R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 AM   #1411
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER

fairtrace ygpm
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #1412
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by razzor View Post
There was mention that the Scythe oneway worked.
The Scythe oneway will work to an extent. It will need a 40 tooth pulley. The TC5 one bolts right now. It also needs a lot of shimming to take up the slop between the bulkheads.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:14 AM   #1413
mk2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to mk2

yok bd5 oneway fits so do the belts
EXPRESS MOTORSPORTS
RADIOPOST USA.
mk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #1414
Tech Master

Wow, I go race for a day and spend a day off and the thread has gone a bunch of pages and I have to try and catch up on everything here...

Shocks - I haven't seen any leak from the top but I have from the bottom. Usually it's within the first days of running the car as the o-rings haven't expanded enough yet. With a lot of shocks, they make the fit perfect from the start and you have to constantly change the o-rings to keep the shocks working well (which makes a big difference for traction). We made them probably a bit too perfect and they will slightly leak oil before the o-rings have time to swell. After they swell a little, then they are great and should not have any leaking and will not require changing in order to keep maximum performance from the shocks.

I saw Craig's comment about using TRF shocks. Keep in mind that our bladder is much softer and doesn't have the same compression/rebound as other shocks out there. We can make ours much more "dead" and/or tune the rebound with foam in the shock caps (coming soon). At the Reedy Race, I used the standard TOP foam inserts (yes I know they are a little small) in the caps and here is how I built my shocks:

Fill with oil, making sure to get air bubbles out. Then push the shock shaft up and measure from the top of the ball cup to the bottom of the shock (small red cap) and it should be 6mm. From here, tap the bladder into the shock and work it down until the base of the bladder is as flat as possible. Then put the top ball cup/cap on and away you go. I tested 4, 5, 6, 7, 8mm's on this lenght at the Reedy and I prefered 6mm the best. I'm sure this will change from track to track.

Servo Mounting - Most large servos are 49-51mm hole pattern depending on the mfg. Most people don't use the servo grommets so there is always plenty of room to accomidate a .5mm tolerance on each side so the chassis is drilled to 50mm hole pattern for the servo. There is also the hole pattern for the smaller 1/12 servo as I used at the Reedy Race at a 43mm span.

Beserco - What's the problem with the finish on the shocks?? It's a hard anodize like most and I think only 2 companies out there have a nicer hard anodize finish.... Keep in mind - the shock bladder is softer than others so it's a little bit difficult to compress it a ton without deformation to keep the caps from spinning. I've had Kyosho's, Tamiya's, TOP's and other companies do the same thing so I don't think it's really that big of a deal but I know no matter what we do there will always be something to complain about from someone...lol.. It is a race car that we all want the maximum out of at the best price possible....lol...
Old 07-14-2009, 11:32 AM   #1415
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to John St.Amant Send a message via MSN to John St.Amant Send a message via Yahoo to John St.Amant

I would only complain if the shocks were plastic.
John St.Amant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:33 AM   #1416
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesbaldry View Post
Thanks Luke you may well be right...but I always drop some oil in the shock botom cap during building,perhaps they just need time to swell??...how about issues with chassis bow/tweak "belt tension"??...I do like to run my belts quite loose to get the best from the transmision (pro stock) to the point of nearly slipping under hard braking..the bow tweak that I am experiencing is causing the belt to slip under hard braking towards the end of a heat,especialy if I have "clattered" a few apex's a bit hard
I understand that you are trying to make the transmission as free as possible but keep in mind that you are probably hurting yourself. At top end rpms, running the belts too loose will cause them to bounce all over the place and really make the transmission actually bind up. Loose belts = good punch off the corner but they make for terrible top speed (to a point). The belts should have a maximum of 4mm deflection (from relaxed position to pushing on them with firm tension). Anything more than this will actually cost you top speed and run time.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #1417
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone View Post
Just wondering if there have been any issues with any certain bodies not mounting up on this chassis, with the forward front shock mount the way it is?
I worried about this at first and that's why the shocks are as short as possible and the tower is actually low compared to other cars out there. With rubber tires and regulation roof heights you will have no troubles. With foam tires and most bodies that are out again we have no trouble making the spec limits and can still go 2-3mm under. We can't quite slam the bodies like some other cars though but given the rules that we all normally race under it's not a problem.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #1418
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Maybe I'm crazy, but my TOP bladders felt quite a bit harder than TRF. I'll check again when I'm home.

