T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car >

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Old 12-02-2011, 06:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

One more picture...
Attached Thumbnails T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-03122011105.jpg  
Old 12-02-2011, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

What is that behind your battery
Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Capacitors
Old 12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlanHall
Thanks guys. I was kind of replying to bishops view of the lack of support from top .. anyway..

I got my super clean.. but used photon today.. it currently has a gear diff in front and ball in the back. What's the benefit? I have read about rear gear diff and spools up front. But im not certain what setup does what.. last time I raced touring was a xray fk05 around 2006... lol its been a while. Good thing is I learned gear diffs a bit from racing 8thbut scale offload. But just not sure in TC.
Running a gear diff in the front while running a ball diff in the back will give you a good balance of on and off power steering. While the ball/ball combination would give you the most off power, the spool/ball will give you the most on power. Running the gear diff in the front with some heavy fluid (40k plus) will give you good off power steering while eliminating alot of the push from running a ball diff in the front while on power. On the asphalt, I switched between the spool front/gear diff rear and dual gear diffs. Currently running 40k front and 35wt in the back on carpet. Gives great rotation and good response through the turns. I'm also able to hold the sweeper at both ends of the track wide open.
There are lots of tuning options available with gear diffs. You just have to experiment and see what works for you. Thicker oil up front makes it closer to a spool, thicker oil in the rear slows the rotation of the car.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Tech Elite

Cool thanks. I have two gear diffs a ball and the spool.. so ill just have to play with it.with the rear gear diff.. is it a good idea to start with the same fluid (in rear) when testing between a gear diff and spool in front?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AlanHall
Cool thanks. I have two gear diffs a ball and the spool.. so ill just have to play with it.with the rear gear diff.. is it a good idea to start with the same fluid (in rear) when testing between a gear diff and spool in front?
If you're testing the differences between a spool and gear diff in the front, I would leave the rear diff alone. If you change other parts of your setup, your test will be flawed. I would suggest using the ball diff in the rear while you test the front changes. After you've settled on the front drivetrain and the car is consistent, add the rear gear diff and start experimenting.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Nice mounts TeamWTF, I kind of wish TOP had done a carbon option mount, as much as I like the alloy, it's overpriced, bling city though.

On my Photon I'm still rocking a Micro/TOP front diff with 200k, and Yoko with the stock 700cst fill, I find it a very good combo (10.5T), though I keep meaning to up the oils in both ends, I find it a little light at times, depending on traction though.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:03 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bishop
Nice mounts TeamWTF, I kind of wish TOP had done a carbon option mount, as much as I like the alloy, it's overpriced, bling city though.
U can find graphite hooks and No chassis holes for tape in the EJ chassis. I have a used one if anyone is interested. Pm me
Old 12-03-2011, 12:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bishop

On my Photon I'm still rocking a Micro/TOP front diff with 200k, and Yoko with the stock 700cst fill, I find it a very good combo (10.5T), though I keep meaning to up the oils in both ends, I find it a little light at times, depending on traction though.
I really like the exo chassis. Would like to have tried the EJ also, but with the new car out soon I'm sure it would not get much use.

You guys run foams right? We run rubber. Car feels pretty good at the moment.... Just trying to get more initial and less on power. Tried droop and springs so now for something a little different... Car is great to drive and still carries more speed than most.

I'm running almost kit setup with 2.5deg rear toe, 1.5deg+ front toe, Small roll changes, shock locations, ackerman all the way forward, and no sway bars.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by stiltskin
If you're testing the differences between a spool and gear diff in the front, I would leave the rear diff alone. If you change other parts of your setup, your test will be flawed. I would suggest using the ball diff in the rear while you test the front changes. After you've settled on the front drivetrain and the car is consistent, add the rear gear diff and start experimenting.
Ok. Thanks. It currently has gear/ball.. ill run it that way and see how it goes. How many are running the exotek chassis? It came with that too. Also..should I be looking at 24s or 28s for rubber tires? Indoor carpet

Last edited by AlanHall; 12-03-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Had a great run with the Photon today... Took half a second from my best lap. 18.0 to a 17.5!

Running the front arms sloping down to the front (anti dive?) car turned in really well and was well mannered on power.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:12 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Hey guys, just picked up a Photon (USA edition)...getting back into running 1/10th touring after doing years of 1/8th offroad.

Anyways, I'm looking to purchase a gear diff for the rear. I was thinking about getting the Spec R BD-5 diff but I heard it has leakage problems? I don't mind paying a bit more for the Yokomo diff if it doesn't leak at all. Just not sure who carries it around here.

What gearing do you guys recommend for non boosted 17.5? Any setup tips for both asphalt/carpet with rubber tires? (Will be running at Norcal Hobbies)
Old 12-04-2011, 10:44 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan
Hey guys, just picked up a Photon (USA edition)...getting back into running 1/10th touring after doing years of 1/8th offroad.

Anyways, I'm looking to purchase a gear diff for the rear. I was thinking about getting the Spec R BD-5 diff but I heard it has leakage problems? I don't mind paying a bit more for the Yokomo diff if it doesn't leak at all. Just not sure who carries it around here.

What gearing do you guys recommend for non boosted 17.5? Any setup tips for both asphalt/carpet with rubber tires? (Will be running at Norcal Hobbies)
here is a link for the diff..
http://www.rcmart.com/rc-yokomo-gear...l-p-33509.html

for gearing on a 17.5 blinky i run in the 3.80's with temp on my d3 about 130-135 on a good size indoor track
Old 12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I get my yokomo bd5 heat diffs here - http://www.driftspeed.com/index.php?...yword=bd5+diff
Old 12-04-2011, 11:51 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

To everyone looking for carpet setups please at least try this one - http://racerlog.com/w/images/3/39/Ho...up_11-6-10.pdf

It is the basis for all carpet and asphalt setups that Larry and others have successfully run for the past 2+ years. The hardest part about this setup is building the shocks correctly. If you use Larry's method this setup is dialed. If you use EJ method for carpet with this setup it doesn't work as well. That said I used EJs method for asphalt racing as it requires less oil refilling to remove air from the shocks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.