R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #6106
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
Almost all modern TC's are very close to Yokomo's MR4 TC SP design dimensions. The Tc3 was almost indentical to the MR4 TC (i know, i owned both). Ideally they are all clones, with exception to the last Losi offering.

Whip out your micrometers... spend a few hours comparing parts. You will be surprised.
Put your hands up and step away from the micrometer!!!! Sir, put the dremel down!! I SAID DOWN!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #6107
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
Put your hands up and step away from the micrometer!!!! Sir, put the dremel down!! I SAID DOWN!!!!
Too late... already completed a custom FRP single position LiPo bracket (inner and outer) so it doesnt move in the event of an 'accident'... and the LiPo wont eject OR get pushed into the belt.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:45 AM   #6108
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

Quote:
Too late... already completed a custom FRP single position LiPo bracket (inner and outer) so it doesnt move in the event of an 'accident'... and the LiPo wont eject OR get pushed into the belt.
Seriously, I can't wait to see your car.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #6109
Tech Elite

Quote:
Almost all modern TC's are very close to Yokomo's MR4 TC SP design dimensions. The Tc3 was almost indentical to the MR4 TC (i know, i owned both). Ideally they are all clones, with exception to the last Losi offering.

Whip out your micrometers... spend a few hours comparing parts. You will be surprised.
TC SP? Really? My impression was that that car was a bit different to modern ones. Would love to have one in my hands again though - I think the chassis layout would be very good for balance with LiPo.

TC3 I agree on, the Pro4 is basically a metricised version of that, and most of the modern cars are a variation on those dimensions.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:56 AM   #6110
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
TC SP? Really? My impression was that that car was a bit different to modern ones. Would love to have one in my hands again though - I think the chassis layout would be very good for balance with LiPo.

TC3 I agree on, the Pro4 is basically a metricised version of that, and most of the modern cars are a variation on those dimensions.
The SP had its issues. Diff bolts didnt like mod motors. The 'enclosed' belt drive still had a way of letting grit in. You had to mod the chassis to clear larger spurs. Its front arms were fairly weak as well.

But it had alternate positions for inboard suspension arm hingepins (up/down) and shock tower positions for carpet and asphalt. Multiple camber link positions (length and height) A lot of what we see today was grafted from that design in some way shape or form.

I was one of the few first with a Tc3 in my area. I was using the SP both in stock and mod at the time. I put the Tc3 together and dropped it on my local track in stock class and picked up two laps. Matter of fact, it was only one lap slower than my SP in mod! The SP just couldnt be geared as high as the Tc3 for stock motors... heat was its enemy.

As inquisitive as i am, i took to comparison of both designs. The basics are there. The Tc3 was in effect a simplified/inexpensive version of what Yokomo had offered. TC would never be the same...

The Pro4 in my opinion, was that simple design put together with better quality products. If it were brought back to production with slight tweaks, i think it could be a dominant force in 17.5.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #6111
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiltskin View Post
Seriously, I can't wait to see your car.
I cant wait to WHEEL it!!
Old 11-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #6112
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:

While this maybe true from a measurement standpoint, there are some differences that can affect a cars performance. I setup my old MI3 with an almost photon clone geometry and the car still didn't turn. I think subtle differences in CG, flex, shocks and ackerman are what make very "similar" cars drive differently.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #6113
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeXray View Post
While this maybe true from a measurement standpoint, there are some differences that can affect a cars performance. I setup my old MI3 with an almost photon clone geometry and the car still didn't turn. I think subtle differences in CG, flex, shocks and ackerman are what make very "similar" cars drive differently.
Well, obviously. You can back your thought up staying closer to home... comparing the Tc3 and the Tc4. Both chassis are almost identical (geometrically), with a lot of parts interchangeability... both handle completely different.

The problem with the MI3 is just that... its an MI3.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #6114
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Hello everyone,

Car: TOP Photon.

I am looking for a little direction on how to set my new car up for the first time. I plan on running it on a carpet track with 32 rubber tires. I am at the point of building and putting on the suspension. I am looking for a set up sheet that can direct me for what shims and positions to use for a starting base. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have been reading as much as I can the last several days. I don't look to be competitive for awhile, but really want to learn about set up and get ideals. I have bought a book on this from the local shop. I have also meet several of the local racers and plan on having one of them look my car over. I just want to have it built and ready for this. So any set up sheets to get me started would be great.

Also, I am doing a document on my build from a noob stand point. I am a RC heli guy and have worked in the hobby for several years now. I have a some what in-depth mechanical background out side of the hobby.

Thanks Chris

Last edited by Mangoats; 11-05-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Mangoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:28 PM   #6115
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

This is a very good base setup.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Horsham Race of Champs setup.PDF (392.9 KB, 140 views)
Old 11-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #6116
Tech Apprentice

Thanks,

I really look forward to getting this car going. When I'm ready to post my write up where should I put it? Is it okay to post it here? There will be a ton of pictures.

Chris
Old 11-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #6117
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangoats View Post
Thanks,

I really look forward to getting this car going. When I'm ready to post my write up where should I put it? Is it okay to post it here? There will be a ton of pictures.

Chris
hi I'm franko from tacoma..
You should talk to Darrin or Arrin Morris ..their set up works great for TZ2 & RCPlus

Last edited by OVA; 11-05-2010 at 05:06 PM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:06 PM   #6118
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Franko

I have spoken with Aaron Morris. Not sure if that is how he spells Aaron. Very nice guy. He was there when I bought my car yesterday and helped me pick out wheels/tires, plus shock oil. Was able to get his number from him. Purchased car from RCplus.

I used to know Ron the owner of RCplus when I was a little kid from the hobby shop he helped manage. Very nice guy and love that I have gotten to speak to him again now that I'm a little older now. 35! He always treated me with respect when I was younger and this is what I remember about him. People like that are why I am in the hobby today. Thanks Ron.

The build is going good. Very interesting to see how complex the set up are. This is one thing that has drawn me to this. I have been flying helis for 10 years now and love how complex it is. Plus this will give me something to do in the winters here in Oregon when I can't fly.

Ron informed me that Waylin Rose was a racer in the Seattle area. Did I spell that right? I know Waylin from him coming to the Snohomish Heli events. Good pilot, always enjoy watching him fly.

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited by Mangoats; 11-05-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Mangoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #6119
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangoats View Post
I have spoken with Aaron Morris. Not sure if that is how he spells Aaron. Very nice guy. He was there when I bought my car yesterday and helped me pick out wheels/tires, plus shock oil. Was able to get his number from him.

The build is going good. Very interesting to see how complex the set up are. This is one thing that has drawn me to this. I have been flying helis for 10 years now and love how complex it is. Plus this will give me something to do in the winters here in Oregon.

Thanks,
Chris

Yea I spell his names wrong...lol...yes he's a nice guy...AND he's gettting faster
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:00 PM   #6120
Tech Apprentice

MikeXray,

Thank you for the link.

Chris