As always, thanks for the great explanation Josh.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:43 AM   #1419
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender View Post
I had another eventful race with mine on the weekend - started to get the handling sorted out a bit but I've still got a few issues with the car.

For some reason I just can't get the diff tight enough. On the bench it is virtually impossible to slip but in the car you notice it slipping at the start and out of hairpins. This is causing me a fair bit of trouble in the race as even on the front row I'm getting swamped by cars before the first turn, and usually end up being punted into the pipes, which brings me to the second problem.....

The car tweaks so easily - a tiny tap from another car or clipping a pipe and the car wont go straight for the rest of the race, and when you check it in the pits the front belt has gone super loose from the tweak.

I dont think the tiny c/f "wings" support the ends of the chassis well enough - it really looks like the car needs an upper plate that incorporates the inner camber mounts and bolts to the middle bulkhead. When you compress the suspension you actually see the bulkhead deflecting in slightly from the movement of the suspension

It's a bit frustrating to be having these issues whilst most people are raving about the car
From your posts I actually wonder about your tires and additive you are using?? Previously you complained about the lack of steering into the corner and forward traction exiting but yet all of us have found the car to have much more grip than our past cars. Again, you speak about no acceleration from corner and off the line so I'm just curious.... As far as the car not going straight - 99% of the time this is the result of damage to the front spool cups or universals. If you are running on a surface that is really low traction you may want to try a differential. This may help with your traction and also the car going straight (if you are damaging the spool cups).

As far as deflection from the bulkheads under suspension compression - I used foam tires with 30-32lbs springs and much thinner bulkheads in prototyping and did not see any deflection when we measured and compressed everything (yes, I worried about it and checked it).
Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 AM   #1420
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

EJ.. you got a very important email
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #1421
Tech Master

The rubber should be close to the same but I think it's slightly softer. The design has a much larger/flatter bottom that is a ton softer when it comes to generating the compression/rebound pressure.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:51 AM   #1422
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
The rubber should be close to the same but I think it's slightly softer. The design has a much larger/flatter bottom that is a ton softer when it comes to generating the compression/rebound pressure.
Yeah, that definitely makes sense. I didn't feel like I had to vent the shock caps to keep the rebound in check like with TRF.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:57 PM   #1423
Tech Master

Jag88 - I see you checking in on us...lol.. What time does MSI open tommorow?? I will be there!!
Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM   #1424
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Jag88 - I see you checking in on us...lol.. What time does MSI open tommorow?? I will be there!!

Yea, just lookin' .........

I think they open at noon. Racing starts at 7 pm (2 and a main).
I haven't missed a Wednesday all summer but I won't be there tomorrow ..damnit !!
Put a 13.5 in and put on some Jaco blues and show Dave the fast way around ....
Andy Vetor (from Canada) and James are quick also ....
I hope you'll be coming out again.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:37 PM   #1425
Tech Master

Josh, is it imperative to have foam inserts in the bladders? By doing so, are you looking for a more positive rebound and less bladder deformation?
Also can you tell me how much shock rebound you like to use in certain conditions?

The cars will be put through a good test this weekend, at the Xray Challenge in Portland, Oregon. Gotta run the Jaco blues in the 13.5 class and Sorex in the Mod, any tire prep tips, for a VHT sprayed surface?
I got a feeling after this weekend you're going to be getting some more kit orders. Thus far the car has exceeded all expectations. Keep up the good work.