R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #6586
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohan View Post
Nobody seems to be answering my question - do the tamiya front arms fit?
They actually do fit on the car. You have to drill out the outer hinge pin to fit the Photon pin though. You also won't be able to run sway-bars without coming up with a different system.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:50 AM   #6587
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone use the Tamiya springs and if you do use them what other parts do need from Tamiya to make them fit???
Derek_Siciliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 05:58 AM   #6588
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek_Siciliano View Post
Does anyone use the Tamiya springs and if you do use them what other parts do need from Tamiya to make them fit???
i have used the tamiya yellows and they fit just fine.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:43 AM   #6589
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I know at least 2 guys at the local track that use Tamiya yellows on both front and rear. I have used them on the rear of my car and they fit fine, but you just can't use the spacer ring that goes on the bottom. Same for all the TOP springs that aren't in the "Gamma" range.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 04:15 PM   #6590
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Old 12-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #6591
Tech Elite

For those wanting a wider selection of springs, you can pick up 4 lower shock spring cups from AE (Tc3/4 etc). They are offset to allow longer springs, proper rideheight for rubber tire, clearance on the arms, and fit the shock shaft and shock rod end perfectly. No mods.

Extra holes in your carbon shock towers NOT neccessary...
Old 12-21-2010, 05:00 AM   #6592
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke81 View Post
They actually do fit on the car. You have to drill out the outer hinge pin to fit the Photon pin though. You also won't be able to run sway-bars without coming up with a different system.
Just curious, why do you want to use tamiya arms? As far as I know the Photon arms are virtually unbreakable.
old-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #6593
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smoke81 Send a message via Yahoo to smoke81

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-man View Post
Just curious, why do you want to use tamiya arms? As far as I know the Photon arms are virtually unbreakable.

I don't know why you would want to run them. I gave my last set away at a big race (thought I had more), and its all I had to get the car back on the track. Thats the only reason I know they even fit.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:17 AM   #6594
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by old-man View Post
People tend to like to experiment but it usually just craps the car up.

I don't see the need to run other brands of springs or other arms on this car. The ones that are made by TOP are perfect for this car. The arms are basically indestructible even the new lightweight ones and the springs are cheap and very good. In rubber tire carpet I have never EVER run springs softer than 17lbs on any car I have ever owned and I have done fairly well for myself over the years.

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:10 AM   #6595
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kwikvdub

.....Ummm...... Hear him now or hear him later........

....... Bottom line, stick with the product........

TQRacing / 360 v2 RC Raceway / Team Downgrade Designs
Kwikvdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:17 AM   #6596
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
People tend to like to experiment but it usually just craps the car up.

I don't see the need to run other brands of springs or other arms on this car. The ones that are made by TOP are perfect for this car. In rubber tire carpet I have never EVER run springs softer than 17lbs on any car I have ever owned and I have done fairly well for myself over the years.
Well, Mr Fairtrace... not everyone races on a high grip track like you do on a regular basis. Other carpet tracks in the US do NOT have perfect levels of traction, OR a consistent feel.

Therefore, some people on this thread might like to know that they CAN run softer springs from other brands. Im currently using a 13lb spring on the back of my Photon, and it works pretty damn well.

My suggestion? Work on being a little more open minded... not so Negative Nancy. Thats just my opinion though... who am i? Just a local racer...
Old 12-21-2010, 10:26 AM   #6597
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Tho some may run realy soft springs... their is no need of it . I have ran on some shitty carpet and still the 306 in the rear work great. It still works cause the photon has many other mechanical ways to make traction u just need to expariment with other ways of achieving same end result wile still using the top brand parts. If it was nevessary to make a softer spring im shure top would be on it . If for no other good reasons the sales alone would be a good reason . I know im a parts junkie. If they made it i got it
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:00 AM   #6598
Tech Master

I tried Tamiya yellows because they were suggested by someone that knows a heck of a lot about TC setup and is probably the fastest driver at the local track. They worked pretty well, provided excellent grip, but during tech inspection after the first qualifier I was told my chassis was touching the carpet too much on the right side (layout had a couple high speed left hand sweepers), so I switched back to TOP 306 rear and 367 front. Lost maybe a little bit of grip, but my chassis stopped hitting the rug at least and any loss of grip wasn't really that noticeable.

The guy who suggested the softer springs has a narrower chassis that is balanced much lighter than mine. Until my new kit arrives, I just have the original chassis and mine weighs 1427g balanced.
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #6599
Tech Elite

Well of course TOP would make them... if they didnt want to continue to develop the product then they would still just have the foam spring set and nothing else.

Its obvious TOP is still interested in development of the car, every few weeks or so we have updates of new parts becoming available. One of the newest parts was the shorter steel bones. Why were these bones produced? Well, through the end user TOP realized that the longer bones created problems (broken blades) and the shorter aluminum bones wouldnt stand up to the abuse of a spool in the front end.

Its all part of development.

So when someone says, 'Hey guys, i found that you can use the softer springs from other manufacturers and they work pretty well', and someone else pipes up and says, 'Those are unneccessary, what comes with the car is just fine', then i feel that person isnt part of the developmental process. The rest are just nut swingers...

Trust me, softer springs work fine on the car... and looking for 'mechanical grip' elsewhere doesnt mean it will be the fastest the car can be. Roll center has to work in conjunction with spring rate to control weight transfer of the car at a specific static weight... on a given grip level. 306's are NOT the answer for every track.

As a matter of fact, i would love for some of these convinced racers to come to our home track, and try to run their current setup that 'works just fine' on our less than grippy surface. Ill bring the cam to post up the aftermath. Bring spares...
Old 12-21-2010, 11:15 AM   #6600
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
As a matter of fact, i would love for some of these convinced racers to come to our home track, and try to run their current setup that 'works just fine' on our less than grippy surface. Ill bring the cam to post up the aftermath. Bring spares...
You don't want to do that they will make you look like a fool. We do have lower grip, and even did some parkinglot races this summer, the fast guys driving their own cars will still be fast.