R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-11-2011, 12:03 PM   #8566
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
Thanks. We had a Toys 4 Tots race yesterday at Horsham and someone modified our awards to look like a Santa FJ.

Anyway - TOP drivers took down the four classes we competed in. Larry won super stock TC and 13.5 boosted 1/12. Goat won WGT in his debut. I took down stock 1/12.
Yes we did. I tqed with my EX and won with my Photon. Just trying them back to back to see what the differences were. Since I had not driven my photon in over a month.

12th scale was awesome again.

Good runs from FJ and Goat.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #8567
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Im sure this has been asked already, but. When will the EX be available for purchase?
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #8568
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to AlanHall Send a message via Yahoo to AlanHall

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Yes we did. I tqed with my EX and won with my Photon. Just trying them back to back to see what the differences were. Since I had not driven my photon in over a month.

How was the comparison
Old 12-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #8569
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHall View Post
How's the handling change? My exotek chassis is set up for it.
The steering felt a little more direct (I did the mod initially on a 6 cell chassis)
Probably because its so much closer to the pivot point. But I like it
Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #8570
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post

Always TOPz! Almost convinced about the 12'er. Great job.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #8571
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

hi just needed some info on the top photon, what is the latest version, part number, is the lipo version (usa) the same as the ex, or are there different versions of the car released, if so which is the better or best version to buy thanks
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #8572
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

The EX still hasn't been released... Be glad when it comes out I'm tired for guys spanking me with their 2012s ... Larry so how did the ex compare to the eother photon. I have to say I realy wished u had lost with the old photon bout would had won with the EX car... That would been proof of change . But ur a wheel u could probably set pace with a old shoe box . Lol I need to pick up .5 sec a lap within the car @ my home track guys that I would run with or beat out by a few sec r ahead of me by a lap since the got the xray 2012 . I drove a 2012 and wow the kit setup is on point out of the box was better than my photon the way I drive, sure hope the ex will put us avg Joe drivers on par with the avg Joe 2012s .lol

Last edited by jlfx car audio; 12-16-2011 at 01:02 PM.
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #8573
Tech Elite

You really think your getting beat by half a second because they have 2012s? Did you match or beat yours and their lap times when you drove their cars?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #8574
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

for those who own the top cars, is the quality on par or better then the tamiya 417, or the xray thanks
zaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 02:50 PM   #8575
Tech Elite

You mean as in cheaply made?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #8576
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

TOP's quality is on par or better, compared to comp-level Tamiya cars (imo).
As for Xray--I'd have to say their metal parts are of superior quality...
...but then there are those wonderful plastic shocks to dink with

I think 'value' is the best way to describe the differences...
Like taking, for instance, the price: roughly $150 less...
It's not that price is everything, but that an extra $150 makes anyone go faster (i.e. fresher batts, newer motors, etc).
And on the track, the Photon is pure magic...

DIALED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:59 PM   #8577
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
The EX still hasn't been released... Be glad when it comes out I'm tired for guys spanking me with their 2012s ... Larry so how did the ex compare to the eother photon. I have to say I realy wished u had lost with the old photon bout would had won with the EX car... That would been proof of change . But ur a wheel u could probably set pace with a old shoe box . Lol I need to pick up .5 sec a lap within the car @ my home track guys that I would run with or beat out by a few sec r ahead of me by a lap since the got the xray 2012 . I drove a 2012 and wow the kit setup is on point out of the box was better than my photon the way I drive, sure hope the ex will put us avg Joe drivers on par with the avg Joe 2012s .lol
Both cars were good in their own ways. I was almost exactly the same speed with both of them, they just drove differently.

If you think a new car is going to gain you .5 a lap you my friend are sadly mistaken.

I have raced against every car on the market with my photon and its always fast enough to compete. If you can find me .5 in a car I'll take it and win the worlds.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #8578
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
It sounds like before they had poorly set up cars, and now the kit setup of the 2012 suits the track a little better. Maybe post up some track details and current setup, and the guys on here can help?

Personally, my photon is quicker now then it has been ever. I made a few changes and its like driving a new car. So don't be scared - Experiment!

What motor class are you running?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #8579
Tech Elite

Well... yes after about 20-30 laps with the xray car I was turning .3sec faster laps than with.my photon .and it was all in corner speed,consistancy,and confidence driving a car that does exactly what I tell it to do. Now our home track (thunder rc, Nashville ,tn) bought the rug that they ran at vagas with same layout and all. It's a realy high bite track .. now I'm only 1of 4 photon drivers at this track Wile the the xray is about 20+ and associated 6+ . So being the fastest photon driver I have noone to get advise from about which way to go with setup as traction builds so Wile in first qual I was on pace and ahead of those I normaly run with ,car felt great and all that jazz . As traction picked up car got less consistant and unpredictiable with less confidence to drive it hard. So given the photon as more but I have no good idea as to which way to take setup for Larry's base setup .
The xray car only got faster and more aggressive every heat and when I ran it was after the mains . So it was at its best for the day . I was turning 11.7s 20% of the race and avg 12.4 / a identical driver (we r usualy neck and neck) was 11.4 at best and avg 12.0 ,down the strait we were dead even he just had more corner speed and I'm sure more confidence that his car would do as it was asked. I drove their car and turned a 11.5 in about 25laps worth of driving . So I guess the question I should ask is which way do I take my car when traction builds ?
Old 12-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #8580
Tech Elite

I'm running 17.5 spec with LF set up but just a bit wider track width. All else is identical to his set up with med traction its a dream to drive with sweep exp tires . But as it builds it seemed to be lazy in some corners and didn't respond well at all thru the shacane(sorry for the spellin) never traction roled but rear would break free from time to time . I must admit I'm not the smoothest driver but I don't drive lock to lock either. Early on in the day I could snatch it comin out of shacane but as traction came up it was unprodictiable. Also comin off sweeper into infield it pushed and lost a lot of speed thru that area . The xray cars looked as if they never lifted more than 1/2 making the transition as I would come off throttle for 1/2 sec (no drag brake either) and have to role into power