Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Cool.Track was hooked up better then a carpet track today.I will make it a point to show the cars tomorrow.See you in the AM.
Originally Posted by pakk
Yes. With all that talk going on, I'm not missing a thing.

--pakk
Old 07-12-2009, 05:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Here's a video of TOP taking 1,2&4 at Trains and Lanes Cash race yesterday.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I also Let a buddy run my car after all was said and done. He came back with a huge Grin on his face and said I gotta have one of those cars.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:43 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Ron I gotta guess without looking at the standings from your cash race that it was Schreff and Fairtrace going 1 & 2 or Fairtrace and Schreff so not a real surprise because a shoe with wheels on it and them driving it would lay the hammer on pretty much anyone tht goes to T&L. 4th I would guess that would of been you.

Me and Steve wanted to go to the race but couldn't pull the trigger with the weather showing 40% plus rain and since he drive a little over 3 hours we couldn't risk it. Sorry bro for missing.

The Top cars looked pretty good at Frederick yesturday.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team STPN
Is it true the final drive for the Photon is 2.0
Yes.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
Ron I gotta guess without looking at the standings from your cash race that it was Schreff and Fairtrace going 1 & 2 or Fairtrace and Schreff so not a real surprise because a shoe with wheels on it and them driving it would lay the hammer on pretty much anyone tht goes to T&L. 4th I would guess that would of been you.

Me and Steve wanted to go to the race but couldn't pull the trigger with the weather showing 40% plus rain and since he drive a little over 3 hours we couldn't risk it. Sorry bro for missing.

The Top cars looked pretty good at Frederick yesturday.
Yea it was Schreff, Fairtrace(TQ) and me 4th
Old 07-12-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Good !
Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know I have had my hands on many kits. I can tell you that finding a better quality kit than an X-Ray would be tough. Mind you I'm no big fan of anyone in particular. Their parts are very nice, but in no way are worth twice what other manufactures get for "as good as" parts. Most cars these days are just about as close as they have ever been. But like Formula1, a driver is only as good as his car. Very rarely will a driver make a car better than it actually is ,but perhaps a car can make a better driver. Efficiency seems to be the key with ant form of racing ... no matter how fast. I hope my car gets me back to where I was a few years ago. Guess I haven't wanted to be that guy for a while. I want it back.... DAVE!
I've been chasing the tech for too long... finding one weak link after another...
I need a new mechanic...
Old 07-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well My hat goes off to Josh and the guys a Top racing on such a good car . I finally got to drive mine this week end between a new baby and everything since the kit got here it was hard But got away for a week end to race . I would call myself a fair driver but not great . I ran a X-ray challenge with it this weekend never thought I would make the A-main with the guys I knew that was going to be there(which this is just the start of my third year of driving) I had never driven the car before the race and by the end of the first day of equalifying I was in the A and finished the race better then I qualified and Yes I was running X-ray up to this point and honestly think I would never had made it in the A with it. Again thanks to Josh and all the guys a top for making such a good car and I think it is one of the best handling car I have drove
Old 07-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Tech Regular

I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE SUPPORT OF SERVO, when I fixed 1 media is skewed, the bindings on the chassis are not well bore, which has already had this problem?
THE SERVO MOUNT IS NOT IN THE FACE THEY ARE OFFSET SERVO and I often break the legs of the servo

regards
Old 07-13-2009, 12:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I had another eventful race with mine on the weekend - started to get the handling sorted out a bit but I've still got a few issues with the car.

For some reason I just can't get the diff tight enough. On the bench it is virtually impossible to slip but in the car you notice it slipping at the start and out of hairpins. This is causing me a fair bit of trouble in the race as even on the front row I'm getting swamped by cars before the first turn, and usually end up being punted into the pipes, which brings me to the second problem.....

The car tweaks so easily - a tiny tap from another car or clipping a pipe and the car wont go straight for the rest of the race, and when you check it in the pits the front belt has gone super loose from the tweak.

I dont think the tiny c/f "wings" support the ends of the chassis well enough - it really looks like the car needs an upper plate that incorporates the inner camber mounts and bolts to the middle bulkhead. When you compress the suspension you actually see the bulkhead deflecting in slightly from the movement of the suspension

It's a bit frustrating to be having these issues whilst most people are raving about the car
Old 07-13-2009, 02:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bender
I had another eventful race with mine on the weekend - started to get the handling sorted out a bit but I've still got a few issues with the car.

For some reason I just can't get the diff tight enough. On the bench it is virtually impossible to slip but in the car you notice it slipping at the start and out of hairpins. This is causing me a fair bit of trouble in the race as even on the front row I'm getting swamped by cars before the first turn, and usually end up being punted into the pipes, which brings me to the second problem.....

The car tweaks so easily - a tiny tap from another car or clipping a pipe and the car wont go straight for the rest of the race, and when you check it in the pits the front belt has gone super loose from the tweak.

I dont think the tiny c/f "wings" support the ends of the chassis well enough - it really looks like the car needs an upper plate that incorporates the inner camber mounts and bolts to the middle bulkhead. When you compress the suspension you actually see the bulkhead deflecting in slightly from the movement of the suspension

It's a bit frustrating to be having these issues whilst most people are raving about the car
Jason do you remember my comment about the diff??? Make sure you haven't put 9 balls (8 are required - the kit comes with 1 spare) in the thrust otherwise it will do exactly as you describe. Rebuild it from scratch anyway.

I put my diff together in about 5 minutes and have had no issues at all.

Apparently there is a stiffer top deck available (or will be) if you think you need it. You could also mount the carpet wings when they become available.

Yes I am one of those people raving about the car
Old 07-13-2009, 04:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vr01
Jason do you remember my comment about the diff??? Make sure you haven't put 9 balls (8 are required - the kit comes with 1 spare) in the thrust otherwise it will do exactly as you describe. Rebuild it from scratch anyway.
Just rebuilt it again - no surprises - only 8 thrust balls installed, and it feels really smooth. Can't slip it in the car, but it's another story when it gets on the track
Old 07-13-2009, 05:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

check your roll center mount screws they like to bend when you hit the wheel on a board
Old 07-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I have found my answer to servo concern that I had....

http://www.bmiracing.com/webstore/ca...8667782ff072df

I took my lipo powered dremel and cut og the top and from angeled side of this servo mount and then just a little on the long piece and a perfect fitting servo mount.

Rear diff: I have tighten mine 2 times since I've started runing it and will keep an eye on it..
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-db1060.jpg  
Old 07-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Just rebuilt it again - no surprises - only 8 thrust balls installed, and it feels really smooth. Can't slip it in the car, but it's another story when it gets on the track
2 things I would recommend...

#1. Make sure all the thrust washers are ((((( in configuration. That may help.

#2. Make sure you sand the diff rings really good. The rings in the kit are far from being truly flat. Use like a 200 then go up to 400 grit getting the rings as flat as they can be. You'll see what I mean when you start sanding. It takes a little bit on each ring to get it right.

I'm willing to bet the sanding will help you the most.

Other than that, nothing else special to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.