Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Sanyo 1300SCR best batt for stock touring?? >

Sanyo 1300SCR best batt for stock touring??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sanyo 1300SCR best batt for stock touring??

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:45 PM
Tech Addict

Default Sanyo 1300SCR best batt for stock touring??

Hi there.
Are the Sanyo 1300SCR Nicads still best batt for stock touring?
I think theres a 1500mAH limit in the class I want to race in.
I would have thought perhaps a nimh would have been better, nicad seem pretty old school, is there something I'm missing (weight, performance??)??
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1101
Hi there.
Are the Sanyo 1300SCR Nicads still best batt for stock touring?
I think theres a 1500mAH limit in the class I want to race in.
I would have thought perhaps a nimh would have been better, nicad seem pretty old school, is there something I'm missing (weight, performance??)??
If there is a mAH limit set at 1500mAH, you are not going to find any nimh sub C size cells that i know of. I beleive that nimh started getting popular after the sanyo 2400's with the gp 3300's, panasonic 3000's, etc. Other than that, i have no other advice. 1300's where before my time.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

It's been a long time, but I think I remember the 1400SCRC being a better cell than the 1300.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm guessing that your from NZ. I have run both 1300mah sanyo scr and 1400scr cells. I have found that the 1300's actually have better runtime to punch comparability when charged at 4.5 amps and discharged to 6v or 1v per cell. also, if you want to know anything else about stock racing have a look at my blog http://cyclone-s.blogspot.com Whilst it provides information about the cyclone s, it also provides info on most subjects to do with stock racing.

Also, a good speed controller drive frequency has a huge impact on battery runtime. I recommend an Mtroniks IP6 with the Factory Team settings.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Tech Addict

Yep, from NZ.
Ive got to ask (Im new to RC), why encourage the importing & use of nicads??
They have disposal issues, are rather old tech, not really cheap at all & its probably a matter of time before the NZ goverment bans the importing of them.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Because stock is essentially about running a class which is easy to start in. With Nicads, you can charge them off a 12v car battery using a direct connection. NB: I am not recommending this. They stand up to relative abuse that NIMH doesn't and this abuse would cause NIMH to vent.

Also, It keeps the class even. as everybody is limited by batteries which when compared are quite similar. The Abuse that we put our batteries through is quite horrendous. when you look at the recommended charge rate for a 1300mah, 130mah, and figure out that we are charging at 34 times that and then figure out that we are discharging them at about 15 amps, you realize that what ever battery you have will not last long. But NICADs do it the Best. When my father and I came back to racing, the only batteries we had were 1200mah Sanyo Nicads that were 16 years old from when my father raced originally. These had been discharged and well looked after while he was racing, but afterwards they had been sitting in an attic for 12 years and then under a damp house for another 2. We cycled these, with a slow charge rate and they came back to life. These cells then went on to last us another 8 months.

If these had been Nimh, and yes I know Nimh were not around in those days, they would be heavy paperweights.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:55 AM
Tech Champion

The Red heatshrink Sanyo 1400SCR nicads were pretty hardy cells, but I highly doubt you will find them anywhere thesedays, probably as rare as rocking horse do do!!!
Old 03-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
The Red heatshrink Sanyo 1400SCR nicads were pretty hardy cells, but I highly doubt you will find them anywhere thesedays, probably as rare as rocking horse do do!!!
Funny, I still have a pack. I didn't know people still used them!
Old 03-23-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Champion

How are you still finding cells that low in mah rating? Back when I was still race director for our local F1 spec class I had to keep raising the limit because no one carried batteries that low any longer.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Matt Smith
Because stock is essentially about running a class which is easy to start in. With Nicads, you can charge them off a 12v car battery using a direct connection. NB: I am not recommending this. They stand up to relative abuse that NIMH doesn't and this abuse would cause NIMH to vent.

Also, It keeps the class even. as everybody is limited by batteries which when compared are quite similar. The Abuse that we put our batteries through is quite horrendous. when you look at the recommended charge rate for a 1300mah, 130mah, and figure out that we are charging at 34 times that and then figure out that we are discharging them at about 15 amps, you realize that what ever battery you have will not last long. But NICADs do it the Best. When my father and I came back to racing, the only batteries we had were 1200mah Sanyo Nicads that were 16 years old from when my father raced originally. These had been discharged and well looked after while he was racing, but afterwards they had been sitting in an attic for 12 years and then under a damp house for another 2. We cycled these, with a slow charge rate and they came back to life. These cells then went on to last us another 8 months.

If these had been Nimh, and yes I know Nimh were not around in those days, they would be heavy paperweights.
Easy to start off with also means easy to find batteries...which cells that low are not going to be easy to find. As for the abuse...I'm not so sure that holds true any longer. NiMh cells these days charge at a much higher amp rate then NiCd did and stay much cooler during and after the charge process. My current NiMh cells charge at 6 amps and even charging at 8 amps stay cooler then NiCd did at 4 amps.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I know nothing about racing in NZ but when I can get matched 6 cell Ener-g 4600's for 32 USD that seem to hold up very well, take a lot of abuse and are very even from pack to pack why would I ever want to use 1300 Nicad's again? Good peak chargers are under 100 bux too. I understand the need for spec classes but this seems a bit extreme to me.