Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LRP Pulsar Competition Battery & Motor Managment

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2002, 03:09 AM
Tech Addict

Default LRP Pulsar Competition Battery & Motor Managment

Thought that this new product which was on display during the Nuremberg toy-fair might interest many of you:

hopefully that works with the picture... Anyway, here are the units specs:

- 3 units in one !!! Charging, Discharging, Motor Run-In

- 0,1-8A adjusteable charge current
- Linear- and Reflexcharging with adjusteable Delta-Peak
- 10A Discharge Circuit with adjusteable cut-off voltage. Displays discharge capacity and average voltage!
- Adjusteable voltage output for Motor Run-In or to power external devices such as comm-lathe or soldering iron!
- Autostart-Timer programmable from 0-99 minutes
- Auto-Restart-System (starts operation automatically when power was gone and more!)
- Matching Mode (Automatically measures a battery pack)
- PWM charge circuit for efficient operation and allows charging of 1-8 cells!
- Works from 11-15 Volts DC
- Easy and intuitive software and operation with 4 buttons
- 2x16 LCD-display with blue backlight
- Cool looking metallised case

Retail in Germany 299 Euro (which is around $250.-)
Old 02-05-2002, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Reto,

why only 10 amps discharge?
Everybody is packing at least 20 amps nowadays.

Cool charger, but not up to par with the Integy 16x5.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

We think that 10A is sufficient for most applications the Pulsar will be used and that the cost/performance ratio is the best with this solution. A 20A discharge circuit would make it much more expensive and larger then it is now. That's not what we wanted...

I know that some units offer higher discharge rates but I believe we offer a great product when comparing with other existing systems in this market-segment which can "charge only".

One thing I forgot in my previous mail was the new lifetime warranty for all LRP speed-controls and chargers.
Old 02-05-2002, 06:34 AM
Tech Elite

...and I thought there were enough charge only's out there.

I just know thet the Indi 16x5 is one of the best selling chargers here in the US because it has almost all the features of the Turbo 30/35 at half the price. (and they packed it in the same size than yours :-))

Na ja, vielleicht verlangt der deutsche Markt ja andere features.
Old 02-05-2002, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: LRP Pulsar Competition Battery & Motor Managment

Interesting product !

Just checked out LRP's site, nothing is mentioned...

PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) is switching on and off. The voltage is either zero or max, only duty-cycle is changed. So how can it be, that this charger is called "linear"?

What are the specs of the Reflex charging?

What excatly do the Matching Mode do?
Old 02-05-2002, 08:09 AM
Regional Moderator

reto,
is it possible you start posting mail on the pro3 thread of rctech.... i know you know alot of info on the pro3....maybe you can help and give us tips on the pro3....here!
thanks
Old 02-05-2002, 08:18 AM
Tech Addict

@Cole Trickle: yep, nothing on the LRP-site yet since almost our entire staff is still in Nuremberg at the show... Will be up there soon...

Your right that the PWM is turning on and off, but in combination with a coil and capacitors you still get a linear output. That's how switching power supplies work also!
The Reflex works with short 10A discharge pulses. Sorry, don't have more details to hand about that feature.
The matching mode is an automatic discharge-charge-discharge cycle which displays the relevant cell data at the end.

@mr4-malta: sorry, but I guess that I couldn't check the forum here frequently since I'm too busy with my work here at LRP. But I can ask Andreas Myrberg if he can join the discussion, he's one of our topdrivers and uses the Pro3 successfully.
Old 02-05-2002, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by burito
@Cole Trickle: yep, nothing on the LRP-site yet since almost our entire staff is still in Nuremberg at the show... Will be up there soon...

Your right that the PWM is turning on and off, but in combination with a coil and capacitors you still get a linear output. That's how switching power supplies work also!
The Reflex works with short 10A discharge pulses. Sorry, don't have more details to hand about that feature.
The matching mode is an automatic discharge-charge-discharge cycle which displays the relevant cell data at the end.
PWM; Well, thats what I thought, but your phrase goes like this: "PWM charge circuit...", not PWM power supply!

Matching mode; Also a little confusing; for matching, you'll need data on individual cells, but it's stated that "Matching Mode (Automatically measures a battery pack)". That's a hole pack? On the other hand, the charger can handle 1-8 cells, so I assume the charger can match single cells?
Old 02-05-2002, 10:50 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by burito

@mr4-malta: sorry, but I guess that I couldn't check the forum here frequently since I'm too busy with my work here at LRP. But I can ask Andreas Myrberg if he can join the discussion, he's one of our topdrivers and uses the Pro3 successfully.
that would be nice.....thanks!!!