R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 AM   #6961
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: SOCAL/Norway STVG NATO
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

New car with NIP parts for sale

TOP Photon lipo edt with parts

Reason for sale is sticking to 12 scale
Blink281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #6962
Team Tekin
 
Randy_Pike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Norcal
Posts: 9,388
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike
Default

I would like to take a minute and thank EJ Evans from TOP for not only loaning me a car to drive for Snowbirds but treating me like a member of the team. The car was dialed, I wish the driver was

Thanks EJ!
__________________
Something about winning attracts losers with opinions......

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,KoPropUSA,JConcepts,Avid RC,MIP,SikLidz,ImagineItGraphx, FactoryRC, B-fast, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #6963
Tech Elite
 
pakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,077
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Are your shock caps vented? If you move the shaft fast enough you can hear the air escaping through the hole...
This is with the cap off. Here's what I do.

I fill the shock with oil. Then move the shaft/piston up and down to get all the air out from under the piston. I normally let it sit over night. Then I do it again to make sure there is no air trapped under the piston. If I move it up and down fast enough I get bubbles which seem to be coming in through the bottome seal because I can't imagine that much air being trapped under there.

My question is, is this normal? Because I can't see my shocks ever moving that fast in a race situation. It also takes a few pumps before I get bubbles to come up.
__________________
*Photon* *SC10 4x4*
RCRD
pakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #6964
Tech Master
 
Buckaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Norfolk, VA
Posts: 1,503
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Use a shock vacuum pump. You would be amazed at how much air can be trapped under the piston and in all the stuff under there. This will make your shocks SO much more consistent.

Click here for a link to Nexus Racing
__________________
Tom Keith

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #6965
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,105
Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
I would like to take a minute and thank EJ Evans from TOP for not only loaning me a car to drive for Snowbirds but treating me like a member of the team. The car was dialed, I wish the driver was

Thanks EJ!
Randy - it was great seeing you race onroad. I hope you do it again some time soon...
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #6966
Tech Master
 
rcfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Irvine, CA.
Posts: 1,254
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Does anyone use the alloy battery mount?
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #6967
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Does anyone use the alloy battery mount?
I use them. I know a few guys that use them. I like using the velcro strap.

Most of the really fast guys I know that drive photons just use battery tape. Some use a chassis where the alloy mounts wouldn't be an option, but others don't for some other reason. Maybe price or perhaps it gives a slightly higher center of gravity, I don't really know.


the penny stuck to my chassis is there because at the last big race I was under weight by a gram and it was the quickest way to make weight before my qualifier started.
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-battery-mount.jpg  
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8

Last edited by locked; 02-01-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #6968
Tech Elite
 
pakk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,077
Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Use a shock vacuum pump. You would be amazed at how much air can be trapped under the piston and in all the stuff under there. This will make your shocks SO much more consistent.

Click here for a link to Nexus Racing
I don't doubt that. I'm sure that is a better method. But if what you are saying is true, eventually these air bubbles will stop showing up. They don't ever seem to go away.
__________________
*Photon* *SC10 4x4*
RCRD
pakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #6969
Tech Master
 
rcfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Irvine, CA.
Posts: 1,254
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I use them. I know a few guys that use them. I like using the velcro strap.

Most of the really fast guys I know that drive photons just use battery tape. Some use a chassis where the allow mounts wouldn't be an option, but others don't for some other reason. Maybe price or perhaps it gives a slightly higher center of gravity, I don't really know.


the penny stuck to my chassis is there because at the last big race I was under weight by a gram and it was the quickest way to make weight before my qualifier started.
Thanks. I just bought one and didn't realize you needed two. I'm not sur I understood your post, can you use tape with it or is it just for the velco straps?
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #6970
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Thanks. I just bought one and didn't realize you needed two. I'm not sur I understood your post, can you use tape with it or is it just for the velco straps?
You can use battery tape with the mounts.

I meant most of the really fast guys I've seen just use the plastic tray or some custom CF hooks and then fiber battery tape under the chassis and over the battery in the typical fashion.
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #6971
Tech Master
 
rcfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Irvine, CA.
Posts: 1,254
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Gotch. One more question, what's a good FD for 13.5?
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #6972
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Gotch. One more question, what's a good FD for 13.5?
that depends on a lot of things like track size, ESC, boosted or 0 timing, motor, etc.

To give you a rough idea at least, last summer I ran boosted 13.5 on a big parking lot track. I was using a tekin rs pro and a boss (speed passion v3.) motor. Quite a bit of timing advance. I played with my FDR between about 6.8 and 8. I ended up liking it best around 7.1.

You definitely need to include details for a question like this and I'm sure I'm not the best person to answer it. I'm constantly learning new things in this hobby.
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #6973
Tech Master
 
rcfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Irvine, CA.
Posts: 1,254
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
that depends on a lot of things like track size, ESC, boosted or 0 timing, motor, etc.

To give you a rough idea at least, last summer I ran boosted 13.5 on a big parking lot track. I was using a tekin rs pro and a boss (speed passion v3.) motor. Quite a bit of timing advance. I played with my FDR between about 6.8 and 8. I ended up liking it best around 7.1.

You definitely need to include details for a question like this and I'm sure I'm not the best person to answer it. I'm constantly learning new things in this hobby.
Locked thx for the info. Sorry about the vague question. The last time I raced I ran 6 cell batts and brushed motor. I'm relearning the hobby and the lipo Brushless thing is all new to me.

I'm not sure what esc I'll be running, but for now I have a lrp SPX and a 13.5 motor that I will be running to shake the dust off
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #6974
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: TeamSR
Posts: 180
Default

I would like to thank the entire TOP Team whom attended the birds for their hard work and dedication. Special thanks goes out to EJ and Fairtrace for putting up with me while getting me up to speed with the lack of "NO" Sleep and wrenching on my car. I sincerly appreciate the team work!

Over the week of the snowbirds I have gained not only respect for the design and quality of the TOP Photon Sedan, but also for the good team that goes with this competitive rc car.

The car worked great all week, I am just a little rusty at the wheel. I would recomend this car to not only the serious racer, but the local weekend racers as well. The quality and precision is second to none. I am looking forward to the next race...
Mike Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #6975
Tech Elite
 
BigDogRacing's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 2,955
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dumas View Post
I would like to thank the entire TOP Team whom attended the birds for their hard work and dedication. Special thanks goes out to EJ and Fairtrace for putting up with me while getting me up to speed with the lack of "NO" Sleep and wrenching on my car. I sincerly appreciate the team work!

Over the week of the snowbirds I have gained not only respect for the design and quality of the TOP Photon Sedan, but also for the good team that goes with this competitive rc car.

The car worked great all week, I am just a little rusty at the wheel. I would recomend this car to not only the serious racer, but the local weekend racers as well. The quality and precision is second to none. I am looking forward to the next race...
Great performance at the Birds Mike! Was very impressed that you did so well running so many classes.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:08 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0