Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
My gear diffs and repair parts showed up today, the U-Pro really is a marvel in how tiny and light it is, 'very' notchy out of the packet though, how many runs do they usually take to smooth out if you just fit and go?.

I may just use mine as is for a few runs, I'm curious to see how they work out of the pack, before I go putting the 10k and 100k I also bought to tune mine with, likely if they still feel rough I'll toothpaste them also.
When i took my uPro out of the package and built it per instructions, i wasnt happy with how it felt. I mic'd out both housing halves and wondered why they would shim it they way they did in the instructions. Ill offer up my findings for anyone willing to try them.

My wording will be per the instructions included for the rebuild of the gear diff to try and eliminate confusion. This is also for new internals and housings... used parts will have different tolerances and may cause premature failure.

Pinion Gear Hard Shim - 8x2.5 - Qty2 (one on each side)
Bearing/Housing Shim - 8x6.5x0.2 - Qty2 (one between each bearing and housing half and NOT included in the package)
Main Gear Hard Shim - 9x5x0.2 - Qty2 (one between each main gear and internal o-ring. One 0.1 on each side may work best dependent on o-ring tolerance)

This equaled the measurements on both sides, and spaced the Main Gear Hard Shim against the inner o-ring just right. It was pressed against it... but not squeezing it. Each outdrive turned easily, but with a little drag.

In my opinion, a lot of you guys probably experience leakage here because the instructions want you to put thinner shims of smaller outer diameter between the Main Gear Hard Shim and o-ring. O-rings dont seal well against multiple surfaces like that.

Once i had it shimmed as above, i did a test assembly with some teflon impregnated silicone lube (Manufactured by SynCo) i use on all o-ring assemblies and metal to plastic surfaces in gear diffs. Each o-ring was coated before insertion, and a dab of the lube between each mating surface. This is about as 'dry' of a test fit you will get to check for gear lash before adding diff fluid.

To ease description, i had the same internal lash as a properly set 64 pitch gear set... pulling the outdrives away from each other as i turn them to simulate load. This lash also accounts room for the diff fluid to flow between the gears during use.

Once i added my 100k diff fluid, the diff was absolute butter, there was no notchiness, and no leaks.

In my opinion, from looking at various used uPro diffs, they likely leak between the two case halves because they are simply overtightened. The screws hold the housings together, the large o-ring does the sealing.

Tightening the housing screws more than that can distort the housing enough to promote leakage. I can think of 3 uPro diffs i have looked at that have indentations where the screws were simply tightened too much... both on the housing AND the pulley. All were coated in diff fluid.
Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
Well nats at TZ is coming up pretty quick are any of you guys heading there?
I am....lol
Old 02-10-2011, 01:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey all,is there a thread for the TOP rebel 1/12 scale??
Old 02-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Big Features
Hey all,is there a thread for the TOP rebel 1/12 scale??
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...2th-scale.html
Old 02-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Thanks!!
Old 02-10-2011, 06:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
Well nats at TZ is coming up pretty quick are any of you guys heading there?
oh.. wish i could.. but i'm going to be out of the country for work.

anyone want a carpet from India? or some Side Piece Racing Mira outdrives? you gotta get your requests in before I ship out March 12th
Old 02-10-2011, 08:17 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Where 's the Marco set up sheet for double gear diff?
Old 02-10-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Ok, I pulled apart one of my Micro Pro diffs to have a look, curiosity for the better of me, biggest surprise was the gears are made of metal, but now I'm refilling it with 100k oil, what level is everyone filling to?.

My best guess looking at mine, it to maybe just cover the flat gear in the deepest half?, level with the base of the screw or maybe just to the top of it?.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hanulec
oh.. wish i could.. but i'm going to be out of the country for work.

anyone want a carpet from India? or some Side Piece Racing Mira outdrives? you gotta get your requests in before I ship out March 12th
Just stay out of Vishkakapatnam and u'll be ok!

Last edited by Big Features; 02-11-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:11 AM
Tech Initiate

We developed a new setup sheet
posted on photon italian blog: trovamodellismo.com/top/?attachment_id=215
Old 02-11-2011, 08:15 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Bishop
Ok, I pulled apart one of my Micro Pro diffs to have a look, curiosity for the better of me, biggest surprise was the gears are made of metal, but now I'm refilling it with 100k oil, what level is everyone filling to?.

My best guess looking at mine, it to maybe just cover the flat gear in the deepest half?, level with the base of the screw or maybe just to the top of it?.
I didnt know either so i texted Stiltskin and he walked me through it...

I filled mine level with the housing on both sides. I turned the gears a little and let it sit so the fluid had a chance to settle in/level out. I lost very little fluid when i assembled it.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
I filled mine level with the housing on both sides. I turned the gears a little and let it sit so the fluid had a chance to settle in/level out. I lost very little fluid when i assembled it.
That is a large fill compared to how they come, when I opened mine up I was surprised to find they don't have much in them, but I guess more fluid also means a stiffer action, so more with the tuning, right now I only put a half fill in, and even with 100k it feels light, so I'll certainly put more in now.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:36 AM
Tech Elite

I can imagine the amount of fluid making a tuning difference. Mine didnt have a lot in it at first either. I texted pix to Stiltskin during the filling process, to give me an idea of where to start. I have to say im very happy with it thus far. Ill have to try it with less fluid... but its so good i dont wanna touch it. haha

Mine is definitely not light though. Driving, it feels very close to a spool, but without the continued turn in at corner exit like a spool. It also has more turn in coming into the corner than a spool, but more stable and predictable than a ball diff off power.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM
Tech Champion

Well I kept resisting because the majority of cars at our track are Photons...but after getting really frustrated with my car and driving a friend's Photon...I bought his Photon
Old 02-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by InspGadgt
Well I kept resisting because the majority of cars at our track are Photons...but after getting really frustrated with my car and driving a friend's Photon...I bought his Photon
Did "big features" have anything to do with it? i know he lives and races in Hawaii...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.