Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GT7 Question....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:29 PM
Tech Regular

Default Novak GT7 Question....

I just purchased this speed control and I was wondering if I could remove the circuit that is under the shrink wrap.

The reason for this is that the wires are way to long but I have never seen anything like this on any other speed control I have owned.

Thanks....
Old 12-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Novak GT7 Question....

Originally posted by wolfeman09
I just purchased this speed control and I was wondering if I could remove the circuit that is under the shrink wrap.

The reason for this is that the wires are way to long but I have never seen anything like this on any other speed control I have owned.

Thanks....
The "circuit board" is the newest 25amp doide which has been incorporated in the ESC so that you dont have to solder 1 in your motor.

Yes, you can take it out, but you'd have to put doides in your motor, personally, i wouldn't, it makes your motor run more "cooler" and reduces "noise"
Old 12-03-2003, 09:21 PM
jsp
Tech Regular

Run the new circuit, I have added it to my older Novaks. You have to make it fit. How are you and the family?
john
Old 12-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

You can take it off and resolder it onto the wires somewhere else but it needs to stay on there. Novak also offers it seperately with 2 wires off of it that you can solder onto your motor or elsewhere as long it's on the positive wire and negative motor wire.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Does anyone have any pitures with a TC3?

Thanks.....
Old 12-04-2003, 03:43 AM
Tech Adept

I don't know if this will help or not, but these are images of my BMI TC3 with the NOVAK GT-7 installed. I use a standard Schottky diode inline as close to the motor as I can within reason. This keeps me from having to have several schottkys on the several motors I run.

Old 12-04-2003, 04:46 AM
Tech Regular

Default gt-7

correct me if i am wrong, but i think removing that diode also voids the warranty?
Old 12-04-2003, 04:54 AM
Tech Adept

correct me if i am wrong, but i think removing that diode also voids the warranty?
I can't believe it does, especially because you have external solder tabs to use your own wiring ideas. And in some cases you have no choice as space is an issue. Also if you are like me, I use 12 gauge wet noodle on everything so the oem diode had to go.
Old 12-04-2003, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

that's what it said in the instruction menu

i think you can use the stand alone doide novak sells
Old 12-04-2003, 09:54 AM

nicely done...i love the GT7's.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Tech Regular

It's no problem ditching the new diode. Just put everything back when you send it in. Running all the extra stuff on the GT7 depends on what class you're racing.

In 6 cell Sedan, there's plenty of room for the new diode so you might as well run it. In 12th, You can take it off and just use the normal diodes that you always have.

Also, in stock 12th you can ditch that huge capacitor. I would definately run it in Mod though.
Old 12-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Novak needs to update their instructions then because a rookie like me would not know that the thing shrink wrapped was the diode. I have been soldering diodes to my motors too and it has been a major pain. Novaks instructions say you have to actually add a diode to the motor, if they have it built in now why have not not updated or at least added a drop in to say so??
Old 12-05-2003, 07:16 AM
Tech Initiate

I recently purchased a GT7. Your right the instructions are outdated. However, My GT7 box did have a notice in there that explained the new diode. It was tucked away under the decals that came with it.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think my had that notice too.. but dummy me though you were supposed to still install one on the motor too. I didnt think there was really a need for 2 of them, but who am I to argue with instructions.
Old 12-05-2003, 12:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I use the GT7...and removed the shrink wrap from the diode and soldered it directl to the power wires..

see my mod at:

http://groups.msn.com/RCZOMBIES/novakdiodemod.msnw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.