Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Same for Futaba.
my ACE servo fit just fine. I had to add a small washer to move the servo out so the the saver cleared.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by bender

The car tweaks so easily - a tiny tap from another car or clipping a pipe and the car wont go straight for the rest of the race, and when you check it in the pits the front belt has gone super loose from the tweak.
(
Hi all,firstly I must admit Im very impressed with this car,it drove like a dream first time out (kit set up) superb corner speed with a nice balanced "feel"..even on my bumpy technical home track here in the UK "lots of Moguls"

But! two small issues slightly disapointed me..One as bender wrote (Sorry small smile here "bender " has another meaning here in the UK ).No offence ment Jason!!! The bow/tweak does affect the belt tension quite a bit...Are we the only ones to of experienced this???...tweaking is the reason why I changed from the Scythe to another make some while back....Two,two of my shocks leaked badly after only two runs,no shaft "nicks" or poor seals were found,another club mate found exactly the same probs with his Photon...are we alone or is it the British climate???....Cheers Les

Last edited by lesbaldry; 07-13-2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Addict

Hi les

I had that issue a little bit, but nothing major, rebuild the shocks and soak the o rings in a little oil for a few mins.

Becuase when then come in the kit they are dry, they need a little oil to expand and make a tight seal.

Let me know how it goes after you've tried this :-)

Luke
Old 07-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Luke Hobson
Hi les

I had that issue a little bit, but nothing major, rebuild the shocks and soak the o rings in a little oil for a few mins.

Becuase when then come in the kit they are dry, they need a little oil to expand and make a tight seal.

Let me know how it goes after you've tried this :-)

Luke
Thanks Luke you may well be right...but I always drop some oil in the shock botom cap during building,perhaps they just need time to swell??...how about issues with chassis bow/tweak "belt tension"??...I do like to run my belts quite loose to get the best from the transmision (pro stock) to the point of nearly slipping under hard braking..the bow tweak that I am experiencing is causing the belt to slip under hard braking towards the end of a heat,especialy if I have "clattered" a few apex's a bit hard
Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mrrcguy
It was a good first outing for the Photon here in Middle America at the XRAY Challenge / Beat The Heat.

It was a great event all around with about 130 entries. The track layout was pretty large and the surface is a very heavily sealed asphalt lot sprayed with VHT.

I ran 13.5 and Trans Am. There were two TOP cars (myself and Ertrachter) in the otherwise all XRAY A-Main. It was like walking right in front of a firing squad! Add to the mix that Lemieux and Burch were leading this freight train loaded with tension and it was hella good time. I started seventh in the odd numbered 13 car main and team mate Ertrachter was next in line in the 8. The first two minutes of the race were nothing short of a street fight for every single car out there. After the first few multi-car pile-ups it became al most laughable at just how brutal it got. In the end both Photons survived rolled accross the line only .57 apart in the 9th and 10th spots.

In the Trans Am class however it was an absolutely dominant win for T.O.P. The TQ and the win in this class was a good made for a good first event with the car. My Phton was the only car out there able to reach 20 laps.

I will be posting both a VTA set-up sheet and my 13.5 sheet. The VTA set-up is about as good as anyone could ask for and soooo easy to drive. There will be two versions of the 13.5 sheet (one for a more "free" feeling and the other for one to make the car feel like its has roots). Both 13.5 sheets are way better than the position on the grid that I landed in.
I am looking forward to see your Tran-AMS setup...
Old 07-13-2009, 02:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
As am I! I just ordered this little girl and will most likely stay in VTA. This will be the first TC I've bought new since the RS4 Pro in 1996
Old 07-13-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nocif13
the servo mount is not right it is either through left or right
isnt the mount hole at the bottom offset like on the Scythe ?
Old 07-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nova F1 Racer
Originally Posted by Thirtybird
As am I! I just ordered this little girl and will most likely stay in VTA. This will be the first TC I've bought new since the RS4 Pro in 1996
I will try to get it on here within the week. Im a bit behind after spending the last three days out of town at the track.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default One-way

How soon will a one-way be available for this car? Or is that still an if question?

Sorry if this was posted already but I searched and didn't see anything...
Old 07-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PitNamedGordie
How soon will a one-way be available for this car? Or is that still an if question?

Sorry if this was posted already but I searched and didn't see anything...
If you're jonesing for one immediately, someone previously posted that the one way from the BD5 with pulley was a fit as were the BD5 belts.
Old 07-13-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lesbaldry
Two,two of my shocks leaked badly after only two runs,no shaft "nicks" or poor seals were found,another club mate found exactly the same probs with his Photon...are we alone or is it the British climate???....Cheers Les
I couldn't get my Photon shocks to a point where I was happy with them so I put black TRF shocks on and havent looked back. even got the red ball mounts for them
Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CraigM
I couldn't get my Photon shocks to a point where I was happy with them so I put black TRF shocks on and havent looked back. even got the red ball mounts for them
Do the TOP springs fit the TRF shocks? or did you need to use some TOP parts on the TRF?
Old 07-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have no idea all these problems you guys are having. I haven't had a problem with my shocks at all, they have 5 race days on them not one drop of oil has leaked out and they are still butter smooth with no air.

Plus no car has perfect servo mounting positions since all servos are different but it took me about 3 minutes to get my servo in the car straight and solidly without risking harm to the servo ears or whatever else, just spend a few minutes doing it right.

You should not have your servo mount angled that seems really strange to me. Put the mounts in the holes that are the closest to fitting right, shim the servo out and then pinch the ears with countersunk washers on each side, this should allow all servos to fit no problem. I have tried jr, futaba and ko servos in my car and all fit without problem at all.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
I have no idea all these problems you guys are having. I haven't had a problem with my shocks at all, they have 5 race days on them not one drop of oil has leaked out and they are still butter smooth with no air.

Plus no car has perfect servo mounting positions since all servos are different but it took me about 3 minutes to get my servo in the car straight and solidly without risking harm to the servo ears or whatever else, just spend a few minutes doing it right.

You should not have your servo mount angled that seems really strange to me. Put the mounts in the holes that are the closest to fitting right, shim the servo out and then pinch the ears with countersunk washers on each side, this should allow all servos to fit no problem. I have tried jr, futaba and ko servos in my car and all fit without problem at all.
Larry, come on down to the C and I'll show you 2 shocks that leak through the top of the shock. Brandon Hess and Jamie Hanson both took a look at it and could not figure out why it was leaking...

I consider myself an above average when it comes to building shocks and I am going to take an engineering approach when I rebuild then again this week, build all 4 at the same time, step by step and take measurements..
Old 07-13-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Actually im trying to get my hands on a oneway and I will come down a whole day this week and get a setup for the people with the Photon at the C. The problem is finding a oneway that will work that I can get my hands on this week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.