R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #8476
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph m View Post
Yeah that's what I need! Couldn't for the life of me find that Thanks!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:44 AM   #8477
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpurple View Post
Hey Burt, all you have to do is email us at topracingusa@yahoo.com
Everything is in stock.
Or you can order through RWH
Thanks OD...I already have an order in for some 1/8th buggy parts at Amain so I'm going to see if they can add in these parts to the order
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #8478
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamWTF View Post
If its really low grip you might want it to roll a little more? Maybe softer oil also (40wt is standard, try 30wt)

I found the kit setup didnt turn really well... Maybe your car is easy to drive but if it is understeering maybe you could fix that also... Use a little less rear toe (For stock classes) for starters...
I should have mentioned that the only thing I tried to change from the box setup was, hum... going down to 30wt (AE oil). It didn't change as much as I expected but it felt a little easier ( not sure about laptimes though because the carpet picks up a bit of grip suddenly after the 2nd qualification usually.)

I definitely will try a bit less toe-in because indeed the rear end is planted, but most of my fellow racers use between 3 and 3.5 degrees. I had the winner of our race ( really, really good driver) drive my car during the lunch break and he was positive about the handling and told me to change nothing. Which I did. But I'm pretty sure I would have been faster with my fk05, haha

Could you explain the idea behind widening the rear track with +1mm between the bulkhead and the inner hingepin mount ? (i.e. like the manual says)

I noticed for example S.Weiss' sheet from the photon wiki has removed it, going to 0mm at the front of the arm, and 2.4mm at the back of the arm.

Why ?

thanks again !
Old 11-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #8479
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

With the 2.4 in rear and 0 in front of ARM gives u ur toe angle .
It u increase each by say 1mm (3.4rr-1fr) will widen track width and take some traction away from rear of car . Same applies to front of car the narrower it is the more traction it will generate .
My vta setup I would have to say is set up for all the chassis traction I can get mechanically
Rear:
278 springs
40wt oil
1.2-3hole with 0 rebound
Laid in all the way on tower and in hole 1 on arms ( more progressive spring softer at first and stiffer later)
1.5-2 deg of toe per side ( this is a vta thing when traction is up) normal is 3deg per
LL inner mounts with option camber link plates(1.25) in #3
Front
344 /45oil/1.2-3hole 0 rebound
LL
Shock position on tower #3 / #2 on ARM
Outer hole on steering nuckels
#10insert in position 3 farward all the way
Chassis
6cell nimh standard
Soft top deck
Rubber wings
1.5mm droop front
3mm rear
5.6rear
5.2front

I know this is a vta setup but if traction is low I would think it sould work on a tc car also
I have ran this setup outdoors and it made a lot of traction too much
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:47 AM   #8480
P2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOD View Post
Time to come back out to RWH and do some racing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
Dude we're running 1/12th out at RWH! Come on out!
All I have left is my Photon, what tires are working at RWH? I might be able to swing by the track this Sunday as a spectator.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #8481
AOD
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2 View Post
All I have left is my Photon, what tires are working at RWH? I might be able to swing by the track this Sunday as a spectator.
Still using Sorex 36's at RWH I have a set with 1 run on it you can use. Season starts 2nd Sunday in January plenty of time to pick up a rebel. 2nd Sunday in Dec is a test n tune. Just pick me up a new 12th starting to build it as I type. Give me a call sucka!!!!!
AOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #8482
Tech Regular

Steven Weiss, TOP Racing Europe, win a Genitin Trophy in Rome, Italy.
great Job Steven! thanks to Luca Magnocavallo(Genitin) and Cristiano Mossa(Framega) for this!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #8483
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hey guys, been a while since I raced my photon. I was looking to give it a fresh rebuild, and was looking at chassis options. I really like the exotek, and was wondering if there is any reason I shouldnt give it a try? I will mainly run on carpet, 17.5 (blinky) touring.
DNX408V2-NovaP5, DETC410-Reventon 1.1ex-5.5t MMM
RC10 , RC10GT2- CV-R- SAVOX,
TAMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:04 PM   #8484
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Which chassis u have on it now? If its the old 6cell and u have a high bite track I would say yes to the ecotech. Or the latest top chassis the ecotech is a nice chassis but not sure it its anybetter than the others on carpet
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #8485
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

hey guys im thinkin about getting this car or the xray 2012. how well does this car work? thanks.

Tekno RC | Pro-Line Racing | Hobby-Pros.com | Fastlane Graphix
dfsc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:08 PM   #8486
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsc10 View Post
hey guys im thinkin about getting this car or the xray 2012. how well does this car work? thanks.
The car works great. Xray has always produced top of the line cars that work straight out of the box. They also demand a premium price for them. The Photon performs just as well with high quality parts, amazing customer support from TOP USA, and all at 2/3 the price of the Xray. I won our Halloween race on asphalt, came inside to the carpet track with an oil change and put a lap on the field. Our track has become 80% Photon. TOP must be doing something right.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #8487
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
The car works great. Xray has always produced top of the line cars that work straight out of the box. They also demand a premium price for them. The Photon performs just as well with high quality parts, amazing customer support from TOP USA, and all at 2/3 the price of the Xray. I won our Halloween race on asphalt, came inside to the carpet track with an oil change and put a lap on the field. Our track has become 80% Photon. TOP must be doing something right.
+1 I agree completely.
mdhyams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #8488
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Skype™ to justin w

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
TOP is the way to go i agree with this 100% I have 2 photons 1 just was to fun, so 2 is twice the fun!!!
justin w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #8489
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sorry, but -1 to some of the above...

Bare kit 'is' cheap enough, but add in just the battery mounts and it's getting up there (not to even mention the stock kit screws are a joke), a few more options (gear diffs spring to mind, stock on many kits now), plus everyone wants to bin the stock chassis now for a narrow spec option, and there is your Xray money and then some.

And sorry again but I have proven several times now TOP parts 'are' right up there in pricing near Xray, maybe a shade cheaper on some bits, but it still makes it the second most expensive race chassis to maintain at best.

Lately there is also at least two other kit brands as cheap to buy, both ok cars (though to be fair the TC6 does not impress me much in stock form).

Is it a great kit though?, yeah to be sure, mine has steering to die for, it's also forgiving to drive, and seems to have a wide tuning window.

But having gear diffs that don't quite fit perfectly sucks (Yoko or SpecR made for the BD5), and there is really a half dozen bits the stock kits 'should' come with, so I'll sit on the reality side of the fence, and say it's no better or worse than a half dozen other cars out there.

Just a shame I'm so in love with the original Josh design, and it's so pretty in red, one of which may be gone soon though, and a CEFX or 411 starts looking real nice...
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:48 AM   #8490
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I agree with what Bishop has said.

The photon is an exceptional car and works great. It's a very good beginner car as it has work well for me for 2 years.
sprintcarracer is offline   Reply With Quote