R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #8371
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,065
Default

I've been searching this thread about tony's screw kits but couldn't find any mention so assumed the question had not been asked : how good are they ?
Does the kit include the 2,6mm top plate screws ? thanks in advance !

http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.s...&categoryId=60
__________________
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #8372
Tech Elite
 
rocketron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: palm desert
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR4Dude View Post
Interested in trying one but I was told that these cars are a bit fragile. Are they? Or are they as durable as any other top line TC except you just can't hit the boards with it constantly?
Hey Roger

The Photon is one tough car and is what i race at WC. Hitting the boards constantly??? well sooner or later I am certain you will be able to break something

Next time your at the track come over and take a look.
__________________
- SchuurSpeed - 6X ROAR National Stock Champion
- Hobbywing North America Team Manager
rocketron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 PM   #8373
Tech Master
 
Mr. Bubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,061
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
I've been searching this thread about tony's screw kits but couldn't find any mention so assumed the question had not been asked : how good are they ?
Does the kit include the 2,6mm top plate screws ? thanks in advance !

http://www.tonysscrews.com/product.s...&categoryId=60
I just got a set the other day and put 'em all in. Yes it does come with the 2.6 mm for the top plate but they are the regular flathead design, not the raised flathead design like from TOP. Actually I read somewhere that that raised flathead screws were originally developed to reduce chassis tweak in a crash, maybe that's true, maybe not. I put the ones from the new kit in so far but I think I will change back to the original ones. After swapping all screws, I had a whole bunch left over also, great for spares.
__________________
Schumacher MI6 (SMC Powered) Touring Car
Xray T4 '16 (SMC Powered) USGT
Xray XB2 2WD (TSR Powered) Stock Buggy
No 1/12 scale till they run with rubber tires!!!
Mr. Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #8374
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Staten Island
Posts: 30
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

......
profound30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 AM   #8375
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,065
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bubby View Post
I just got a set the other day and put 'em all in. Yes it does come with the 2.6 mm for the top plate but they are the regular flathead design, not the raised flathead design like from TOP. Actually I read somewhere that that raised flathead screws were originally developed to reduce chassis tweak in a crash, maybe that's true, maybe not. I put the ones from the new kit in so far but I think I will change back to the original ones. After swapping all screws, I had a whole bunch left over also, great for spares.
Good to hear...

what would be your apreciation of the quality of the screws ?

Material hardness ?

Screws perfectly straight or not ? (alignment of the cone with the threaded rod)

Tightness of the hexagon with the driver's print ?

Thanks again !
__________________
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:01 PM   #8376
Tech Addict
 
sprintcarracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Northern Indiana
Posts: 538
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Can anyone tell me the diffrence between the EJ narrow chassis compared to the Exotech chassis? I have the Exotech chassis and I don't really care for the feel it has to it. Does the EJ chassis react more like the stock lipo chassis or more like the Exotech?

What lenght ECS shafts are used? I see spec-r has a version 2 out.

Last edited by sprintcarracer; 10-19-2011 at 11:12 PM. Reason: add more
sprintcarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 PM   #8377
Tech Champion
 
smilekt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 9,536
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

need advice

i need more cornering speed & more cornering degree ... what should i make setup change ? currently im running photon standard 6 cell main chasis with 10.5t motor .. running on asphalt open high speed sweeper track.

Thanks
__________________
Kuala Terengganu Rc Club Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?v=wall&gid=357083332025
smilekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 04:43 AM   #8378
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,209
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcarracer View Post
Can anyone tell me the diffrence between the EJ narrow chassis compared to the Exotech chassis? I have the Exotech chassis and I don't really care for the feel it has to it. Does the EJ chassis react more like the stock lipo chassis or more like the Exotech?

What lenght ECS shafts are used? I see spec-r has a version 2 out.
I've run both chassis .. and the exotech is still on my mod asphalt car. The exotech is thinner so you'd have to run a harder top deck to make it feel like the EJ/stock lipo.

Good luck with the spec-r drive shafts. Every time I ran them they would break and that is why I created the Mira Outdrives so I could run XRay 50mm ECS -- WWW.sidepieceracing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilekt View Post
need advice

i need more cornering speed & more cornering degree ... what should i make setup change ? currently im running photon standard 6 cell main chasis with 10.5t motor .. running on asphalt open high speed sweeper track.

