US INDOOR CHAMPS 2009

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US INDOOR CHAMPS 2009

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

The largest reason for the down turn at the Champs is the fact that the race and its' promoters haven't grown with the hobby. Unfortunately, it's been in a downward spiral for several years. Most racers have had enough of "It will be better next year".

* You can go to the Snowbirds or Vegas for the same or even LESS money.
* Race with tons of competition, all the Mfg's and International racers.
* Much nicer Hotels with lots of stuff to do and places to eat.
* Walk "The Strip" @ IIC, Go to Disney @ the Birds, dine at Denny’s @ the Champs.
* All the magazines attend, so you might even see your name in print
* Manufacturers tend to show off new stuff at these races
* The race directors keep the show on schedule and FUN

It's unfortunate that the promoters didn't take some profit and put it back into the race over the years.

Just look at what a great job Chicky and the Gate Crew have done with the Halloween Race. Better run race, better competition, nicer hotel, just a couple of days away from school, and again....more FUN.

Obviously the economy isn't helping the situation, but the fact is, if Ernst or Boylan or even the Gate Crew were running the Champs for the past several years, the parking lot would be full right now.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 12thScaleCrazy
The largest reason for the down turn at the Champs is the fact that the race and its' promoters haven't grown with the hobby. Unfortunately, it's been in a downward spiral for several years. Most racers have had enough of "It will be better next year".

* You can go to the Snowbirds or Vegas for the same or even LESS money.
* Race with tons of competition, all the Mfg's and International racers.
* Much nicer Hotels with lots of stuff to do and places to eat.
* Walk "The Strip" @ IIC, Go to Disney @ the Birds, dine at Denny’s @ the Champs.
* All the magazines attend, so you might even see your name in print
* Manufacturers tend to show off new stuff at these races
* The race directors keep the show on schedule and FUN

It's unfortunate that the promoters didn't take some profit and put it back into the race over the years.

Just look at what a great job Chicky and the Gate Crew have done with the Halloween Race. Better run race, better competition, nicer hotel, just a couple of days away from school, and again....more FUN.

Obviously the economy isn't helping the situation, but the fact is, if Ernst or Boylan or even the Gate Crew were running the Champs for the past several years, the parking lot would be full right now.
12thScaleCrazy just summed it up.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Change the date, there are a lot of people that don't see a reason to goto a race over a family holiday. I haven't been in the hobby long enough to remember the Indoor Champs fame either, IIC and the birds are first on my list to make it too.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just my 2 cents...The race almost died in 1996 when there were only about 200 entries, all 1/12th scale. I went for the next 8 years and it kept getting better, but it was only running stock and mod 1/12th and touring.
I was looking to get back into it but i could not believe how much the cars were costing. Touring cars going for $480-$500, and 1/12th going for $200+ is a little hard to swallow. I know high end r/c racing has always been pricey, but this is getting nuts.
I am not sure how much the race cost this year but it just seemed to go up every year. And you seemed to get less. I have not been able to go to some of the newer "big" races like Snowbirds or IIC, I could not afford the travel expense, and entry fees.
I agree with what someone else posted that racing got in cycles. It does. I have been racing for 23 years, and it came and went.

Jeff
Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mtbboy
Race #'s are down globally guys.
This hobby runs in cycle's or laps if you will.
Once we figure out how to settle on less classes with better racing we will see #'s come back I think.
Mod seems to be dying.
Seems to me like the focus is to put food on the table not laps on the track.

Imho.

Dave.
Not sure I agree. The US Open Wheel Dirt Oval race is 2 weeks away, and has over 530+ entries - it filled in 2 days, and has 10 classes to choose from. For the past several years, it has had a 450 entry limit and filled every year.

Our weekly club races get 50-60 year round.

I believe that races/race events are a literal 'product' now. Races/events that don't offer a good 'product' are suffering, while the races/events that are offering a good product are not. The days of 'build it and they will come' are gone. Today, race promoters must provide the racers with a great product.

Scotty Ernst raised the bar for everyone with his first IIC, and has become the standard to which all other events are compared. Reason? He offers the best product.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Todd, I always knew you were a wise man. I think you hit the nail on the head. If the event is a good value and everyone knows that they will have a good time, they will figure out a way to get the money to go. I talked to a number of people that had been going to Cleveland for years that all said that it just wasn't that great of a race any more and have chosen to go to others. I have not been there since 2003 so I cannot say why it has gone down hill, but I can assure you that if it were considered one of the best, more people would be there.

The Halloween race was in the same city and only a month apart, but everyone I talked to that attended said that it was a great race and will definitly go again.

530 entries for a dirt oval race????? That's just crazy!
Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

How are the black diamond ESCs doing in the TC classes?
Old 11-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
How are the black diamond ESCs doing in the TC classes?
is anyone even running them in tc? i'm under the impression they only have an advantage in 1s applications. to be honest after watching the racing for the past few days i would say everything is pretty equal. there were only a few cars that looked like they were faster than the rest and that was from power and skill.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LOW ET
is anyone even running them in tc? i'm under the impression they only have an advantage in 1s applications. to be honest after watching the racing for the past few days i would say everything is pretty equal. there were only a few cars that looked like they were faster than the rest and that was from power and skill.
It's why I asked the question! Trying to figure out if its just a 1s speedo.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by or8ital
It's why I asked the question! Trying to figure out if its just a 1s speedo.
i asked this same question to a big name racer that raced vegas and he said it only had an advantage in 1s. tc used tekin and lrp.

i do know there were a few black diamond esc's available at the race but they were bought up in a blink of an eye maybe even to guys who pre-ordered them.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Change the date, there are a lot of people that don't see a reason to goto a race over a family holiday. I haven't been in the hobby long enough to remember the Indoor Champs fame either, IIC and the birds are first on my list to make it too.

+1 Change the date or shorten the amount of days if Halloween race can do it all in 3 days why cant the rest of them in this economy it is hard for someone to pay 89 dollars a night for 5 nights.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

dont understand why the entry is higher when u dont get handout motors,tires or anything so why are the entries higher?

i can understand vegas, duh your in vegas or florida, but cleveland cold cold no five star hotel so why the higher cost.

also to many classes.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

next year classes should be...

FOAM STOCK AND MOD
RUBBER STOCK AND MOD
12TH SCALE STOCK AND MOD
WGT 13.5 AND 10.5
TRANS AM FOR THE FUNSTERS,

thats 9 classes vs this years 11, now lets get rid of the classes that did not get run which was mod foam, and that takes you down to 8. in the stock classes allow 17.5 and 13.5, cause with driving styles, speed controls, they can and are very close in speeds, im running 13.5 rubber, getting my ass kicked, i think if i had ran a 17.5 instead, i may have been able to control my car better and not break out so much. However, only 4 of us wanted to run rubber stock. So what option did that leave me?

Maybe throw in some feel good awards for youngest driver etc etc.

thats my 1 cent.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

+1. Like someone else before said, the race was growing with just stock and mod classes, and IMo the sport will grow better if stock and mod is universally adopted as the set of classes for all scales
Old 11-28-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Elite

you can kick out 10.5 wgt also and run the class as intended with a 13.5.

not sure the difference in rules for vta and rcgt but make them the same and run the two classes together as one. then you'd have a variety of body styles instead of only a couple.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.