Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Sentry Data Logger

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Adept

sounds like something for me to do in my spare time

out of interest what kind of sensors were you using for suspension position? I've used them on full size cars (and they are expensive) but trying to think up a way to make them RC sized and RC priced seems like a big challenge.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i used pots and servo horns. No real need for linear sensors.
Old 04-05-2009, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

i have a couple of 8051 dev boards here, i need to find a suitable serial eeprom and some time to fail twice then succeed the on the third..
Old 04-06-2009, 03:58 PM
arj
Tech Rookie

Is there any way to modify it ( or by interpreting the data) to get lap times out if it? For me that is the real test of performance and when I'm at the track (other than race nights) I get no data on this.

If Novak added some low cost way to add lap times then I'd buy it in an instant.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Novak - Is the Novak Sentry Data Logger discontinued? And, is it being replaced with a new model?

Seems we have found a good need for them with the latest generation of Speedo/ESC software. It will be ashame if these are discontinued.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kn7671
Novak - Is the Novak Sentry Data Logger discontinued? And, is it being replaced with a new model?

Seems we have found a good need for them with the latest generation of Speedo/ESC software. It will be ashame if these are discontinued.
From what I've seen the non-Pro model has been discontinued. Not sure about the Pro model. It's still available on their site.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Company Representative

We are no longer distributing the Sentry Data Logger Pro, but we still offer them in our store. We have had so many orders lately that we had to put the product on pre-order status. We are building more, so we will have them in inventory in @10days.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

was the spike in the last 5 days? sorry, your instant spike may have been due to kelly and myself. we purchase a couple and the data that your loggers provide is priceless with the new speedos and software. we have been able to shave .2-.3 a lap just using the info and re-tuning our speedos. just check out the tekin thread since this past weekend
Old 01-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by theisgroup
was the spike in the last 5 days? sorry, your instant spike may have been due to kelly and myself. we purchase a couple and the data that your loggers provide is priceless with the new speedos and software. we have been able to shave .2-.3 a lap just using the info and re-tuning our speedos. just check out the tekin thread since this past weekend
I actually solved the "mystery" Sunday---by Googling around until I located the comments on this forum in the Tekin thread.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theisgroup
Some "Old Guy" started the purchasing several weeks ago around here and was running it prior to having V203 / 1 cell Mamba's in hand.

Everyone around was interested in the info for both onroad and really interested for OVAL!!!

Great little product Novak!!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Master

I bought one from their website 2 weeks ago. And its still listed there today. It wasn't one of their biggest seller but now its only $50 I had to pick one up.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I threw together a log viewer to give me higher fidelity and a little easier browsing of log data. Teaser shots attached.

It shows the min/max for each graph line in the upper left. The white cursor shows the time in white, and current values for each line next to the cursor. Right Click + drag scrolls left and right. Mouse wheel zooms. So it's WAY easier to navigate than the sentry software.

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Novak Sentry Data Logger-wholelog.png   Novak Sentry Data Logger-threelaps.png  
Old 01-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
I threw together a log viewer to give me higher fidelity and a little easier browsing of log data. Teaser shots attached.

It shows the min/max for each graph line in the upper left. The white cursor shows the time in white, and current values for each line next to the cursor. Right Click + drag scrolls left and right. Mouse wheel zooms. So it's WAY easier to navigate than the sentry software.

-Mike
Where did you get the log viewer from? thanks
Old 01-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjc168
Where did you get the log viewer from? thanks
I wrote it last night. It's all straight C#, no funky requirements. It needs a bit more work before I want to share it with anyone (the path to the file to load is hard-coded), but send me an email through the board if you're interested.

There's a few tweaks I want to do with the drawing. Right now, for each graph line, the min value is mapped to the bottom of the window, and the max value is mapped to the top of the window. Unfortunately, that puts 0 in a different, non-labelled place for each graph line. I think I want to try drawing a 0 line, and mapping all data so that 0 is at the same place. For things like the accellerometer data, throttle (if you use brakes), and delta speed/RPM, I think that would make it more readable.

Also, if anyone has any interesting ideas for ways to analyze data, I'd like to hear it. The first obvious one I want to do is allow a range selection, where it'll show you the elapsed time for the selection, and the data values for each end of it. But being able to calculate some more information off the selection, like average RPMs, average throttle, time spent at full throttle, that sort of thing... Could be useful.

I also want some configurabable data adjustments, and calculated fields. Throwing out bad values that skew the min/max range makes the graph more readable. Calculating speed based off FDR and tire diameter, or rollout, is an obvious one. Some parameters for calibrating the throttle input would be nice. The accellerometers also tend to be a bit off on their 0 points, due to having the Sentry mounted a little crooked. Delta RPM hasn't looked very useful so far, but delta speed with some smoothing might be more useful..

For motor tuning, the most useful view I can think of would be to make a table where each row is like 10% of the range of throttle values, and each column is 1mph or something. Then for each data sample that falls with a given cell, add that sample to an average for that cell. This would be calculated for a whole log, or a portion of it. Then when you make gearing / timing changes, you could take another table, and then compare to previous runs. You could see if you're accellerating harder in some parts, and less in others, or whether it's better / worse everywhere.

Oh well, I've probably said too much now, since it'll take a while to write all that stuff.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2010, 12:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hi guys, i have a problem with my new Novak senty Pro.
I think it's a software problem, I'll explain.
Carry out the procedure to load data from the sentry to the PC. The data is saved correctly on the PC, but when I go to open it tells me "Unable to load files".
I do not understand why and I have not found anyone with my problem.
My PC is a notebook with windows 7.
Any suggestions?

Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.