Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

just build my photon, i like the car feature so much.

but can someone explain to me what is the advantage of the spur gear holder?

its really bring me trouble to install and i think the screw will loose after several run, it will affect the belt as well.

convince me that is special purpose to do it in this way please.else the spur holder design really bring this car down.

i didnt saw this design apply on any flagship touring car.

why?
Old 06-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

after read several post. i already understood.

aluminium spur holder pls.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The spur gear holder is the same as we have used on the Scythe car. The 4 screws thread through the spur from one pulley to the other. Before, the pulleys were smaller with a shaft that went through - bearings were in the bulkheads. Now, we have the bearings in the pulley to allow the pulley to spin on the shaft so the chassis flex/movement can't bind the bearings. The two screws that hold the shaft in you just have to tighten each side/side 1-2 times (double check type deal) and it's easy to tighten it all up.

On my prototype Photon, I used the same spur gear pulleys for 4-5 months and probably at least 150+ battery packs. Never stripped a spur, never had the pulley/spur assembly come loose. It's actually a really good design that came from the origional engineer of the Scythe.

You don't see it on another major touring car because they didn't think of it...lol.... There's a lot on this car that is different than everyother car out there. If we made it the same, people would be on here that we just made a red anodized Tamiya...lol....
Old 06-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I managed to get in ten packs today on the asphalt. The car was great! Nothing broke, came loose, tweaked, or lost adjustment. I ran within .06 seconds of the track record, so it was a good first day.

Thanks again Josh, E.J., & O.D. !
Old 06-27-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Master

Looks to me as if it were designed by a man that has had a lot of cars and was cleaver enough to remember everything he liked (and disliked)from each and every one of those cars and put them all together (or omitted from) including some tricks he picked up along the way and came up with himself were put here in this run on sentence to describe a Photon.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I started my build today and am pleased overall. I did run into a few issues I'd like to pass along:
1. The diff/spool top plates that also mount the camber links - I had to drill out the mounting holes so the screws would fit, they were much too small
2. One of the "wings" had to be filed shorter in order to fit without tweaking the chassis.
3. Don't care for all the 2.5mm screws.
4. The mix of spacers for camber links and sus. arm mounts didn't allow for the kit setup. Those things are so inexpensive, I'd like to see them throw several spares of each size in. I ended up with a bunch of blue ones on the car.

Like I said, these are minor annoyences.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
4. The mix of spacers for camber links and sus. arm mounts didn't allow for the kit setup. Those things are so inexpensive, I'd like to see them throw several spares of each size in. I ended up with a bunch of blue ones on the car.
I found that they don't allow for the kit setup as-built, but do match the rubber setup in the back of the manual.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yo guys. Just wanted to post my impressions for the first race day with the car.

After kinda rush building it in 2 days, not my favorite thing to do with a car that's new to me, things couldn't have gone better for day 1. After running for Losi for over 2 years and knowing that car in and out, my expectations for the Photon were to at least try to get close to what I did with my Losi at my home track.

Larry and I got the chance to work together and we bounced some setup ideas off for the limited stuff we had to work with. We only had the kit parts to work with on setup plus a few shims to change roll center/camber gain. As Larry was going the right direction on setup, I was going the wrong way, but had to try stuff just to know what NOT do to later on.

When all said and done, I was only a tenth off my quick lap from my previous best Losi car run and about 5 seconds off the 6 minute run. Most of which I'm attributing to tires.

All I can say is Josh and TOP did one hell of a job. The car is smooth, transitions easily, and build quality is awesome. EJ and Mike, thanks for getting us the cars so fast as well.

I'm really excited, as I know Larry is too, to continue working on setup. The car rocks guys. I know our shop sold all their kits already and people are looking for more.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I had a chance to get the new Photon on the track for about 3 runs today.
My first impression was wow, this car really turns in. I am a guy who never has enough steering in the car. I am also the guys who ALWAYS runs a oneway. So the Photon was a change for me.
It had plenty of steering on a high bite Asphalt track. No parts broke today. None of the screws came loose anywhere that I have found yet.

I started with the setup josh posted. In 13.5 I ended up reducing the rear toe to about 2.25 degrees and also changed the front servo setting to the forward most notch. There is still a lot to try.... I can't wait to take a day and just test....
Old 06-28-2009, 01:32 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I too had a good first meet with the car down under. TQ, fastest lap, and 2nd overall (could have been first but was taken out by a backmarker while leading A3 ). Most guys running the car for the first time had the same push I did with the base setup, but by the time the finals came around everyone running them looked pretty happy and I think we walked away with 3-4 podiums. We also learned the hard way to use a servo saver with 2 of us running just the arm broke steering bell cranks.

Here is my setup from today, it should be a pretty good starting point for most tracks - I'll go a little softer on springs and oil for my home track which is lower grip and a bit more technical
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-craigm-photon-setup-meca-challenge-rnd-2-sormcc-whalan-20090628.jpg  
Old 06-28-2009, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

Hi Josh / EJ,

What can I change in my Photon if it understeers?
Both on and off power.

And also, EJ, for your Reedy setup, is it suitable for modified class?
If not what I should change?

Thank you!

Last edited by CLK@racing; 06-28-2009 at 05:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 04:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

a main should have these kits july 1, would these be from the first batch or second?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Scond lot in Mid of July
Old 06-28-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
The spur gear holder is the same as we have used on the Scythe car. The 4 screws thread through the spur from one pulley to the other. Before, the pulleys were smaller with a shaft that went through - bearings were in the bulkheads. Now, we have the bearings in the pulley to allow the pulley to spin on the shaft so the chassis flex/movement can't bind the bearings. The two screws that hold the shaft in you just have to tighten each side/side 1-2 times (double check type deal) and it's easy to tighten it all up.

On my prototype Photon, I used the same spur gear pulleys for 4-5 months and probably at least 150+ battery packs. Never stripped a spur, never had the pulley/spur assembly come loose. It's actually a really good design that came from the origional engineer of the Scythe.

You don't see it on another major touring car because they didn't think of it...lol.... There's a lot on this car that is different than everyother car out there. If we made it the same, people would be on here that we just made a red anodized Tamiya...lol....
Totally agree with you Josh. I've run the Scythe for 3 years and never had an issue with the spur gear holder, spur gear or pulleys. So to all those who want an aluminium spur gear holder, forget it! Why would you want the extra rotating weight anyway???

On my Photon, I suspect that the screws holding the shaft were not as tight as what I thought they were, which caused them to undo, allowing the shaft to move and destroy the spur. On the plus side it took less than 5 minutes to replace. Drivetrain maintenance is easy on this car.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by E.J. Evans
I run the servo in the forward position. To do this you have to run spacers on the servo mount so the servo sticks out a little more, file the bell crank arm, and file the servo case. You don't have to do this if you run the servo in the rearward position. I do it because I like to get as much space between the speedo and motor (help with cooling the motor).
Hi EJ,

Some questions on mounting the servo in the forward position.

1) How much of the bell crank arm you'll need to file off? Wouldn't this weaken the strength where the screw hole is? Possible for you to take a pic of your filed crank arm?

2) What servo saver are you using? It seems to be positioned farther away from the servo compared to normal.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.