R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #6151
jrp
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
My kit came with the black steel layshaft. Any idea what to do with the tab on the end of it? It just spins around as i try to tighten the two layshaft screws. Seems pointless.
I just got both screws started and was able to snug them up one at a time. As it spins, it should snug the other side up enough to stop the spinning...at least it did for me.

- RC Gears for Android - Find it in the Android Market
jrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 08:33 AM   #6152
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well i like the idea because it is less likely to let the shaft indent the aluminum bulkhead through use, or once tightened... but theres no tab on the other side (for obvious reasons). I have already stripped a spurgear in a Photon i drove before... and seen many other Photons strip spur gears. Im just trying to avoid that i guess...

I think im gonna grind that tab off, mod the length of the shaft, and use an XRAY steel washer on each side of the layshaft. Im already using a flat head screw and cone washer on each side to make sure the shaft is 90 degrees of the bulkhead once secured.

Has anyone heard of someone machining some front and rear bulkheads out of steel? Nothing fancy. Just exact replicas. I would buy them if so...
Old 11-08-2010, 09:45 AM   #6153
Tech Elite

If there are any of you guys that have a slew of HPI or XRAY springs and are familiar with them and their performance (or hate to invest in new springs because you have a lot of $$ spent already)... i wanted to let you know you can get them to fit with a little custom work.

My kit front TOP spring is 24.90mm in length (this will of course vary with coil count) with a 14.10mm ID.

My longest HPI spring (non progressive) is 27.5mm in length with a 13.95mm ID.

My longest XRAY spring is 27.15mm in length with a 13.85mm ID.

Lower spring perch ID is 13.10mm, so spring ID isnt an issue.

If you mind how far you screw the shock shaft into the lower ballend you can make up some of the length difference there, for threaded body adjustment. Regardless, the added spring length needs to be compensated for at the upper shock mount, to be able to achieve acceptable ride heights.

The fix is easy... drill 2 new top mount holes 3mm lower, center to center in each carbon tower. Slot the bottom 2 holes in each carbon tower. Be sure to use flat head screws and their cone washers if you arent using the swaybar mounts. This will raise the shock towers to make up for the added spring length difference, and allow you to use any spring you wish.

The 3mm will also raise your rear body mounts. Body post holes are close to 4mm adjustments.
Old 11-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #6154
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

I use the hpi pro4 set from time to time and found there is enough gap with the collars alone to stay within 4.5-5.5 range of ride height on rubber tires.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #6155
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

DAVEW... stop dialing yourself out! instead of going through all that trouble with springs, the TOP springs are cheap enough already...

doing that mod with the shock towers, i think the results will be changing the roll center a little.... step back, give the dremel a BREAK!
Old 11-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #6156
Tech Elite

man, if your having a hard time with the side screws on the layshaft..i could imagine what else.... no trouble with wheel nuts?
Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 AM   #6157
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFREAK View Post
DAVEW... doing that mod with the shock towers, i think the results will be changing the roll center a little.... step back, give the dremel a BREAK!
ARV! When have you know me to dial myself out? Youre right, raising the shock tower will change the shock ratio... i just didnt see the need to get that detailed.

Quote:
man, if your having a hard time with the side screws on the layshaft..i could imagine what else.... no trouble with wheel nuts?
Nah, im just trying to learn from seeing the problems others have had... so when i drop the car down its done... and done right. And wheel nuts are overrated...
Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #6158
Tech Fanatic

X-ray springs will not work.. I tried and it will not hit ride height. (rubber tires) might work with foam
Mr.A Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:08 PM   #6159
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Use TM springs.
Works like a charm

regards Roy
Sponsered by me,myself and i :)
Pro10noob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 PM   #6160
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Quote:
DAVEW... stop dialing yourself out! .... step back, give the dremel a BREAK!
step away from the dremel roflmao
Jamison R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:55 PM   #6161
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKarate757 View Post
step away from the dremel roflmao
I wonder if Dremel would sponsor me... Cant be any worse than having Chick Fil A as a sponsor...
Old 11-08-2010, 01:16 PM   #6162
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzo3 View Post
Do the alloy lipo brackets fit on a 6cell chassis? Are there any other options instead of tape when using 6cell chassis and lipo?
+1
I am also very curious to know this..
audisten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #6163
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by audisten View Post
+1
I am also very curious to know this..
No the lipo bracket does not fit, there aren't holes for it.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #6164
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
If there are any of you guys that have a slew of HPI or XRAY springs and are familiar with them and their performance (or hate to invest in new springs because you have a lot of $$ spent already)... i wanted to let you know you can get them to fit with a little custom work.

My kit front TOP spring is 24.90mm in length (this will of course vary with coil count) with a 14.10mm ID.

My longest HPI spring (non progressive) is 27.5mm in length with a 13.95mm ID.

My longest XRAY spring is 27.15mm in length with a 13.85mm ID.

Lower spring perch ID is 13.10mm, so spring ID isnt an issue.

If you mind how far you screw the shock shaft into the lower ballend you can make up some of the length difference there, for threaded body adjustment. Regardless, the added spring length needs to be compensated for at the upper shock mount, to be able to achieve acceptable ride heights.

The fix is easy... drill 2 new top mount holes 3mm lower, center to center in each carbon tower. Slot the bottom 2 holes in each carbon tower. Be sure to use flat head screws and their cone washers if you arent using the swaybar mounts. This will raise the shock towers to make up for the added spring length difference, and allow you to use any spring you wish.

The 3mm will also raise your rear body mounts. Body post holes are close to 4mm adjustments.
I had a similar thing when using xray and tamiya springs, tried a different ride height adjuster, but in the end checked the shock shaft itself... there's a 4mm 'stub' on the end where you thread the ballcup on, check if yours has this and grind it off. No more ride height issues.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #6165
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.A Morris View Post
X-ray springs will not work.. I tried and it will not hit ride height. (rubber tires) might work with foam
I got the car down to 4.5mm ride heigth with xray black springs. Using jaco blues and sweep blues