R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #6616
Tech Elite
 
sosidge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Bristol, UK
Posts: 3,838
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKarate757 View Post
If you would run more than 1 degree of rear toe you might find a little more traction Seriusly. My car hooks up good at DRCW. If you put the dremel down and stop thinking a photon will work similar to a tc3/tc4 you "will" find more grip.
What he said...

You spent the last few pages telling us about all the modifications you were making to the car during the build... which had me scratching my head because the one thing I have learned over the years is that you should run the car out of the box before making any changes... sure enough, it seems the car isn't working for you!

If you had run the car out of the box, you would have found that it generates loads of rear grip. I spend most race meetings looking at ways to lose rear grip, not find it.

As you can probably tell from my profile, I race in the UK. You would be surprised at how low our grip can be. And I have never found the car to need a softer spring than the 306 on the rear.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #6617
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: VA Beach
Posts: 3,461
Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
You don't want to do that they will make you look like a fool. We do have lower grip, and even did some parkinglot races this summer, the fast guys driving their own cars will still be fast.
I have to disagree. I may not agree with everything Dave does, but he "is" a fast driver. So saying he would look like a fool, I would disagree. I have seen him woop up on xray t3's and photons-with a TC3(including me). He experiments more than anyone I know. And he has a valid point.
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #6618
Tech Elite
 
haywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,781
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Photon

I am often asked at the track why I run a Photon and it is simply because of the support I get from Micheal at T.O.P. not the support from the team drivers. Notice others like Xray and Associated top guys have their own forums where you can get info from them unlike the T.O.P. Drivers. There is no Ask Mr.Fairtrace Forum for a reason!
haywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #6619
Tech Elite
 
DaveW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 2,960
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
What he said...

You spent the last few pages telling us about all the modifications you were making to the car during the build... which had me scratching my head because the one thing I have learned over the years is that you should run the car out of the box before making any changes... sure enough, it seems the car isn't working for you!

If you had run the car out of the box, you would have found that it generates loads of rear grip. I spend most race meetings looking at ways to lose rear grip, not find it.

As you can probably tell from my profile, I race in the UK. You would be surprised at how low our grip can be. And I have never found the car to need a softer spring than the 306 on the rear.
I started with the kit setup. It was the very first thing that hit the carpet... and every board on its way around the track! lol

As a matter of fact, the kit setup was loose off power AND on power and traction rolled into the sweeper. Yeah... traction rolled on our skating rink.

I seriously have been through every combination on this car EXCEPT gear diffs. I havent messed with them because i felt adding an unknown variable to an unstable equation would just create more issues. So i figured i would get the car how i liked it (close), THEN add the gear diffs as a tuning option.

Since youre from the UK, you would probably be familiar with my current fave tire... im really liking the Sorex/Revlite/Schumacher insert combo for our track. Good grip, decent rim with just enough flex to help with a consistent feel. Ive been through the 24's 28's 32's and even 36's in my quest. (not to mention Muchmore compounds, Sorex on different rims with different inserts, ETC)

I think the one thing i have found that this car is really sensitive to, compared to my previous cars, is droop. I spent several hours yesterday working with those extremes looking for a sweet spot.
__________________
...you better run like im booger flickin...
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 01:28 PM   #6620
Tech Champion
 
MikeXray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 5,749
Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
What about the proliferation of XRAY caster blocks? You mean 4 degrees of caster from TOP isnt ideal for all tracks and surfaces? Hm.
The opening it about 2mm wider on both sides vs the top chub which is a requirement of adding an LCD style axle. I tried to get away with modified top chubs, but they broke very easily. Without using the LCD style axles though there is no reason to switch. (well if you want 2 or 6 dg you'd have too as well).
__________________
Mike L. Awesomatixusa.com | TQWire.com | Islandraceway.com |JacksonRCracing.com | Horsham RC | Sweepracingusa.com
MikeXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #6621
Tech Elite
 
Jerry P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,436
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

I have also run this car on a low traction track and tried a 289 spring and had nothing but bad results. I went back to the kit rear spring and put good tires on the car and that sure helped out a lot. At RCMadness they run any sweep tire and making the change to the Kitty 30's made a huge difference. When i went 289 in the rear it actually made my car more loose than it started.

