SpeedWorld NEW SJ'R Sorex pre-mounted Racing tires

SpeedWorld NEW SJ'R Sorex pre-mounted Racing tires

Old 06-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
Here's a good thread with all of the info:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ing-tires.html
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my questions.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by billythekid
Thanks, but that doesn't answer my questions.
Old 06-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

What insert and wheel did you tried?
Steve used SJR inserts and reused some Jaco rims to make his "home made" versions.

Which Sorex inserts are used in SJR premounts?
There not a sorex insert, there one's that Billy had developed for the SJR premounts.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default ISSUES

To everyone that has bought and used these tires, what kind of surface have you been racing on and what is the track temp?

Our Hobby shop just received a shipment of 36R's, upon request from several racers, of which many bought to race with this Sunday and I have to say there was not one person who didn't complain about how bad the wear was after only one or two runs.

We race on an old parking lot in a busy shopping center with a track size of 110' x 70'. The track is prepared before racing by blowing it off with leaf blowers and than a fair amount of sugar water is added for traction. The track temp at first qualifier was probably 115 DegF and by the mains 135.

My car was handling great until the main when it started push in and out of the turns rather badly. I did not change my setup from the 3rd qualifier to the main.

The tires started scalloping or developing little ridges, which is usually induce by overheating the tire. The outside edge seemed to wear more than normal also. My setup did not changed at all from last week when I was running Speedmind 36R's which did not show or develop any of these symptoms. I spoke with each of the other racers which all reported the same phenomenon. We also noticed a rather large buildup of rubber on the inside of the body by the end of the day.

So I’m not quite sure why Speedmind tires would perform better than the SJ-R other than the insert must really make a difference. I'm also thinking most of the testing for this new combination must have been done solely on the pristine surface of Speedworld or other tracks in California and not on rough pavement like most other club surfaces.

Sorry for the rant but I and many others really had high hopes for these tires.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are your SJRs on the Jaco Prizm wheel? That wheel has a bigger outer diameter than inner, so it generally needs more camber.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Do the SJR premounts use Pink or Yellow labeled Sorex tires?

yellow, and like a hara ver 2 insert with a little change.

Billy
Old 06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bkspeedo
To everyone that has bought and used these tires, what kind of surface have you been racing on and what is the track temp?

Our Hobby shop just received a shipment of 36R's, upon request from several racers, of which many bought to race with this Sunday and I have to say there was not one person who didn't complain about how bad the wear was after only one or two runs.

We race on an old parking lot in a busy shopping center with a track size of 110' x 70'. The track is prepared before racing by blowing it off with leaf blowers and than a fair amount of sugar water is added for traction. The track temp at first qualifier was probably 115 DegF and by the mains 135.

My car was handling great until the main when it started push in and out of the turns rather badly. I did not change my setup from the 3rd qualifier to the main.

The tires started scalloping or developing little ridges, which is usually induce by overheating the tire. The outside edge seemed to wear more than normal also. My setup did not changed at all from last week when I was running Speedmind 36R's which did not show or develop any of these symptoms. I spoke with each of the other racers which all reported the same phenomenon. We also noticed a rather large buildup of rubber on the inside of the body by the end of the day.

So I’m not quite sure why Speedmind tires would perform better than the SJ-R other than the insert must really make a difference. I'm also thinking most of the testing for this new combination must have been done solely on the pristine surface of Speedworld or other tracks in California and not on rough pavement like most other club surfaces.

Sorry to hear that they didn't work. I wish I could answer your concern, but I can't and will not make any excuses for our tires. They have been tested at several tracks and one out of state parking lot track in Texas and only have seen this problem once at one of our local tracks and the one racer ended up changing his set-up little and the problem went away. Now there were 20 other racers that same day using our tires at this local track and they did not have the problem like the one racer did.
We have sold 2000 tires in the 3 months and you are the first that the entire club had this problem all at once. Sorry I can not answer the problem except take some pictures and send them to me and I will see if I can help in any way.

Thank you and I am sorry for the inconvenience and for the rant, that is ok, we have to know about these things to improve our product if needed.

Thank you Billy
Old 06-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

We have tested on smooth to a little rough track and temps from 93 to 163 track temp with 36r's. We have tested with no spray just clean suface and lot's of spray with syrup.

Thanks Billy
Old 06-30-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thats odd,I don't run at Speedworld often,but I will say that I run on a parking lot track that is slurry coated but a little on the rough side and have found that there has been no difference in tire wear then my home track which is usually high bite and very clean/prepped and hard on front sweeper tires. I have had even wear and no feathering as you have described like we were getting with the newest version RP30's at both of these tracks.I think it may be partly a setup issue if your getting that kind of wear.I have literally 10 runs on my recent set and the tires still show a slight bead and is shiny on the contact patch.Crazy!Anyways,hopefully you can work it out,because these tires have been very good for local racing at 3 different tracks that all have different surface types and preparations.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by adamge
Are your SJRs on the Jaco Prizm wheel? That wheel has a bigger outer diameter than inner, so it generally needs more camber.
I just measured 2 sets, and none of them measure different from the outer to inner diameter. And even if they were made that way mounting a rubber tire in them wouldn't fit to well on the inside bead then would it.

Maybe your thinking of the Jaco prisim 1.5 Nitro shoes!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

So far they have been pretty dialed at my track. They do take a slightly different setup than the speedmind combo. The speedmind combo sure pushes a lot more than the SJ-R premount, but the SJ-R also wears a ton better from what I can tell. That's on a sealed asphalt parking lot track, sprayed with mt dew, using tire tweak/buggy grip as the traction compound. The only issue I've had is one of the wheels is a little wobbly after a hit that made most people watching cringe LOL.

-Korey
Old 06-30-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My sources found a sneak peak of Billy's upcoming advertising campaign:

Old 06-30-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Billy is really taking his new advertising campaign to a new level!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

easy now, now I am confussed, is this Solhman or Jav?
Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I ran SJR's for the first time this weekend at my local track and I love them. I TQ'd and was a second faster than the field. My local track is smooth high traction with grape soda added as well. Track temp was 125F. The turn in on these tires was unreal. It felt like I was on carpet I race with a couple of others that use this forum as well and they had great results with the SJR's. The tires have just started scrubbing in and still have shiny spots on them. I did notice the same wear on the outside of the tire, almost to the face of the rim. I believe that has to do with the inserts being so short and allowing the tire to roll more. That and me having to turn the wheel a little further than normal because my car had so much grip.

What you are saying about the tires feeling like they are falling off after a few runs has happened to me too. With Sorex, Take off, Much More etc. they still might be fast, but they don't quite have that edge. To counter that I clean my tires with simple green and put some traction compound on. Perks them right back up. I usually do that after 2 runs...sometimes after every run depending on how the track is that day.

I race in parking lots as well, and with soft inserts in Sorex tires plus rough pavement, it will eat the rubber off very fast. I have been using soft Hara inserts on the tires I make and usually try to save the Sorex for the main by running harder tires for qualifiying. 36R is pretty durable but they are still a really soft tire. I cry everytime I look up into the body and see hunks of Sorex rubber up there So I feel your pain on that one. Maybe run Speedmind premounts for qual's and save the SJR for the main?

The grooving you see is caused by lots of things. The main ones that I think cause it are, track, spool, chassis setup and driving style. The overheating you mentioned being a by product. I get a good amount of life out of tires by always rotating, watching wear and adjusting suspension to suit. You might want to try changing your setup some and see how your tire wear is with the SJR's. I set my cars up to where they turn/rotate with very little input from the wheel. So basically I rarely have to go to full lock on steering. Most of my friends cannot drive my setups cause they think its too twitchy but if you set your car up to handle good at like 90pct steering expo, if you encounter a push in the main, a couple of clicks up on your d/r will get you back where you need to be without even touching your car

Sorry for long reply but I'm a bit chatty at the moment. I wish you luck!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.