Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

2 different 2.25mm chassis is ok !
Old 06-22-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
I would have thought the softest LiPo chassis came stock in the Ltd kit, is the LiPo Ltd chassis ok for outdoor racing on a tarmac track?, fast large and fairly bumpy with what will be a 10.5T motor class.

And good news for me, just managed to sell my spare Nitro today, so I get to order a brand spanking new Photon tonight.
Because of the different surfaces and levels of grip, TOP decided to spec the medium flex (stiff) chassis with the kits. It may not be stiff enough for some surfaces and too stiff for others, but it should work pretty good on all surfaces. If you feel that you need a different flex characteristic, you have the option to buy the chassis of your choice. Congrats on your new car. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say build the car with the chassis it came with. Try to push the cars ability/setup and get each lap within a few tenths of each other. (easy to do in practice, HARD to do in quals, and even HARDER to do in the main)

Once you have achieved that consistency, feel you have tapped the potential of the car, and you are still middle of the A with your average lap time off by several tenths to theirs... then try a different chassis.

Trust me, you really dont need to have all the newest and greatest parts to be competitive. You only need them if you want to guarantee consistent winning.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Just finished my ltd. ed. build. I switched back to the 6 cell chassis, the lipo unit is just way too stiff for low grip IMO. Bummer cause I had the belts flipped to get electrics on center, had to change them back.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Well at least in america everyone is now racing on rubber tires, if we were still racing foam stiff is where its at Rubber tires on high grip carpet stilll require almost foam like chassis too.
We still race on foams up here in Minnesota so we are running the foam version of the car. It works quite well!
Old 06-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by haywood
We still race on foams up here in Minnesota so we are running the foam version of the car. It works quite well!
There is one track who still gets a class locally, but in the "big picture" races I don't think there will be any foam other than 1/12 this year. It's a shame I liked foam alot.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
Once you have achieved that consistency, feel you have tapped the potential of the car, and you are still middle of the A with your average lap time off by several tenths to theirs... then try a different chassis.
So in other words, I'll probably 'never' need to worry about having to change chassis.

But seriously I have been focusing on my consistency with the Nitro since I started 8+ months ago, I'm hoping the Electric (on rubber) won't be any harder to learn, although some of the gearing stuff is currently doing my head in.

I get quite disturbed seeing guys selling on road electric kits saying they can't get the hang of it, but to be fair I see guys sell off Nitro for the same reason.

And my Photon did get ordered last night, so with any luck I'll have it within a week, then it's just a case of buying the running parts, and figuring out the setups, may get it on track in 2-3 weeks, but that feels ages away now I say it.
Old 06-23-2010, 06:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

So in other words, I'll probably 'never' need to worry about having to change chassis.

But seriously I have been focusing on my consistency with the Nitro since I started 8+ months ago, I'm hoping the Electric (on rubber) won't be any harder to learn, although some of the gearing stuff is currently doing my head in.

I get quite disturbed seeing guys selling on road electric kits saying they can't get the hang of it, but to be fair I see guys sell off Nitro for the same reason.

And my Photon did get ordered last night, so with any luck I'll have it within a week, then it's just a case of buying the running parts, and figuring out the setups, may get it on track in 2-3 weeks, but that feels ages away now I say it.
Honestly saying that you won't notice a difference isn't true. If your surface is low to mid traction you will notice a difference at any skill level, stiffer chassis will be less forgiving and will result in less consistent driving. If your on med-high traction, it will be a small difference between a med flex to low flex chassis, you will likely notice it as a overall lack of grip, there are times when this can work to your advantage.
I only have the 6 cell chassis for the photon, but I have been swapping chassis on my schumacher a lot, I usually like the feel of the chassis with the most flex, one race though I actually got to a point where it wanted to lift if I even touched a curb though, which was not good. I have been using the softer bottom plate with a harder top deck for a good balance.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Electric is easier for me vs nitro. So fewer mechanical issues to deal with. But i have had more problems in electric over the past three months than i have combined since i started racing back in 94. It seems current technology isnt without its headaches. But when its working right, ohhh is it ohh soo right! lol

Take your time with the car... slow on the bench is fast on the track.

Originally Posted by MikeXray
Honestly saying that you won't notice a difference isn't true. If your surface is low to mid traction you will notice a difference at any skill level...
Agreed. Most people would notice a difference. But at the same hand, why throw $ at something that you really dont need? I mean if you have it try it... but so many people get caught up throwing $$ at the hobby, because people tell them they need to have this and that, that they end up forgetting that stick time is the best hop-up.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DaveW
I would say build the car with the chassis it came with. Try to push the cars ability/setup and get each lap within a few tenths of each other. (easy to do in practice, HARD to do in quals, and even HARDER to do in the main)

Trust me, you really dont need to have all the newest and greatest parts to be competitive. You only need them if you want to guarantee consistent winning.
Best post I've read in ages.

Regularly down to 0.4 in the quals but cannot get my head straight in the mains. Problem exists between floor and transmitter lol
Old 06-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Trying out different rides at present after many months on Mi4LP. Looking to master set up and preparation skills in order to make the most consistent handling car I can.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by hana166
Trying out different rides at present after many months on Mi4LP. Looking to master set up and preparation skills in order to make the most consistent handling car I can.
forget that carpet racing nonsense Get outdoors hehe
Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 171 (100%+)

RC Market anything with the gear diffs.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Who is making the gear diff, and when is it suppose to be available?
Old 06-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Who need a lightest weight spur gear ?? XENON

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.