Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm using a DUO 13.5 in an X-ray 007.

Tracks:
rough pavement 100'x70'
carpet 60'x70'.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

I have one of these motors and am very impressed with it, so have bought another one, but what I would like to know is, what would I benefit from moving the timing from factory to the furthest hole round, does it give me more revs, or more grunt, in other words, if on a large flowing track do I leave it stock, or would I benefit moving the end bell to the next mark and so on?
Cheers Malc TCCCFM

Originally Posted by kn7671
Why do you need to know the "built-in" timing?

I don't think having this info will help with setup much, as it will probably vary across motor to motor so much, that it won't be a consistent enough number to base anything on. Just know that almost all brushless motors have factory advance timing built-in, between 20-40deg.

On the LRP X-11 Stock Spec for example, I was told by Reto at LRP that the stock base timing is 40-deg! The adjustment on the LRP X-11 motor allows an additional 0-deg to 19-deg timing for a max mechanical timing of 59-deg!! Now I don't know about you, but knowing that base 40-deg timing doesn't help me figure much out.

There are also so many people running this motor that we have DUO setup tips galore. Follow the tips from others with the DUO, and enjoy going fast.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

http://www.teamepiconline.com/shop/i...p?item=TEP1001
Old 07-20-2009, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheCoolCanFanMan
I have one of these motors and am very impressed with it, so have bought another one, but what I would like to know is, what would I benefit from moving the timing from factory to the furthest hole round, does it give me more revs, or more grunt, in other words, if on a large flowing track do I leave it stock, or would I benefit moving the end bell to the next mark and so on?
Cheers Malc TCCCFM
Hi Malc, here is what I have found. If you where to advance the timing to the third hole (or 20* advance timing if we assume that the first hole is 0*, 2nd hole is 10* and 3rd hole is 20*), now this does not mean 20* total timing but a additional 20* added to a unknown built in setting. In any matter going to the third hole will give you more RPMs. From what I've seen on the dyno this is still a safe advance, although the motors I have played with seem to show that at about 18* and up is when the efficency starts to drop off on the motors.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:34 PM
Tech Master

Hi JW
So if I leave the gearing wear it is, and turn it by 1 hole (say 10 degrees) then would rev more, so why don't I gear it up by 1 pinion, what would the difference be? Hope this makes sense
Cheers Malc TCCFM
ps
Have you tried the Duo 2?
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hi Malc, here is what I have found. If you where to advance the timing to the third hole (or 20* advance timing if we assume that the first hole is 0*, 2nd hole is 10* and 3rd hole is 20*), now this does not mean 20* total timing but a additional 20* added to a unknown built in setting. In any matter going to the third hole will give you more RPMs. From what I've seen on the dyno this is still a safe advance, although the motors I have played with seem to show that at about 18* and up is when the efficency starts to drop off on the motors.

Last edited by TheCoolCanFanMan; 07-20-2009 at 03:57 PM.