Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Does Top make a 2 & 6 castor block? If not is any one using the Xray blocks and if so what parts are needed to make it work.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Only a 4 degree atm. There's a parts list around here some where. I'm sure someone will chime in soon enough. You need the xray caster blocks and bushings if I remember right.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:23 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcfiend
Does Top make a 2 & 6 castor block? If not is any one using the Xray blocks and if so what parts are needed to make it work.
Check my photon wiki (in my sig). I don't have the 2 degree pn so use nexusracing to find it
Old 03-19-2011, 09:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Thanks for the info guys. Hanulec I'll check your wiki.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Anyone know if you can buy the u-pro red gear dif spacers or anything like them. I lost one and don't want to use 20 shims unless I have 2. I'm not sure on the width but I'm thinking it's 2mm or 2.5mm.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Ok guys . I'm about to pull my hair out. 8months ago or so . I did some training and acquired 2 used ("lightly I was told") u-pro gear difs. 3months ago I striped one . Pulled it apart and cleaned it out, a gear had broke a tooth. And attempted to put it back together with no luck so I chucked it.

So last night I pulled my gear diff apart to change fluid,it was dry and worked fine just not smooth as I would have liked. Put 10,000 at in it to experiment. As I realigned The 2 halves back together and tightened the screws the mesh got so tight I could not rotate a outlive. And after 20 attempts to reassemble and tighten down screws. I also tried reshiming it several times as well and still it locks up as the 2 halves seat . I'm a experienced racer and do hours of work to my car before each race but 2 hours one 1 gear diff? I can build 3 flawless ball difs in this time. What did I, or could be the problem?
Old 03-19-2011, 04:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Here's a couple of ideas. If you overfill the diff, it will lock. If the gears aren't lined up correctly, it will lock. Make sure that both outdrives spin freely before final assembly. As you tighten the four screws, begin to rotate it as it tightens down. Tighten all four screws a few turns and spin the diff. Tighten a few turns and spin the diff. Keep doing it until the screws are snug. Don't overtighten them or you'll crush the o-ring. I have also seen regular wear on the center pin that holds the planetary gears. Make sure that there are no burrs on the pin and check that the gears spin freely on the pin. Good luck. LMK how it goes.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Did all that. But a few turns between checking it ... yea I went as far as check-in it every 1/4 turn on each screw. Lol no burns either Im only filling one side of the diff up , o even tried putin it together dry a few times with no luck. Right now it feels great with 10,000 at in it. But I had to seal the case with nail polish from the outside or else it would run out of the crack.. wonder if the case was warped in the past.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Are you positive that the gears are seating properly on the outdrive? If the case won't seat/seal properly, it will allow it to flex and strip the gears out. I would also believe that without the cases properly seated, it would cause undo stress on the larger diff bearings since the diff is now wider than expected.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jlfx car audio
Did all that. But a few turns between checking it ... yea I went as far as check-in it every 1/4 turn on each screw. Lol no burns either Im only filling one side of the diff up , o even tried putin it together dry a few times with no luck. Right now it feels great with 10,000 at in it. But I had to seal the case with nail polish from the outside or else it would run out of the crack.. wonder if the case was warped in the past.
If you haven't done the tooth paste breakin method found in the photon wiki I would do that for sure. http://www.racerlog.com/wiki/T.O.P._Photon. I rebuilt 4 of these difs the other day and it took me a WHILE before I was happy. From my understanding of the guide not all the shims are put back in.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

They are kind of a tricky thing to build, they will bind if the case goes back the wrong way, and nipping up the screws is trial and error, mine were a fine line between fluid level and being put together just right, though I have not tried the past break in yet.

I'm not actually 100% sure my rear is going to hold up to 10.5T with zero timing, after one meet with stock fill, I went to prep my Photon for the next meet and found a notch in the diff, pulled it down and some teeth were chipped, cleaned and rebuilt with 10k and it felt smooth enough to use again, but I have no idea if it was a fluke or if it will chip more teeth, though it still feels smooth enough now I have run that meet.

So possibly 17.5T of some/any sort is there real limit for being problem free, though I'll likely do a rebuild kit on the rear, put some real effort into the build, and see just how hard I can run it before it faults again.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well the the practice for nats starts in 2 days. Im getting super excited. I will try to keep the thread updated with how the "T.O.P" guys are doing. TZ is a fast track that has high traction so its going to be tuff! For those that are coming I look forward to meeting you!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
Well the the practice for nats starts in 2 days. Im getting super excited. I will try to keep the thread updated with how the "T.O.P" guys are doing. TZ is a fast track that has high traction so its going to be tuff! For those that are coming I look forward to meeting you!
I'm not sure if larry or hanulec posted their snowbirds setup but since you are running the same tires there as snowbirds I would give it a try.

Good luck
Old 03-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

μ.PRO Released

Spool Outdrive Steel (For TP-0003 Photon Spool Set)
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-mp-tp-0004.jpg  
Old 03-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

hmm , interesting modification !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.