Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
other liquids to use for tire sauce? (rubber tire) >

other liquids to use for tire sauce? (rubber tire)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

other liquids to use for tire sauce? (rubber tire)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I believe they are talking about Concentrated Simple Green all purpose cleaner, The Green kind.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Thumbs up

You guys have no idea how great this knowledge is... i have been wondering about creative ways to save a few bucks here and there. Very helpful!
Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

WD-40 keeps the tires nice and soft, and I had been using that for years. But hearing SimpleGreen, I decided to check them both and see which worked better. I applied wd-40 liberally to one set... Simplegreen to another, and let them sit for 30 minutes. Then I wiped off the excess, cleaned my hands, and did a simple check with my fingers to see which was "stickier"... and the Simplegreen was much more sticky. I think if you are looking for something to give you that extra bit of grip for your first couple laps before your tires heat up... Simplegreen will work awesome.

I also tried anti-freeze, as I read it has all kinds of rubber softeners built in.. but it didn't do anything really.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Sweet! Good to know Simple Green beats WD-40 even if it was just in a simple, non-scientific test.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default simple green

Where are you guys buying simple green?
Old 04-20-2009, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rockstar81
I believe they are talking about Concentrated Simple Green all purpose cleaner, The Green kind.
Thanks, that simplifies it a lot.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

We have been using wd-40 to store the tires during the week. Then on race day Buggy Grip to prep the tire and Death Grip to finish it up, letting that air dry no wipe off. I have always disliked putting anything on the tire before a race but this combo has worked very well.

Rod
Old 04-21-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by glider72
Where are you guys buying simple green?
Simple green is available most everywhere. I personally like to buy it at Sam's Club, Home Depot, Lowes, Wal-Mart, really anywhere in the cleaning aisle. It's good stuff for everything!
Old 04-21-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Hi

For those of us living outside the US, can someone explain exactly what Simple Green is? I know its a household cleaner, can you suggest any other similar brands as (as far as I know), you can't get Simple Green here in the UK

Many thanks
Oli
Old 04-21-2009, 07:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother
Hi

For those of us living outside the US, can someone explain exactly what Simple Green is? I know its a household cleaner, can you suggest any other similar brands as (as far as I know), you can't get Simple Green here in the UK

Many thanks
Oli
Oli,
Simple Green is an industrial type cleaner sold to the consumer. It's really more of a degreaser than anything and is biodegradable in it's newest form I think. I'm not sure what it's labeled as outside the US but I can send you a pic if it would help to identify it. It's like windex in that it is translucent but is a deep green color. Good stuff. Lemme know.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Bigger Brother
Hi

Many thanks
Oli
It's an all natural bio-friendly cleaner, that you get in concentrait, and delute with water either more or less depending on what you are tryign to clean:

AND.. you can buy it right from their website.

http://www.simplegreen.com/products_...se_cleaner.php
Old 04-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Wow from everything Ive read Im gona be sold on Simple Green. do you guys delute it at all or streight from the Tap? since our track only allows Jack the gripper I know its not the best stuff in the world. and with S/G how often do you clean your tires. every round or just once for the whole day? I would think if you use it every round it would soften them too much and do you follow up with gripper or your choice of goop?
Old 04-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wiscnitro
do you guys delute it at all or streight from the Tap?
STraight from the bottle, no water.

since our track only allows Jack the gripper I know its not the best stuff in the world. and with S/G how often do you clean your tires. every round or just once for the whole day?
Before every run. And condering it isn't actually a type of "tire sauce", just a "cleaner".... i dont think there are rules on "cleaning" your tires.

I would think if you use it every round it would soften them too much and do you follow up with gripper or your choice of goop?
IT doesn't really soften the rubber per-se... it makes them a tad tacky, which seems to be tacky in a way that is more than just on the surface, adding to traction for maybe your first lap or two before your tires warm up. I don't think you will see any negative side affect of using it every run.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks Captin-A so dose simple grear elminate the need for sause? probly dosn't hurt to add it but why use it if you don't need to. Ive used S/G on cleaning engine blocks and I know how good it works but I never would of thought of using it in a Rc appliciation
Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

oh and to everyone using SimpleGreen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.