess... kinda want a spektrum though... ill be building this through the summer hopefully to race this winter when its too cold to run the nitos outside...

My local hobby shop has a brand new Xray T2R pro for $300...

I'm just not sure yet i wanted some opinions....

so who makes the best motor/esc combos? teken, castle creations, novak, etc.?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I know it's an older car design, but the TC4 is still a very good option for a beginner. It has all the tuning options you could want and it's easy to find parts for. It's also very durable. At a club level, it's very competitive. You won't be able to take advantage of the capabilities of high end cars until your driving and setup skills have improved anyway.

Stay away from the Sprint. It is a good basher, but not a very good racer.

Other cars you might want to consider are the Tamiya TA05 series and the Associated TC5F.

In the end, I'd go with what you can get parts for easily at the LHS.

About used cars, they can be a double edged sword. They may cost less up front, but in the end, you could end up investing more than new to fix problems created by the prior owner. So, be very well educated about the car before buying used.

Last edited by redbarton; 04-01-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

is the TC4 belt driven?

Alex
Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

academy str-4 pro-2 was my first real TC. very good car for the money, carbon chassis and top deck , shaft drive,easy to drive, pro qual shocks, CVD axles, steel outdrive cups, etc. plus it is very cheap compared to alot of other cars. I would highly reccomend this for you if money is a llittle tight. I also have a used one I used as a rolling spare parts car when i ued to drive the academy that i could sell you (Ill give you all my setups for it too =D)

Last edited by Little_Mike; 04-01-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hound_dogs_01
is the TC4 belt driven?

Alex
no it is shaft, but at this stage I think that is negligible since you will be learning how to drive for a while. as for motors and speedos,
the speedpassion grandturismo FPF is good, has a little programming card so u dont have to do the blinky light thing, but i have also heard good thing about the tekin's performance, plus that can hook up to ur PC to program its values. For motors I just recently got both an orion vortex and a High velocity(trinity) duo (dont get the pulse), and i am very happy with the performance of both. in fact the orion was what I won my regional title with (plus it is much less noisy/squeaky than the novaks) but the novak motors are okay too, and there alot of used ones on the market so you could probably find a decent one for cheap.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:33 PM
Tech Master

well im looking at the tc5f and losi jrxs-r since my lhs carries all its parts for those... theres a losi jrxs-r in the tade/sell forum im looking at... it seems like a good deal but once i get it ill have to buy lipo and bushless ystem to go in it.. im still toying with my options...

e-mail me some pics of your car mike? [email protected]

Alex
Old 04-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

bump....

mike i want some pics bud...

Alex
Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

+1 for whoever said buy a used high-end...since you are planning on running the 009 eventually, I'd suggest checking the for sale threads and fleabay for a nice 007. There are plenty of good deals that include spares, something you will need plenty of running carpet. You didn't specify if you are running rubber tire or foams, so if you go the TC5 route make sure you get the R for rubbers and the F for foams.

-rocky b
Old 04-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Tech Champion

+1 with the suggestions.

It's very easy to outdrive a fully built RTR that you'll probably need to upgrade/replace later anyway.

I had the tc3team for a few years and came to my senses that it was the car that was the problem, not me.

Now I have the car and the speed and i'm back to learning how to get even quicker, with the all important consistancy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.