I have to say that i am sure happy that Larry and Schreff put in a lot of time on High bite tracks because when i go to a big race i know i'll be pretty close to where i need to be.
__________________
Jerry P
Awesomatixusa - Side Piece Racing - LRP - Sweep Racing Tires - Mike L Designs - TQ Wires - Crispy Critters Raceway

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #6622
Tech Champion
 
hanulec's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: @ the post office
Posts: 8,333
Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
I am often asked at the track why I run a Photon and it is simply because of the support I get from Micheal at T.O.P. not the support from the team drivers. Notice others like Xray and Associated top guys have their own forums where you can get info from them unlike the T.O.P. Drivers. There is no Ask Mr.Fairtrace Forum for a reason!
i actually disagree w/ that. i'd love to see an ask larry. he tells you the truth - so you better be ready for it! i get the "truth" every week at the track. it is enlightening... and makes you a better driver.
__________________
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / MaxRotation FPV Drone Racing / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #6623
Tech Elite
 
Jerry P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,436
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
i actually disagree w/ that. i'd love to see an ask larry. he tells you the truth - so you better be ready for it! i get the "truth" every week at the track. it is enlightening... and makes you a better driver.
FJ has it right. Larry is right to the point. If you dont want someone to tell you like it is then dont ask Larry. I fear him but i deal with the pain just because it'll make me better.

FJ: my special package should be at your house tomorrow.
__________________
Jerry P
Awesomatixusa - Side Piece Racing - LRP - Sweep Racing Tires - Mike L Designs - TQ Wires - Crispy Critters Raceway

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #6624
Tech Master
 
Ron Goetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Goatsville, PA
Posts: 1,950
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
FJ: my special package should be at your house tomorrow.
__________________
The Goat... B-Mainer Fo' life
-Awesomatix USA-ROCHE USA-Team CRC-ORCA-SIDE PIECE RACING-TEAM DAK-EA Motorsports-VP Fuel-Trains and Lanes-CR Graphics-TQ Wire-Horsham RC-rugburn anyone?
Shut up and Race!!!!
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #6625
Tech Elite
 
Jerry P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Astoria, NY
Posts: 2,436
Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Goetter View Post
Dont get excited. It's my 1/12 scale.
__________________
Jerry P
Awesomatixusa - Side Piece Racing - LRP - Sweep Racing Tires - Mike L Designs - TQ Wires - Crispy Critters Raceway

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:16 PM   #6626
Tech Master
 
Ron Goetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Goatsville, PA
Posts: 1,950
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
i actually disagree w/ that. i'd love to see an ask larry. he tells you the truth - so you better be ready for it! i get the "truth" every week at the track. it is enlightening... and makes you a better driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
FJ has it right. Larry is right to the point. If you dont want someone to tell you like it is then dont ask Larry. I fear him but i deal with the pain just because it'll make me better.
I agree. It can be painful at times but in the end he's normally Right and it makes you better.
__________________
The Goat... B-Mainer Fo' life
-Awesomatix USA-ROCHE USA-Team CRC-ORCA-SIDE PIECE RACING-TEAM DAK-EA Motorsports-VP Fuel-Trains and Lanes-CR Graphics-TQ Wire-Horsham RC-rugburn anyone?
Shut up and Race!!!!
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #6627
Tech Master
 
Ron Goetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Goatsville, PA
Posts: 1,950
Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to Ron Goetter
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry P View Post
Dont get excited. It's my 1/12 scale.
SURE what ever you say Schrefftino

__________________
The Goat... B-Mainer Fo' life
-Awesomatix USA-ROCHE USA-Team CRC-ORCA-SIDE PIECE RACING-TEAM DAK-EA Motorsports-VP Fuel-Trains and Lanes-CR Graphics-TQ Wire-Horsham RC-rugburn anyone?
Shut up and Race!!!!
Ron Goetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #6628
Tech Champion
 
stiltskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,333
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanulec View Post
i actually disagree w/ that. i'd love to see an ask larry. he tells you the truth - so you better be ready for it! i get the "truth" every week at the track. it is enlightening... and makes you a better driver.
"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH". Just kidding. I'll disagree with you. I like the advice that the team provides and I like to see it on this thread. One stop shopping.
__________________
Tony Rumple
Team EAM // Gravity RC
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #6629
Tech Elite
 
RCFREAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: MEMBER OF THE "MWC" Mimi Wong Clan
Posts: 2,402
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Tony.. you meant,

I have to agree to disagree with you... and can i give ya advice on your advice?
__________________
Arv.
RC AMERICA// EA MOTORSPORTS// KO PROPO// ORCA
RCFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #6630
Tech Champion
 
stiltskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 5,333
Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK View Post
Tony.. you meant,

I have to agree to disagree with you... and can i give ya advice on your advice?
^^^^ Yeah, what he said.
__________________
Tony Rumple
Team EAM // Gravity RC
stiltskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:45 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net