R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2009, 10:22 AM   #31
Tech Adept

There aren't many places to discuss my philosophy of "time." I think someone might appreciate it here.

I had a Fuzzy Logic and Neural Networks professor in Grad school who said knowledge is just putting more neurons on a problem, this increases the granularity and you see more refined patterns. For example, snow flakes are all the same until you start to study the infinite variety, then more patterns emerge. You become a snowflake pattern recognition expert.

My theory is that a race car driver (traction control computer) puts more neurons on the traction problem, and it is as if this expert has "more time." I have had this in life-and-death scenarios riding my (now defunct) Black-n-Blue Honda Nighthawk S in LA traffic. A few times I would have to take quick action before an impending collision, and a bad reaction would be lethal. Then my body would hit "The Zone" and it would be as if my life were not in danger, and I would have all the reaction time in the world. This would go in a split-second. If you've ever been knocked-out, time goes wierd there too.
I think the special effects guys sometimes do a good job of handling this psychology in the movies.

Anyway I can't expand time in normal driving, haven't put in that much practice. But my old dirt bike instincts would kick into high gear whenever my life was threatened on the street bike, and my perception of time would change. Once or twice I could do this in a motorcross race, and frequently I could do it in my dreams ...
SystemTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:30 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Wingracer convinced me in this thread that I have much to learn about race car vehicle dynamics. Since this discussion related to the scale down of 1:1 to 1:N, N > 1, I am posting up a book reference mentioned on another thread that appears to be a great resource.

Race Car Vehicle Dynamics

This page reveals the general approach to engineering simulations:

1. tire model
2. lateral and longitudinal acceleration
3. lap time simulation
4. vehicle dynamics simulation (transition handling)

My own interest is to greatly simplify these ideas for PC simulation to support teachers in technology classrooms, and to perhaps deliver the same tools to help newbies or experienced RC racers get "good enough" engineering simulations to improve their driveline optimization knowledge and track tuning process.

Last edited by SystemTheory; 03-21-2009 at 11:50 AM. Reason: spelling
SystemTheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #33
Tech Lord
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I haven't read their books but I have read quite a few excellent ones from other authors. One thing to watch out for, every set-up book I have ever read has had at least one thing in it that was either wrong or may have been right for a certain application but not for others. Despite all the science and engineering involved there are some things that are still a bit of an art.

I mention this because I cannot tell you how many times I've seen certain racers struggling with a car and known what adjustment it needed to be better. I tell them what to change but they refuse to listen because their way is "supposed" to be better. Even if I force them to make the change and they improve tremendously they still come to the track next week with it changed back. Vehicle dynamics and set-up guides are great tools and provide a wealth of knowledge but they are not gospel. If the stopwatch tells a different story, go with it.
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote