R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-03-2012, 12:49 AM   #8806
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
Don't know if this can be confirmed or not yet with the new model, but I have various sway bars, belts etc, and wondered if much will carry over?, even shocks etc?, would be nice to get a new kit and end up with a handy amount of spares from breaking down the old car rather than selling it off.
From what i understand most to all the suspension parts are the same. The biggest changes are the chassis, top deck, bulk heads, and steering system. Most of this is evident from the pictures.

I'm very excited about this car, most the changes look to be for the better.
5280raceway.com [Operated by - Colorado On-Road RC Club]
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 20-23rd 2017 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:56 AM   #8807
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
I made an excitement in my pants...

No one take this the wrong way, but I was wondering if the price would drop cause the new TA 6.1 is good, and cheap, it's not up to the TOP on quality, but I'm fighting a hoard of them suddenly at my track, plus I drove a friends last meet, and it was very good on track.

Don't know if this can be confirmed or not yet with the new model, but I have various sway bars, belts etc, and wondered if much will carry over?, even shocks etc?, would be nice to get a new kit and end up with a handy amount of spares from breaking down the old car rather than selling it off.
price should "technically" be a little lower than the original photon simply as the EX will come with a Gear diff instead of a ball diff (approx $15-20 cheaper?)

I have received the latest EX Prototype Cad file and there are some changes from the Original EX Prototype we ran (and destroyed at TITC ), looks to be mostly around the Bottom deck and toe adjustment,

we had a look at some of the new Gear diffs at TITC and they do look very nice,

my understanding is that carryover from the original Photon to the EX will be all the plastic mold parts (arms, knuckles, c-hubs, etc), Shocks, sway-bars, belts, pulleys, universals and diffs,

basically if you currently own a photon and have a bunch of spares then the new EX will be able to use them,
Team Tekin , ESC's, motors,
Elangears, Chargers,

Last edited by Rod M; 03-03-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Rod M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #8808
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod M View Post
price should "technically" be a little lower than the original photon simply as the EX will come with a Gear diff instead of a ball diff (approx $15-20 cheaper?)

I have received the latest EX Prototype Cad file and there are some changes from the Original EX Prototype we ran (and destroyed at TITC ), looks to be mostly around the Bottom deck and toe adjustment,

we had a look at some of the new Gear diffs at TITC and they do look very nice,

my understanding is that carryover from the original Photon to the EX will be all the plastic mold parts (arms, knuckles, c-hubs, etc), Shocks, sway-bars, belts, pulleys, universals and diffs,

basically if you currently own a photon and have a bunch of spares then the new EX will be able to use them,
Which arm mounts are going into production? the xray style or tamiya style? personally I prefer the xray style since you can use shims for fine tuning toe and arm sweep.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #8809
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Looking forward to the new car, I have been running a Photon for a bit now and really like it, very smooth and stable car, I modded the steering for transverse servo mounting, have plenty of steering and response. But I think the car might be too stable, my lap times are no what they should be, need to get another 0.3-0.4 out of the car.

So looking for current set ups for 17.5 non boosted on mid bite carpet, to compare to mine.

SLOWINSLOWOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 AM   #8810
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to E.J. Evans
Default Photon EX

Some parts between the Photon and Photon EX are interchangeable. The majority of the suspension is the same (arms, knuckles, C-hubs, shocks, etc..). Most of the drive train is the same (bearings, rear belt, dog bones, spool, diff, center pulley).

Some differences:

The front belt is a little longer.

The shock tower mounting holes are the same so the towers are interchangeable however the EX towers are 1mm higher (this was done to get the piston further away from the bladder). The new towers also has prongs to center the sway bar.

The hinge pins mounts are different along with the top deck, chassis, steering bell crank, bulkheads, motor mount.

The new gear diff has been great so far. No leaks and butter smooth. This will be included with the kit and we have made optional steel outdrives for it.

Hope this answers some questions.

Solaris Racing Products (SRP) Solaris Spec Tires!

www.solarisrp.com | www.apexhobbies.com | www.topracingusa.com
E.J. Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #8811
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. Evans View Post
Some parts between the Photon and Photon EX are interchangeable. The majority of the suspension is the same (arms, knuckles, C-hubs, shocks, etc..). Most of the drive train is the same (bearings, rear belt, dog bones, spool, diff, center pulley).

Some differences:

The shock tower mounting holes are the same so the towers are interchangeable however the EX towers are 1mm higher (this was done to get the piston further away from the bladder). The new towers also has prongs to center the sway bar.

The hinge pins mounts are different along with the top deck, chassis, steering bell crank, bulkheads, motor mount.

The new gear diff has been great so far. No leaks and butter smooth. This will be included with the kit and we have made optional steel outdrives for it.

sounds good any idea of the cost for the kit?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #8812
Tech Regular

Quote:

Some differences:

thanks EJ!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:13 PM   #8813
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Does someone make a one way differential that works with the photon sedan?

Thanks!
gguertin145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #8814
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post

Thanks!
TOP sells one for it...
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 AM   #8815
Tech Apprentice

CAD drawings of the Photon EX are on RED RC
mcb-jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #8816
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb-jet View Post
CAD drawings of the Photon EX are on RED RC
seems like they really have taken the time to think about this one... its great! very impressed...
sagejyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:41 AM   #8817
Tech Master

now it has been officially announced,

attached are some more detailed Pics I pulled from the CAD file, (sorry the pics are not straight)
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.1.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.2.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.3.jpg   T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-ex-std-chassis-finished-1.4.jpg  

Elangears, Chargers,
Old 03-06-2012, 03:23 AM   #8818
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thanks Rod.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:03 AM   #8819
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguertin145 View Post

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goetter View Post
TOP sells one for it...
just make sure you order the correct one as there is two versions depending on which side you run the belts,

PO-PDT007RD Photon One-Way Set
PO-PDT0R7RD Photon One-Way Set - Reverse
Elangears, Chargers,
Old 03-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #8820
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

Some differences:

I second EJ on the gear diffs. They look Great.
e-mail: officialracing@gmail.com
Official is offline   Reply With Quote