Thanks
You'll need to provide a lot more info to get help. Where does the car need to improve? What type of corners?
What is the current setup?
I always try some droop adjustments before changing anything else. A little more front droop usually helps cars in the sweeper.
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #8379
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salem
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintcarracer View Post
Can anyone tell me the diffrence between the EJ narrow chassis compared to the Exotech chassis? I have the Exotech chassis and I don't really care for the feel it has to it. Does the EJ chassis react more like the stock lipo chassis or more like the Exotech?

What lenght ECS shafts are used? I see spec-r has a version 2 out.

I went from the stock LIPO chassis to the "EJ" chassis and love it. Car feels more planted and stable. I can get it to roll more with out scrubbing as well.
__________________
T.O.P Racing USA

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #8380
Tech Master
 
Mr. Bubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,061
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by heretic View Post
Good to hear...

what would be your apreciation of the quality of the screws ?

Material hardness ?

Screws perfectly straight or not ? (alignment of the cone with the threaded rod)

Tightness of the hexagon with the driver's print ?

Thanks again !
Very good screw kit. Fit and finish is very good, yes they are straight with no wobble when tightening. I use a 5/64" assoc. driver and it fits perfectly. They might add a little weight but I didn't actually take that measurement. Definitely a good buy, I think I'm actually gonna get another set for my VTA.
__________________
Schumacher MI6 (SMC Powered) Touring Car
Xray T4 '16 (SMC Powered) USGT
Xray XB2 2WD (TSR Powered) Stock Buggy
No 1/12 scale till they run with rubber tires!!!
Mr. Bubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #8381
Tech Master
 
heretic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: europe
Posts: 1,065
Default

Thank you , Sir.

"Added to cart" !

__________________
I love wedge bodies. I love dish wheels.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 04:47 AM   #8382
Tech Addict
 
paraletic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: ADELAIDE
Posts: 553
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

I've been playing with one my photons using the exotec chassis and the 2011 reedy setup of ej's

What I've noticed is that on full lock the front rims foul on the lower front shock ball cups and spring seats, quite badly
If I set the end points so the rims clear there isn't a chance in the world I can make it around the corners of the track

Have I gotten a hold of a typo setup sheet??
It says position #1 for lower front shock location which is the further most outside hole on the arms (one side has one hole the other two, I'm in the outside hole of the two holes as per setup sheet)

How can I move the shock position without screwing up the suspension geometry etc??

Any help would be greatly appreciated
__________________
Losi XXX-S G+..................Tamiya M03.......................TOP Photon
Losi XXX-4 G+.................HoBao ST Pro electric........Losi Micro SCT
Losi XXX-CR....................Losi Mini Baja.....................Losi XX-4 W/E
ASSociated RC12L4
T.O.P PHOTON EX & Tamiya M05 - currently undergoing rigorous crash testing!
paraletic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:00 AM   #8383
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,747
Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraletic View Post
I've been playing with one my photons using the exotec chassis and the 2011 reedy setup of ej's

What I've noticed is that on full lock the front rims foul on the lower front shock ball cups and spring seats, quite badly
If I set the end points so the rims clear there isn't a chance in the world I can make it around the corners of the track

Have I gotten a hold of a typo setup sheet??
It says position #1 for lower front shock location which is the further most outside hole on the arms (one side has one hole the other two, I'm in the outside hole of the two holes as per setup sheet)

How can I move the shock position without screwing up the suspension geometry etc??

Any help would be greatly appreciated
That setup is one of the only I've seen using that shock position, the rest of us use #2 position, it clears at full lock.
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #8384
BBP
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8
Default

hi there, i just recently bought photon. My car cannot go straight, i wonder what i should check out?
"trim" from the remote has already been tried to make the car go straight..but it didnt work out

thank you
BBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #8385
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salem
Posts: 999
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBP View Post
hi there, i just recently bought photon. My car cannot go straight, i wonder what i should check out?
"trim" from the remote has already been tried to make the car go straight..but it didnt work out

thank you
Front toe
__________________
T.O.P Racing USA

"This T-bird will put a spell on you"
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:33 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net