Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Anyone tried Susumu workshop carbon fibre parts? >

Anyone tried Susumu workshop carbon fibre parts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By Marcos.J
  • 2 Post By belewis01
  • 1 Post By 1/8 IC Fan
  • 1 Post By Dan
  • 2 Post By GT CRUSING

Anyone tried Susumu workshop carbon fibre parts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 07:45 PM
Tech Adept

Default Anyone tried Susumu workshop carbon fibre parts?

Was browsing rcmart and saw all these unbelievably cheap carbon fibre parts by Susumu workshop. Has anyone tried these? Their Xray X1 deck is 3 times cheaper than the genuine Xray part (I'm aware Xray is overpriced). I couldn't find many reviews, and it seems a bit too good to be true.
Old 09-29-2019, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally Posted by herrokero
Was browsing rcmart and saw all these unbelievably cheap carbon fibre parts by Susumu workshop. Has anyone tried these? Their Xray X1 deck is 3 times cheaper than the genuine Xray part (I'm aware Xray is overpriced). I couldn't find many reviews, and it seems a bit too good to be true.
you get what you pay for
OVA and skater-deez1 like this.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'm always leery of cheap carbon fiber - it could easily be 2 layers of actual carbon on the outside layers with 5 or 6 layers of cheap glass cloth on the inside.

Real carbon cloth costs $40 - $50 per yard, glass costs $8 - $15 per yard.
MikeR and gigaplex like this.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Stay away, their carbon quality is low end at its best. Akin to laminating over a G10 core. Their carbon has lamination issues i.e. voids and incorrect lay patterns. It is highly prone to tweak as well. Save your money. We had a local try their BD9 topdeck, and its finish should have been a dead giveaway. Its not premium quality, and was not a perfect match for the OEM item.
herrokero likes this.
Old 09-29-2019, 07:11 PM
Tech Rookie

I bought battery holders for my XQ1S because I didn't want to tape and they were cheap.That being said they are not a chassis or suspension part. They just gotta keep the battery from flying out. They seem like they are up to that task.
Old 09-29-2019, 08:22 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I have the Susumu chassis for my Xpress XM1S mini 4WD (bought for long wheelbase conversion). Its basically fiberglass for the most part.
herrokero likes this.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 AM
Tech Adept

Unbelievably cheap carbon fibre parts by Susumu workshop x 2 Don't waste your money.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:49 PM
Tech Master

Is it Japanese or s subliminal message in reverse?
Old 06-06-2020, 02:40 AM
Tech Regular

So I did buy the parts for Christmas 2019 and gave them a shot. I was skeptical at first, but after using them multiple times in the UF1 2020 Championship (Before it got grounded in March due to Covid-19), they held up just as good as the original Xray factory parts. I gotta say, this is definitely a must buy (you save yourself like 80$). The Main chassis plate is exactly the same as the original dimensions wise, but the rear pod is definitely trimmed down a lot to save a few grams of weight and adds a good amount of extra motor cooling with the larger opening. I did have some medium crashes in practice and the car held up just fine.

I did put on a custom clear protective chassis protector, so that first layer is not the carbon fiber chipped off.

You can clearly see up close that these parts are legitimate carbon fiber, not the best quality, but you do get seven layers that add up to a 2.5 thickness. Notably, the middle layer is twice the thickness of the rest.

Some light scraping on the sides due to running on a rough parking lot surface race track, but typical of what you would see for asphalt racing.

Overall, my satisfaction on this part is a 5 out of 5 stars
herrokero and Pedmar007 like this.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Northernbob
I bought battery holders for my XQ1S because I didn't want to tape and they were cheap.That being said they are not a chassis or suspension part. They just gotta keep the battery from flying out. They seem like they are up to that task.
same here with the battery holders. They have done a fantastic job not breaking as my xq1s has gone barreling into the bleachers full speed at the end of the straight with a 7600mah LiPo