Wiki Posts
Search

2wd vs 4wd On Road Cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Actually they are 1/10 scale models of real smaller cars.
yep that's true.

the m-class tamiyas are 1:1 scale of all the smaller real cars. such as mini coopers, alpha romao, older porsche 911, and the clk.

they base them on wheelbase

fwd m01 mini cooper, fiat, ect

rwd m02 fiat abarth 1000

rwd m02m alfa romeo giulia

fwd m03 old mini cooper

fwd m03l new mini cooper

rwd m04m alfa romeo giulia

anyone wanna add to the list or correct it?

tamiya m-class is badass because their mini cars that use reguler TC cells and 540 size motors and regurler servos.

"its a mini with big power"
Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

although two wheel drive they still use a gear box thus they are slower then a direct drive 2wd car. You want weight in the back so a four wheel drive car set up as a two wheel drive car will drive like shit. Couse it has a 50-50 weight ballance prox.

Propperly set up, the direct drive cars can just about beat anything. Even 1/8 four wheel drive gas cars.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I tried it, built an old Mi2 i had as a 2wd TC. It was ok running indoors on carpet with foam tyres (no additive), the car was a bit of a handfull to drive with a 19t and older 3700 cells, 27t stock might of been a bit easier. Plenty of go when you asked for it but you had to be gentle even with foams, the car still had alot of steering despite the lack of weight up front.

I was originally trying to get it to work on rubber tyres but that proving very difficult. It was about 3/4 laps of the pace on foams compared to 4WD with 19t's. I wouldnt like to guess how hard it would be to drive outside with rubber tyres. I still like the idea and it certainly would reign in alot of the power we have available these days (too much) but i think it would take a big re-design and plenty of r&d from the manifacturers to give us something of the shelf that works. Not just a case of removing the front belt, driveshafts and diff like i did.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 2wdrive
although two wheel drive they still use a gear box thus they are slower then a direct drive 2wd car. You want weight in the back so a four wheel drive car set up as a two wheel drive car will drive like shit. Couse it has a 50-50 weight ballance prox.

Propperly set up, the direct drive cars can just about beat anything. Even 1/8 four wheel drive gas cars.
but pan cars aren't four wheel independent wishbone suspension. m-class make it very easy to hook up on any track (rwd). and there scale. pan cars aren't scale =]

I'm not bashing pan cars but not everyone has a high traction track around and not a lot of people have carpet tracks. and with out proper tires and additives on the tires the car wouldn't hook up.

yes pan cars are super fast and they take a lot of skills when running a hot motor on high traction but speed isn't everything =]

but over all just to close my case. 4WD TC's , Tamiya m-class, and pan cars. there all different. CANNOT compare them with eachother. unless you wanna compare a pinto to a le mans race car

rcgt!
Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Hi can anybody tell me if tamiya release again the Fiat 600 Abarth?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Are you guys just too young, too new to rc or just getting old and losing your memory? to remember the 235 Lola nitro cars, A la the Trinity and Serpent cars? If I'm not mistaken, Those were rear belt driven with a solid rear axle and helped develope the front one-ways that are highly used today in 4WD. They kind of died out around '99 or 2000. The touring class made it more feasable for more people to participate due to lower cost. Now it seems like Kawahara and Knack racing are try to bring that class back via conversion kit for the touring cars.

See nitro thread here and old reveiw of Serpent Impact2 here

If you are not including nitro in this thread, then disregard everything I said.

Last edited by Kyo83; 04-27-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (73%+)

Originally Posted by Foxxrocket
Why not just buy a shaft car and remove the shaft? Then you'll have a RWD car.
LOL I had a Redcat Lightning Nitro that I had lost one of my front dogbones on and had to run my local race with only rear wheel drive. If you know how to drive a RWD car it can be just as potent as a 4WD even against 4WD competitors.

For example that race I finished 3rd in a field of 7!
Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Kyo83
Are you guys just too young, too new to rc or just getting old and losing your memory? to remember the 235 Lola nitro cars, A la the Trinity and Serpent cars? If I'm not mistaken, Those were rear belt driven with a solid rear axle and helped develope the front one-ways that are highly used today. They kind of died out around '99 or 2000. The touring class made it more feasable for more people to participate due to lower cost. Now it seems like Kawahara and Knack racing are try to bring that class back via conversion kit for the touring cars.

See nitro thread here

If you are not including nitro in this thread, then disregard everything I said.
I had an old BMT 2wd nitro car I used to race
Old 04-27-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Hyde
but pan cars aren't four wheel independent wishbone suspension. m-class make it very easy to hook up on any track (rwd). and there scale. pan cars aren't scale =]
True most aren't all that scale...but the F103GT is!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

im still trying to figure out why our cars are so far out of scale.. especially the tires and wheels....
Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kyo83
Are you guys just too young, too new to rc or just getting old and losing your memory? to remember the 235 Lola nitro cars, A la the Trinity and Serpent cars? If I'm not mistaken, Those were rear belt driven with a solid rear axle and helped develope the front one-ways that are highly used today in 4WD..
They used a solid diff ("spool"). The rear end was independent suspension. Pan cars are a straight axle suspension.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I used to have a Tamiya M04 fitted with TL01 arms making it a short wheelbase TC. Dang, that car was a lot of fun to drive! If tamiya would release an "M06" or something similar, I'd probably get one and do the same mod. I'm a 2wd nut!

I ran my F103GT with foam tires a few weeks back on the track and I could keep up with 23T TC runners even if I only used the silvercan motor.