New car with NIP parts for sale

TOP Photon lipo edt with parts

Reason for sale is sticking to 12 scale
Blink281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM   #6962
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

I would like to take a minute and thank EJ Evans from TOP for not only loaning me a car to drive for Snowbirds but treating me like a member of the team. The car was dialed, I wish the driver was

Thanks EJ!

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,KoPropUSA,JConcepts,Avid RC,MIP,SikLidz,ImagineItGraphx, FactoryRC, B-fast, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:54 PM   #6963
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Are your shock caps vented? If you move the shaft fast enough you can hear the air escaping through the hole...
This is with the cap off. Here's what I do.

I fill the shock with oil. Then move the shaft/piston up and down to get all the air out from under the piston. I normally let it sit over night. Then I do it again to make sure there is no air trapped under the piston. If I move it up and down fast enough I get bubbles which seem to be coming in through the bottome seal because I can't imagine that much air being trapped under there.

My question is, is this normal? Because I can't see my shocks ever moving that fast in a race situation. It also takes a few pumps before I get bubbles to come up.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:03 PM   #6964
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Use a shock vacuum pump. You would be amazed at how much air can be trapped under the piston and in all the stuff under there. This will make your shocks SO much more consistent.

Click here for a link to Nexus Racing

Tekin & Sweep, thanks for all that you do for you know who!

Associated/T.O.P./Mugen/Fantom/Spektrum/Savox
Buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #6965
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy_Pike View Post
I would like to take a minute and thank EJ Evans from TOP for not only loaning me a car to drive for Snowbirds but treating me like a member of the team. The car was dialed, I wish the driver was

Thanks EJ!
Randy - it was great seeing you race onroad. I hope you do it again some time soon...
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #6966
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Does anyone use the alloy battery mount?
rcfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #6967
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Does anyone use the alloy battery mount?
I use them. I know a few guys that use them. I like using the velcro strap.

Most of the really fast guys I know that drive photons just use battery tape. Some use a chassis where the alloy mounts wouldn't be an option, but others don't for some other reason. Maybe price or perhaps it gives a slightly higher center of gravity, I don't really know.

the penny stuck to my chassis is there because at the last big race I was under weight by a gram and it was the quickest way to make weight before my qualifier started.
Attached Thumbnails
T.O.P. Racing "Photon" 1/10 EP Touring Car-photon-battery-mount.jpg  

Last edited by locked; 02-01-2011 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #6968
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post
Use a shock vacuum pump. You would be amazed at how much air can be trapped under the piston and in all the stuff under there. This will make your shocks SO much more consistent.

Click here for a link to Nexus Racing
I don't doubt that. I'm sure that is a better method. But if what you are saying is true, eventually these air bubbles will stop showing up. They don't ever seem to go away.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:53 PM   #6969
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
I use them. I know a few guys that use them. I like using the velcro strap.

Most of the really fast guys I know that drive photons just use battery tape. Some use a chassis where the allow mounts wouldn't be an option, but others don't for some other reason. Maybe price or perhaps it gives a slightly higher center of gravity, I don't really know.

the penny stuck to my chassis is there because at the last big race I was under weight by a gram and it was the quickest way to make weight before my qualifier started.
Thanks. I just bought one and didn't realize you needed two. I'm not sur I understood your post, can you use tape with it or is it just for the velco straps?
Old 02-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #6970
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks. I just bought one and didn't realize you needed two. I'm not sur I understood your post, can you use tape with it or is it just for the velco straps?
You can use battery tape with the mounts.

I meant most of the really fast guys I've seen just use the plastic tray or some custom CF hooks and then fiber battery tape under the chassis and over the battery in the typical fashion.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #6971
Tech Master

Gotch. One more question, what's a good FD for 13.5?
Old 02-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #6972
Tech Master

Quote:
Gotch. One more question, what's a good FD for 13.5?
that depends on a lot of things like track size, ESC, boosted or 0 timing, motor, etc.

To give you a rough idea at least, last summer I ran boosted 13.5 on a big parking lot track. I was using a tekin rs pro and a boss (speed passion v3.) motor. Quite a bit of timing advance. I played with my FDR between about 6.8 and 8. I ended up liking it best around 7.1.

You definitely need to include details for a question like this and I'm sure I'm not the best person to answer it. I'm constantly learning new things in this hobby.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:14 PM   #6973
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
that depends on a lot of things like track size, ESC, boosted or 0 timing, motor, etc.

To give you a rough idea at least, last summer I ran boosted 13.5 on a big parking lot track. I was using a tekin rs pro and a boss (speed passion v3.) motor. Quite a bit of timing advance. I played with my FDR between about 6.8 and 8. I ended up liking it best around 7.1.

You definitely need to include details for a question like this and I'm sure I'm not the best person to answer it. I'm constantly learning new things in this hobby.
Locked thx for the info. Sorry about the vague question. The last time I raced I ran 6 cell batts and brushed motor. I'm relearning the hobby and the lipo Brushless thing is all new to me.

I'm not sure what esc I'll be running, but for now I have a lrp SPX and a 13.5 motor that I will be running to shake the dust off
Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 PM   #6974
Tech Adept

I would like to thank the entire TOP Team whom attended the birds for their hard work and dedication. Special thanks goes out to EJ and Fairtrace for putting up with me while getting me up to speed with the lack of "NO" Sleep and wrenching on my car. I sincerly appreciate the team work!

Over the week of the snowbirds I have gained not only respect for the design and quality of the TOP Photon Sedan, but also for the good team that goes with this competitive rc car.

The car worked great all week, I am just a little rusty at the wheel. I would recomend this car to not only the serious racer, but the local weekend racers as well. The quality and precision is second to none. I am looking forward to the next race...
Mike Dumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 PM   #6975
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BigDogRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Dumas View Post
I would like to thank the entire TOP Team whom attended the birds for their hard work and dedication. Special thanks goes out to EJ and Fairtrace for putting up with me while getting me up to speed with the lack of "NO" Sleep and wrenching on my car. I sincerly appreciate the team work!

Over the week of the snowbirds I have gained not only respect for the design and quality of the TOP Photon Sedan, but also for the good team that goes with this competitive rc car.

The car worked great all week, I am just a little rusty at the wheel. I would recomend this car to not only the serious racer, but the local weekend racers as well. The quality and precision is second to none. I am looking forward to the next race...
Great performance at the Birds Mike! Was very impressed that you did so well running so many classes.
BigDogRacing is offline   Reply With Quote