R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #8641
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
...it takes a few packs to break in -- but so does the xray gear diff...
Not true if you are speaking about the XRAY factory unit. As pointed out it's butter smooth and ready to go outta the box
Old 12-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #8642
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Interesting discussion. I've been running dual spec-r diffs in my Photon for several months now. First on the asphalt and now on the carpet for the past 2 months. No leaks and they work like a charm. I have a Yokomo diff also that leaked the first two times I used it, so I stuck with the spec-r diffs. Today I rebuilt the Yokomo and ran it successfully for several packs with no issues. Butter smooth. A friend of mine just purchased two Xray diffs for his T3'11 and asked me to build them for him today. The quality is very nice and the build was straightforward with good parts and easy assembly. The first one was very smooth. Comparable to the Yokomo. The second one has a small notch in it when you spin it. I'm sure that will wear in and work just fine, but definitely not butter out of the package.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:27 PM   #8643
Tech Champion

I also did a bit of testing with different driveline components today. Fastest laps were run with the spool/Xray ECS shafts and Side Piece Racing outdrives in the front and ball diff in the back. A tenth or two slower but easier to drive fast were the dual gear diffs with 40K front oil and 20wt shock oil in the rear. Slowest times but easiest to drive was gear diff front and ball diff rear. When driven consistently, the spool is the best option. Weight of the spool with bearings and SPR outdrives installed was 15 grams. Weight of the spec-r gear diff with bearings and 40k oil was 32 grams. Thats alot of weight to add to the drivetrain.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #8644
Tech Apprentice

thanks for the replies..
I tried xray geardiff today on asphalt, first dual spec-r 300k front/700 rear, then change to dual xray 300k front/700 rear. the xray combo felt more consistent. I don't have time to test different oil. Will do more test next week.

the problem with xray diff is that the top driveshaft is smaller than xray outdrive. I run it 2-3 batt, the blade worn faster. it might affect the handling also. Looking at the xray driveshaft price, I think I should try yokomo diff first.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:23 AM   #8645
Tech Regular

Hi!
Anyone has tried Spec-R C.V. Universal Swing Shaft Version 2 Yokomo BD5 on Photon?
I think fit them also tamiya version...
Old 01-01-2012, 05:06 AM   #8646
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
I also did a bit of testing with different driveline components today. Fastest laps were run with the spool/Xray ECS shafts and Side Piece Racing outdrives in the front and ball diff in the back. A tenth or two slower but easier to drive fast were the dual gear diffs with 40K front oil and 20wt shock oil in the rear. Slowest times but easiest to drive was gear diff front and ball diff rear. When driven consistently, the spool is the best option. Weight of the spool with bearings and SPR outdrives installed was 15 grams. Weight of the spec-r gear diff with bearings and 40k oil was 32 grams. Thats alot of weight to add to the drivetrain.
Have you ever tried real oil in the front with a gear diff, either 500k or putty, 40k has to be unloading the inside tire coming out of corners. Even though I'm running an xray at the moment, I have the same results with drivetrain options as you, the main difference I can attribute between them is the spool can negotiate the tighter part of the track better than gear diff, but the gear diff is much better for consistency, making it easier to correct a bad line.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:16 AM   #8647
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow lots of xray talk in here, seems odd... I just have to give a shout for SIDEPIECE since they are so awesome.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:21 AM   #8648
Tech Champion

I've never tried anything higher than 120k. I'll pick some up and give it a shot.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #8649
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Happy new year everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luppi Stefano View Post
Hi!
Anyone has tried Spec-R C.V. Universal Swing Shaft Version 2 Yokomo BD5 on Photon?
I think fit them also tamiya version...
Prepare to potentially be disappointed

Maybe they are better now in v2?

The solution I came up with probably is still the best - Mira outdrives and XRay ECS - WWW.sidepieceracing.com
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 AM   #8650
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
In some lower grip situations a rear gear diff with light oil (think asphalt spec..) has shown to have good grip as compared to our usual ball diff. When grip comes up then the gear diff starts to overrotate on exit... so the ball diff is a better option -- or some thicker oil (don't know what yet.. haven't found anything better than a ball diff)
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #8651
Tech Champion

Quote:
In some lower grip situations a rear gear diff with light oil (think asphalt spec..) has shown to have good grip as compared to our usual ball diff. When grip comes up then the gear diff starts to overrotate on exit... so the ball diff is a better option -- or some thicker oil (don't know what yet.. haven't found anything better than a ball diff)
There are definitely alot of options for different traction situations. I still haven't been able to make the gear diff feel like a ball diff, but it's nice to have options.

And yeah, the Side Piece Racing outdrives are the way to go if you're going to run a spool and ECS combo.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:11 AM   #8652
Tech Regular

Quote:
Happy new year everyone!

Prepare to potentially be disappointed

Maybe they are better now in v2?

The solution I came up with probably is still the best - Mira outdrives and XRay ECS - WWW.sidepieceracing.com
I have talk with italian yokomo driver, is better than v1 version
v2 has clip similar to 417 driveshaft, are more resistant and they are also used in modified with very good feedback!
your method with Mira outdrive is very interesting, but ECS is too Expensive!
p.s. I run with Alu TOP Spool or Litemodz Spool
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #8653
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Gearing wise, what is a good starting point for a Revtech 10.5 no boost on a 50x40 carpet track?
Thanks,
Beau
THE GOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #8654
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

so am i reading correctly that the new V.2 spec-r yokomo BD-5 shafts will work in the photon, if so will they require different c-hubs and stuff?
Old 01-06-2012, 05:30 PM   #8655
Tech Regular

Hi!
Anyone has try to cut rubber topdeck in this way?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-topdeck1.jpg