Wiki Posts
Search

Indi Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2002, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Indi Dyno

Hi everyone! Does anyone on here have any experience with the Indi Dyno. I just purchased one and I am kinda confused on what the numbers are telling me. Do I look for a bigger or smaller amp reading? What do I look for in a stock motor? I know this is not a true dyno but would like it to tell me what my which are my good motors. Thanks!
Old 07-24-2002, 10:25 PM
Tech Elite

a couple of things about the dyno -

1. don't try to compare the readings you get with those from someone else. . .they won't necessarily be the same. . .use it to baseline your own motors.

2. with a stock motor, probably be looking for a higher amperage (power) and for as high an rpm output as you can get.

I don't even really use mine to rate motors anymore - I use it to power my lathe and to break in motors.
Old 07-25-2002, 05:09 AM
Tech Initiate

The only really useful info I get off of it is the rpm. I use it to fine tune my gearing. I have noticed that rpm can change by + or - 3000 rpm after a comm cut.
Old 07-25-2002, 08:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hey Doug,

I found it usefull for RPM. And as boomer said, tough to compare numbers from Dyno to Dyno... Mine were way off from others. It is the best power source for my Lathe though.

BTW, we can take your best stock motor, and dyno it on a turbo dyno. then take the rpm reading on the Indy, and used that as a baseline for RPM on the indy. Just have to come out to gateway, then again, if your running the State Series.. maybe not... just shoot me an IM
Old 12-13-2003, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
interpreting the numbers

found this old thread ...

i got a used Speed Motor Lab dyno and i want to find info on how to interpret the numbers as the manual isnt of much help. it looks very similar to the indy dyno. the casing, LCD, and volt dial are almost exactly the same. for its functions, it can display CONDITION, RPM, and AMP, just like the indy dyno. however, it cannot display volts so ill have to use a separate voltmeter.

my questions are the ff:

1. is there a formula to compute TORQUE using the given results?
2. what does CONDITION mean? is it like a scale of 1 to 10? is a higher value better?
3. is a higher AMP value better for mod or stock motors?

right now, im only looking at the RPM values when i change brushes and springs. im also using it to break in my motors. im very confused as to how to interpret the CONDITION and AMP numbers

thanks for any info