Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
and four or fifth (depends who you talk to..) in 17.5T Stock Spec was Ron "The Goat" Goetter

Jason and Larry were in the A-main of 17.5 Super Stock but blew out in the A-main.
So we have 3 in the "A" for both classes then. Nice!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

So I have been working really hard to get a good set up on my car, and we have a NWIC series race this weekend. They are pretty big local races for our area and there are a lot of fast drivers. For some reason I will go practice, and get my car to where it feels really good. My buddy will come out with his T3 11 (X-Ray Team driver as well) and he will be continuously 2-3 tenths faster. I cannot get my car to carry the corner speed for the life of me. Last night at a club race was the fastest I have got it so far and I’m scrubbing the crap out of the chassis. I will ask my friend for help and he just tells me to buy an X-ray LOL. Anyone have any suggestions.

Springs are 306 -344

Rear sway bar only 1.6 (gained over tenth by taking off the front)

I just changed to Low blocks in front with medium in rear the car seemed to dive in better but will push mid corner

Camber is about 2.5 all the way around. Planned on taking camber out as traction comes up.

About 2.5mill of up travel front and rear.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:02 AM
pmc
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris
So I have been working really hard to get a good set up on my car, and we have a NWIC series race this weekend. They are pretty big local races for our area and there are a lot of fast drivers. For some reason I will go practice, and get my car to where it feels really good. My buddy will come out with his T3 11 (X-Ray Team driver as well) and he will be continuously 2-3 tenths faster. I cannot get my car to carry the corner speed for the life of me. Last night at a club race was the fastest I have got it so far and I’m scrubbing the crap out of the chassis. I will ask my friend for help and he just tells me to buy an X-ray LOL. Anyone have any suggestions.

Springs are 306 -344

I just changed to Low blocks in front with medium in rear the car seemed to dive in better but will push mid corner

Camber is about 2.5 all the way around. Planned on taking camber out as traction comes up.

Hello

what is the surface carpet or asphalt??

You and your partner have the same esc and motor??

Only lose time in the rotation curve??

Best regards:
Pedro silva
Old 12-01-2010, 07:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Springs are 306 -344

To me nothing about that setup sounds right so you might want to rethink your whole setup. Running a higher rear roll center than the front and only rear swaybar means you are way off IMO.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:13 AM
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Larry,

How different was you setup from the US Indoor race from the one you posted here a few weeks ago ?

Thanks,
Jim Piersol
Old 12-01-2010, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jrp
Larry,

How different was you setup from the US Indoor race from the one you posted here a few weeks ago ?

Thanks,
Jim Piersol
It was identical, Jason, Ron and myself all ran that exact setup except with 1.75 front camber instead of 2 and we pretty much only sauced 1/2 of the front tire.

Other than that it was exactly the same as the setup posted.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hello

what is the surface carpet or asphalt??

You and your partner have the same esc and motor??

Only lose time in the rotation curve??
Carpet.
Same ESC. I know he has more motor than I do.. I have some power coming my way which should help a little.

To me nothing about that setup sounds right so you might want to rethink your whole setup. Running a higher rear roll center than the front and only rear swaybar means you are way off IMO.

Yeah I know my set up seems weird but for some reason it works pretty dang good. There are a few other people running Photons in my area with (common) set ups and well.. I tend to be faster. I'm planning on going back to the same roll center all the way around. I just wanted to try it. I see a lot of X-rays like that. It made the car feel bound up mid corner.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

L. Faritrace

I looked at your set up sheet you posted I will try it and let you know how it goes.

Its well A LOT different from what I'm currently running. LOL

one question though. what does the M-L roll center in the rear do? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just my .02 on this but, I was lacking corner speed, took a chance and went to the aluminum steering knuckles. Wow, the car turns in hard, and all the way through, had to raise the front roll to mid-high and reduce camber to 1.5. What a difference.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

L. Faritrace

I looked at your set up sheet you posted I will try it and let you know how it goes.

one question though. what does the M-L roll center in the rear do? Sorry if that seems like a dumb question.
I didn't read Larry's setup sheet, but I do know he's running a little anti-squat in the back. I think it's the Medium roll center block with the cam low in the front half of the rear and the rear most roll center block is the Low with the cam in the high position.

I, personally, ran the rear with low roll center blocks with the cam in the high position. That kept the rear pins level.

Antisquat helps the car with bumpy surfaces. I shoulda put that on my car as the Champs wasn't exactly a smooth track, but it wasn't bad.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:17 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

L. Faritrace

Hi Morris
I'm using Larry farirace set up , the car roll alittle too much for my taste..
right now the hangar30 grip is very close to TZ2...
I did some changed, pushout f/r shock one hole out and put on the 1.4 f/r sway bars and 50wt. losi f/r and front 2.00 camber 2.25 camber rear.... 3.00 deg. total rear toe end
The car got ton of corner speed and drive very close to new T3 xray...according from everybody watching me...
I might go with the longer camber link f/r ..I think is will smooth out the car ...

There's something i hated about the car ,the chassis rub ,even the ride height is 5mm f/ 5.5mm rear...suck
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks for the FYI OVA hope you going make it down this weekend? It should be a fun race...the traction will be high for RC PLUS!

There are some pretty fast guys going to be racing it should be a pretty tight group in stock.

Last edited by Mr.A Morris; 12-01-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:28 AM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Thanks for the FYI OVA hope you can make it down this weekend. It should be a fun race...the traction will be high for RC PLUS!

There are some pretty fast guys going to be racing it should be a pretty tight group in stock.
Hi Morris
I wish I could .but have to work this sat.....Be aware This will be another photon driver coming back soon....
Old 12-01-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Larry/Schreff,

When running Larry's setup did you feel or notice when traction was low that the rear end was loose off-power? Like when coming down the straight into the sweep and as you start to lift up off the throttle the rear end wanted to swing out?

Mark
Old 12-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Not really, If anything I feel like that setup pushes in the sweeper when traction is low.

The setup really works best in medium high/High traction.

I also adjust camber and saucing according to traction levels.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.