Search
Like Tree9Likes

T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hanulec
Battery side . My motor side is blocked by a fan.

Make sure you are using the steel layshaft. The end with the flat piece sticking up is on the screw side (battery side). Use a small screw driver to hold the layshaft from spinning while u wrench down on that single screw.
yes i have the steel layshaft in both cars,will place an order with tower for these screws & when i recieve them i will swap the layshafts over as i have the flat piece on the motor side
once again thanks for the info

graham
Old 04-05-2011, 08:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Professor
yes i have the steel layshaft in both cars,will place an order with tower for these screws & when i recieve them i will swap the layshafts over as i have the flat piece on the motor side
once again thanks for the info

graham
one last suggestion / recommendation - when i've run modified w/ the TOP Photon i initially had problems stripping spur gears. this was due to the fact that my kimbrough gears were not perfectly round within the layshaft. after stripping out about 5 108T gears I finally had some friends point out the best way to check gear mesh:

#1 set your gear mesh. tighten the motor screws fully
#2 rotate the spur gear a 1/4 turn and check the mesh. continue to rotate the spur until you go full circle.
#3 you may notice that eventually there is a section of the spur gear that is looser than the others -- focus on that part!
#4 once you find the loose part of the gear mesh, re-adjust the gear mesh here (and here only)
#5 repeat steps 2-4 if necessary
Old 04-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Tech Addict

Anyone using the alloy camber links? I'm assuming you have threadlocked the grub screw?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by chris_dono
Anyone using the alloy camber links? I'm assuming you have threadlocked the grub screw?
Hi Chris,

Yes ive just thread locked mine in :-) did you get the standard ones or the other's? I havnt had chance to test them yet.

Adam
Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 AM
Tech Master

one last suggestion / recommendation - when i've run modified w/ the TOP Photon i initially had problems stripping spur gears. this was due to the fact that my kimbrough gears were not perfectly round within the layshaft. after stripping out about 5 108T gears I finally had some friends point out the best way to check gear mesh:

#2 rotate the spur gear a 1/4 turn and check the mesh. continue to rotate the spur until you go full circle.
#3 you may notice that eventually there is a section of the spur gear that is looser than the others -- focus on that part!
#4 once you find the loose part of the gear mesh, re-adjust the gear mesh here (and here only)
yep thats how i set the mesh also,been doing it that way for years (i use 48 pitch spurs, 64 pitch is not so widely used here in aus)
also in your earlier post you said to put the single screw in the layshaft from the battery side,is that purely because of the fan on the motor side or was there another reason ???

graham
Old 04-06-2011, 03:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by nata1007
hello
Originally Posted by Professor
yep thats how i set the mesh also,been doing it that way for years (i use 48 pitch spurs, 64 pitch is not so widely used here in aus)
also in your earlier post you said to put the single screw in the layshaft from the battery side,is that purely because of the fan on the motor side or was there another reason ???

graham
Yes.. it doesn't matter which side you use... just don't use both screws.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hmm, I was set to buy a Yoko gear diff with some other parts I needed soon, only to find out there is like no stock, with none expected anytime soon...

So looks like I may have to buy the Spec-R to replace my failing Micro-Pro.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Tech Elite

Yes.. it doesn't matter which side you use... just don't use both screws.
Any problem if using both? I m looking at this car for my next car.
Old 04-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Adam Howe
Hi Chris,

Yes ive just thread locked mine in :-) did you get the standard ones or the other's? I havnt had chance to test them yet.

Adam

Hey Adam, I got the 1.75 ones, will give them a run this weekend, are you at WLRC ?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by dameetz
Any problem if using both? I m looking at this car for my next car.
Well it throws a bit if a tweak at the bulkheads that hold the layshaft. Even with this tweak Jason Schreffler won the Super Stock at the 2010 Snowbirds.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Bishop
Hmm, I was set to buy a Yoko gear diff with some other parts I needed soon, only to find out there is like no stock, with none expected anytime soon...

So looks like I may have to buy the Spec-R to replace my failing Micro-Pro.
rc-race-and-drift-japan has the Yokomo gear diff and oils in stock. Took about a week for my last order to get to the US.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by chris_dono
Hey Adam, I got the 1.75 ones, will give them a run this weekend, are you at WLRC ?
No chris, i cant make it due to work commitments. I have the 1.75 ones too i have noticed they dont clamp the bearing cams down either, il be testing them at halifax at some point so il let you know how it goes.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by XxRONNxX
rc-race-and-drift-japan has the Yokomo gear diff and oils in stock. Took about a week for my last order to get to the US.
They have 1. I was just about to place an order for a set... I assume it is worth the wait to get the real BD5 gear diffs vs the spec-r. I don't think I will get a chance to racing for another month, so waiting isn't a big deal.
Old 04-07-2011, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Adam Howe
No chris, i cant make it due to work commitments. I have the 1.75 ones too i have noticed they dont clamp the bearing cams down either, il be testing them at halifax at some point so il let you know how it goes.
That pesky work stuff, always getting in the way !

Will catch up next week and see what we think
Old 04-07-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yup, I read somewhere that ALL spur gears are not completely round, so I either do it the aforementioned way. Or, and this ALWAYS WORKS for any pitch gear, take one tooth bigger-snug it up all the way, tighten motor. Then take that pinion off and put on 1 tooth smaller---perfect mesh every single time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.